• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Shoe Appreciation Thread (Amateur/Underage)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Here's four of the nicest shoes from my very very young shoe collection (I have a few more, but not really worth posting here). These were pretty much aquired at random - no real rhyme or reason except for the fact I got a good deal on the shoe. Let me know what you think, and in what direction you think I should move next.

From left to right:

1) Gravati 'handmade' (not sure if this is a different line) monkstraps done in really supple pebbled calfskin. Really nice for wearing with jeans.

2) Harris Fatte al Mano burgundy loafers. I really like the toe shape on these. I have started to polish them with black (and intend to do so a few more times) to get an antiquing going. I think it's going to look really nice around the stitching on the top of the shoe.

3) Grenson brogues in British tan.

4) Crockett & Jones Savile in dark brown antique calf. I am polishing these with black and burgundy, at least for a few more times, to see if I can't get a really excellent antique job on them.

shoesfront.jpg

She looks great from the side:

shoesside.jpg

shoeangle.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice! I like the Harris shape too, and the Savile looks really nice.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sexy!
wow.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great taste in monks, VM. I like mine with nice, largish, squared-edge buckles. Both of your selections strike my fancy, particularly the Gravati. I'd like to have a pair of those myself. They seem to be wearing in very well, too.

I'm not a loafer guy, in general. But your brogues are a handsome color.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Dig the Harris FAM loafers man, those'll look real keen with the black polish worked into em!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Sexy!
wow.gif

Wow, a compliment from the Appreciation man himself.

This is like god giving me the Fonzie thumbs up and exclaiming "eyyyyy!!"

Maybe I'll post some pics in a month or two showing the progression w/ using different colors of polish.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoes VMan! I especially like the monkstraps.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CJ is exceptional, what last is that?
I am warming to the 337 as I believe this is what you have there.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The C&J Savile is indeed on the 337 last. Btw VM, keep hitting it with the darker polishes. C&J handgrades take polish and antique about as well as any shoes I have.
thumbs-up.gif

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Drummond and Hallam on the Last 348 are absolute Deity like status to my eye.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
The Drummond and Hallam on the Last 348 are absolute Deity like status to my eye.

Soph...also keep an eye out for the Alex, Tetbury and Croydon which are also on the 348 and drop dead gorgeous!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Soph...also keep an eye out for the Alex, Tetbury and Croydon which are also on the 348 and drop dead gorgeous!

--- Like a Vass U last in design? Too bad CJ does not up this last to handgrade status which I assume would give it the added refinement it so deserves.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
--- Like a Vass U last in design? Too bad CJ does not up this last to handgrade status which I assume would give it the added refinement it so deserves.

Have you seen the 350 handgrade last? It's somewhat similar to what you're describing. As of now, only three models are available on it. Balmuir II, Portman and the Campden boot. here's a shot of the Balmuir II:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics