• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

my first suit, w. photos; looking for constructive criticism

processing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought my first suit and other formal dress for an impending interview, which will take place about two weeks from today. I was referred to this forum as a good place to receive brutally honest and constructive feedback, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Please let me have it; there's no other way to learn. I'm specifically interested in any suggestions for alterations I should obtain, but if the whole thing turns out to be a complete disaster, then I can still return most of the items (that's why the tags are still attached). All I know for now is that the pants need to be hemmed.

I had a very low budget, all the stuff on me was obtained at various winter sales. The suit is Lauren by Ralph Lauren (Bay $150). The shirt is Enro from Sears ($22). Tie is DKNY from Winners ($25). Coat is Jonathan Robert, which looks to be an obscure storebrand from Stars ($170). Any thoughts on the brands? Were there better alternatives within my price range?

I did some cursory research on sartorial matters before buying this stuff, but now I'm afraid it was not enough; I found out some things about L by RL and fused suits that might've made me think twice. On the other hand, I'm not sure I could've done much better with my budget.

The photos didn't turn out as well as I thought. If they're not usable for a critique, I'll take some more in natural daylight and see how that works out. All input is highly appreciated!

Edit: Allright, as promised, here are the new photos. Hopefully they're better suited for the purpose of criticism.

I'm wearing a different shirt here. Still 14.5, but a different brand, and about four times more expensive than the old one. I also went with a wider knot this time--a Full Windsor, the previous being a Pratt--since the collar ends are further apart on this shirt.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't tell anything with those angles and that lighting. What I can say, however, is that your shirt collar is about 3-5 sizes too big.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better pictures are necessary to get a good judgement. From what I can tell, take the suit to a tailor and have the sleeves narrowed, the waist taken in, and taper & hem the trousers.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Need good pics. No fashion poses, just straight up head to toe with good lighting. Front, back, side.

From what I see, the suit may not be that bad, but the shirt neck is huuuuuge.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saiyar1
Need good pics. No fashion poses, just straight up head to toe with good lighting. Front, back, side.

From what I see, the suit may not be that bad, but the shirt neck is huuuuuge.

+1. Better pics are needed but you definitely need to size down at least a half inch + on the shirt collar size.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... Thanks for clearing The Bay thing up
wink.gif

processing

Reaction score
Regarding the pics, I'm definitely going to be taking some new ones, and better poses. Regarding the shirt collar size, do you guys mean it extends too far up my neck? Or is the fabric of the lapel too long? I don't think the neck size is meant, because it's a 14 1/2 and it's a snug fit. This is excellent feedback because I bought three of these shirts and I should probably exchange them since there is a significant consensus. Now that I look at it, there does seem to be something wrong with the collar. Also, I'm not digging the side buttons. I was directed to these shirts by a sales associate when I requested "the highest quality shirts that you have".
frown.gif
I have another shirt by Stonehouse that I bought that I can try on for tomorrow. @PaoloM: That would be 'The Bay' as in the 'Hudson's Bay Company', a department store in Canada. I've never bought anything on E-Bay. Maybe I should've gone that route though. Thanks for all the feedback.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That ain't a snug fit. There should not be a huge gap between your neck and the collar. If it's a 14.5, than you've got to have the world's skinniest neck on an adult. Try kid's sizes if you have to, but that collar is nowhere close to the right size.

The button down collar is fine though. If you don't like it, get something else, but it's a perfectly acceptable option.

processing

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, I see what you all mean now. The snug fit is at the bottom of my neck, below the adam's apple, where the neck starts to taper into the chest. It's almost uncomfortably tight there; I thought it might be because I'm not used to dress shirts. I didn't realize I had such a weird neck.
laugh.gif

reidrothchild

Reaction score
As others have said, you can't tell much from these pictures. Lauren suits aren't bad for $150. To find anything even half-canvassed anywhere near that price range, you'd have to take your chances with a used suit from the interwebz. If the suit fits you well or can fit you well with minimal tailoring, it should be fine. If you're putting together a starter wardrobe, make sure you buy yourself a decent pair of shoes.

saiyar1

Reaction score
The collar is so big it is hanging really low almost resting on your collar bones. It should be snug on your neck with space for only two fingers to be slipped in between your neck and the shirt collar. If you are this slim, I'm imagining you have the shirt super blousy and loose at your waist. I see you're on a tight budget, so I would recommend checking out Express modern fit (or even the slimmer Fitted cut) in small or extra small. They have buy one get one 50% off, plus there's a $15 off every $60 you spend coupon expiring tomorrow (Google: "Express printable coupon"). If you dry them in the dryer, they shrink about half a size (or just hang dry to avoid that), so keep that in mind. Honestly, I think you can easily get away with what you have now and interview totally effectively with 99% of people (read: non style-obsessed people). But since you're up for some constructive criticism, let's step it up even within your budget
wink.gif

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously the shirt collar is horrible. Go to a tailor or even a Brooks Brothers to get measured, record and do an online MTM

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
Test it according to these criteria and I don't think you can go too far wrong with a plain navy suit.
http://www.esquire.com/style/tips/suit-fit-0708

I second what others have said about the shirt, it should fit higher up the neck.
The most glaringly obvious problem to me is the trouser length, and you already know about that.

Could you have done better if you'd shopped around\\bought second-hand? Probably. But for a first suit at that price point, you haven't done too badly.

But don't listen to me, I'm still learning too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads