1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My first sportcoat!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Alias, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Alias

Alias Senior member

I'm going to get my first sportcoat. It's actually something of a "test" to give my tailor to see whether or not he can pull off the "pagoda shoulders" displayed by some Neapolitan jackets. That having been said, I'm wondering what a good starter color/pattern would be. I'm looking for something that looks like it belongs on a sportcoat, but isn't flashy or memorable enough so it can survive being worn more than once a week.

2. Phil

Phil Senior member

summer or winter sport coat?

3. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Although Phil's question is a good one, you might think of a year-round item, as you don't seem to need a lot of jackets. A single-breasted navy cashmere blazer with or without metal buttons might make sense.

4. Alias

Alias Senior member

Yeah, I was thinking about a year-round, although one for the upcoming winter wouldn't be so bad.

5. Phil

Phil Senior member

agree, if its going to be worn more than once a week, you might think of a plain navy coat. otherwise you will quickly be known as the guy in the plaid coat or the guy in the houndstooth coat, etc.

6. Alias

Alias Senior member

Anyone have any success with non-blazer buttons for a plain navy coat? There aren't too many blazer-wearers here, and to me brass buttons are just a little too blingin' for my tastes.

7. tdial

tdial Senior member

Alias (great avatar, by the way, though I miss your old one),
    What do you mean by "pagoda" shoulders? I haven't heard that term before.

8. Phil

Phil Senior member

there are lots of options for buttons other than brass. I agree with you, those shiny brass buttons are a bit much for me. My blue blazer is Oxxford, and has really cool looking antique brass buttons that dont even look brass. You can get all manners of buttons from button stores that are acceptable to wear. some people like to wear buttons that have their college insignia, and others wear buttons with dogs or birds or something similar. Be creative, there are millions of choices.

9. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

A Harris posted on this forum that he always removes the brass buttons. I have a navy cashmere unconstructed blazer without brass buttons that I wear with the same accessories as my brass buttoned blazers. Roetzel, the fashion writer, on the other hand, says they're necessary to be a blazer. If your wardrobe is prep (buttondown shirts etc), I'd say go with the brass buttons. If it's not, and you don't like them, there's no requirement.

10. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I had my navy blazer made with grey MOP buttons. Came out pretty sharp. I little more sleek and less prep-schoolish than the traditional gold buttons.