• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Suit - looking for thoughts on style choices

Reaction score
I'm looking into buying my first suit. I'm 6'3" 185lbs, athletic build. I'm looking for something current and stylish, but not to fashion-forward. It will probably be the only suit I own for the next several years, so it needs to work for all occasions and seasons. Currently I have no real need to own a suit, but I feel like should have one you know?

I'd like some feedback on what I plan to purchase:

JACKET
2-Button Single-Breasted with narrow notch lapel. Side vents, flap slant angle pockets, with a slanted flap ticket pocket on the right. Welt breast pocket, regular cuffs, no lapel stitching.

PANT
Flat Front with 1/8 Top side pockets and button-thru back pockets. A 2" Cuff with medium leg break.

VEST
Standard with no lapels, 5-Button with 2 Welt Pockets. And the lining should match the jacket I'm assuming.

Fabric, I was planning on a mid-gray possibly Herringbone wool and I'm not really sure what color lining.

Here's an image that might help: http://ge.tt/2Obme1x/suit.png

Obviously all this is a matter of choice but I really have no idea what I'm doing or really looking for, I came up with all this after a day or so of research into suit style trends.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For several years of being the only suit:
scratch the narrow lapels. Get average - wide lapels will come back into style and then narrow will look dated. If you stay "classic" then you'll look exactly that.

Ticket pocket will make it obvious you only own one suit (but you might not care)

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
Ticket pocket will make it obvious you only own one suit (but you might not care)

why is that?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
For several years of being the only suit:
scratch the narrow lapels. Get average - wide lapels will come back into style and then narrow will look dated. If you stay "classic" then you'll look exactly that.

Thanks Kajak, that's the type of advice I'm looking for. I'll go with the standard lapel.

And the ticket pocket will be too formal for most occasions?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ticket pocket's too informal. As are the hacking (angled) pockets. You're having this suit made, right? Pick large cuffs or a break; 2" cuffs pretty much require no break. Get the pick stitching on the lapels - this is the one touch of handmade suits that doesn't look over the top.

Get a solid color. Grey or navy.

You're going to wear this suit for weddings, interviews and funerals. It should be as plain and well-made as possible. Who's going to make it?

saiyar1

Reaction score
Get:
- Standard lapel size
- Pick stitching on lapel
- Ditch the ticket pocket (if you need to wear the suit several days in a row, the common person will notice a ticket pocket as "different" and will know you only have one)
- I guess since you're tall you can pull off 2" cuffs. They are big; people here like them but they are not all that traditional. People here go ridiculous on the cuffs sometimes.
- Get a darker navy or preferably a dark grey/charcoal. Charcoal will be dark for very formal situations but also looks great for a night out.
- I wouldn't get a very fitted "Dior looking suit" but make sure it fits very well/sleek on your frame. If it's just enough to work professionally but slim enough to function casually too, you'll have a great utility suit.

Who is making this for you? Bespoke or MTM?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Ticket pocket's too informal. As are the hacking (angled) pockets. You're having this suit made, right? Pick large cuffs or a break; 2" cuffs pretty much require no break. Get the pick stitching on the lapels - this is the one touch of handmade suits that doesn't look over the top.

Get a solid color. Grey or navy.

You're going to wear this suit for weddings, interviews and funerals. It should be as plain and well-made as possible. Who's going to make it?

You're right, as plain as possible is what I'm going for, but I would like it to be stylish. I think I'll stick to a mid gray, but I'll lose the pattern, I don't much about fabrics anyhow. Any rules on the color of the lining?

Ticket pockets and hacking pockets are more informal, got it thanks.

As for pants, I was under the impression 2" cuffs were large, not the case?

Disusing who will be making it would require a thread of it's own, but since you asked...I'm flying to Thailand next month and I plan on have it made in Bangkok, I'm sure everyone here will advise me not to do that, but I'd like to take my chances since I'm sure I don't have the money for it to be made here in USA.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend getting charcoal or dark blue/navy color and fore go the vest.

What is your approximate budget?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
I recommend getting charcoal or dark blue/navy color and fore go the vest.

What is your approximate budget?

I could be talked into charcoal, maybe something like this:

11516841751Cu1oc.jpg

Would that be considered Bird's Eye? Or how would I ask for a fabric like that?

My thoughts on the vest were that since this will be my only suit, it would be nice if I had the option of wearing a 3 piece in the case I needed it. But you're right, in most cases, I probably won't.

As for my budget, I'd rather focus this thread on style and details rather than how much money I should spend or am willing to spend.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just get a charcoal serge. I know it's tempting to get something with visual interest, but dont do it.

changy

Reaction score
Go with a dark color for the lining. Same logic as the no ticket pocket, colorful lining will stand out and make it obvious that you only have one suit.

I say ditch the vest and spend the money on another pair of pants (or shoes/shirts/ties).

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quadropalsitcs
Disusing who will be making it would require a thread of it's own, but since you asked...I'm flying to Thailand next month and I plan on have it made in Bangkok, I'm sure everyone here will advise me not to do that, but I'd like to take my chances since I'm sure I don't have the money for it to be made here in USA.

are you flying to thailand for some other purpose and thinking of getting the suit made there since you're there anyway...?
because i'm pretty sure a flight to thailand isn't cheap... and you could skip the flight and put that money toward the suit

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure he's going with the sole purpose of buying a suit....and no other reason.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by changy
Go with a dark color for the lining. Same logic as the no ticket pocket, colorful lining will stand out and make it obvious that you only have one suit.

I say ditch the vest and spend the money on another pair of pants (or shoes/shirts/ties).

Dark Color Lining, that makes sense thanks.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Just get a charcoal serge. I know it's tempting to get something with visual interest, but dont do it.

Serge, that would be the default or most common fabric weave?

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I'm sure he's going with the sole purpose of buying a suit....and no other reason.

I hope that was a joke, of course I have a vacation to Thailand planned. I thought since I'm there I might as well see if I can get a reasonable suite made. I've heard you have to know exactly what you want, or you'll get something terribly out of fashion, which is why I'm asking for all of your help.

Thanks so much by the way, as of two days ago I knew nothing about suits, or pocket types or fabric weaves, this is all very interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads