• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first suit: Bought from MW, doesn't fit now

sfmman2000

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought my first suit from MW a few weeks ago. After they tailored it, the coat was too tight around my armpits and overall uncomfortable to wear. They weren't supposed to alter anything around the armpit, and I don't remember it being tight when I tried it on. Also, the double vents aren't lying flat.

I haven't worn it out yet. When I tried on the suit upon picking it up, the employee claimed that the suit fit me just fine, even though I told her that the coat fit me differently than it did before it was tailored. The only alteration was supposed to have been to make the sleeves shorter.

I want to go back to MW to have them do something to fix my problem, but does anyone know what I can expect from them? If they can't tailor it to fit me, can I expect to get another suit? How do they work things out when customers are not happy?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're gonna like the way you look, I guarantee it.

dasai

Reaction score
Assuming, for the moment, that they did do something to take in the waist/chest when you didn't ask them to, I'd say that it's grounds for a refund.

On the other hand, are you absolutely sure it's the suit that fits differently, and not you fitting into the suit?

sfmman2000

Reaction score
^^ I'm sure it's the suit that fits differently. I haven't gained any weight since I first tried on the suit. For what it's worth, the pants still fit perfectly.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask for a refund and if they deny it call theior customer service number.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Don't EVER listen to a salesman's opinion on whether or not you look good in something, especially a salesman at MW. Most salesmen will tell you that you look good in everything to get a commission. I doubt you'll get a refund. Pre-SF, I tried to return an unworn item that I wasn't happy with because of fit issues, and the manager told me they didn't allow returns on altered garments. They had their tailor or seamstress or whatever try to fix my fit issues, but they only made matters worse. I didn't raise a stink because it was my fault for making an impulse buy. The lesson I learned was that I'd rather pay $500 for one suit I'm happy with than $500 for two suits that suck. So my advice would be to, first, seek a refund. If that fails, really think about whether the issues you have are things you can live with. If they are minor, just enjoy the suit and understand that you can't expect perfection out of $200 suit. If the problem makes the suit unwearable, you can roll the dice with whatever marginally-skilled tailor they have access to. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads