1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My first shoes with Topy put on

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by IBJanky, May 4, 2010.

1. RSS

RSS Senior member

Saw a fellow the other day ... his bluchers had this flip-flop thing/sound going on. I found myself wondering if his topy was coming loose.

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I was wondering recently if soleguards were common or not, and it seems they are. I have been using soleguards for years now for 3 reasons, durability, grip and to avoid the leather sole getting soaked. On all 3 counts it has worked for me, especially regarding grip: leather soles, rain and flagstones or marble made for some near-slips. I have found some leather soles to be quite hazardous in the wet.
    I would acknowledge that rubber has "grippier" surface than leather especially in high friction circumstances...that's why I remarked on my experiences dancing. But even if some folks don't want to hear this, I have worn leather soled boots in wet and snowy/icy conditions for over forty years. Inside and out. My heels (made of vibram rubber) have always been far more likely to go out from under me than the leather sole. That said, I learned early on to walk with my center of balance more nearly over the balls of my feet (helps when waltzing, as well) rather than with my pelvis thrust forward [​IMG]. I can't think of the last time I slipped, much less fell. Think about the mechanics of it for a moment. The rubber has no pores. My experience is that once the "traction" pattern has worn off the rubber (and it's almost more of a texture than a real "tread" on any of these sole guard materials), it will slip almost easier on ice than leather will. It ends up being a slick, water proof, non-absorbent, surface. On the other hand, leather tends to develop a fibrous" surface and even embeds some grit...all of which will tend counter slippage. Once a leather outsole has been worn sufficiently to get past the wax, it is extremely rough surfaced and when wet tends to conform to the topography of the surface underneath it. I'm not going to convince anyone here (I'm not even trying)...I'm not against Topy or Sole Guard or anything like it. It's just "carrying coals to Newcastle is all. "

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

When it comes to the topy ... what would I do if a beautiful woman asked me to dance? I really don't want to find myself in a situation where I'm forced to respond, "In these shoes? I don't think so."

4. kylelovesyou

kylelovesyou Senior member

When it comes to the topy ... what would I do if a beautiful woman asked me to dance? I really don't want to find myself in a situation where I'm forced to respond, "In these shoes? I don't think so."

In my short life, I have never asked myself the question "what would I do if a beautiful woman asked me to dance?" That's kind of sad, actually.

5. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

It's like destroying the village to save it?

Pyrrhic victory?

6. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

In my short life, I have never asked myself the question "what would I do if a beautiful woman asked me to dance?" That's kind of sad, actually.
    Learn to dance...well. Hang out where dancing is going on. Sit by yourself or with a wingman to make it clear you're unattached. Ask one woman to dance one time. You'll get asked to dance by more women than you can remember in a night. Don't fawn. Problem solved...glad I could help. [​IMG]

7. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Dig the late Kirsty MacColl reference

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

Dig the late Kirsty MacColl reference
    I must admit ... I look for the opportunity to "borrow" it.

9. tnd

tnd Well-Known Member

where can i find a good cobbler in NY for this?

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

where can i find a good cobbler in NY for this?

Most cobblers should be able to do it, but B Nelson and Minas Shoe Repair are particularly well regarded.

11. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Anyone know of a good cobbler in L.A?
    Somebody you know from experience?