• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Seersucker

trogdor

Reaction score
Those of you in Toronto might be interested to know that Stollery's currently has a 25% off sale on Haspel seersucker and madras stuff. Some pretty cool pieces there.

Given that I'm about to leave North America, I thought I'd better pick one up, and I'm very pleased with it. I think it will work both as a suit and (gasp!) as separates, as both the jacket and pants are pleasingly slim cut. It's this one (but that's not me in the picture):
1000825haspel_searsuckerblu151ac1.jpg

I already saw this thread here, but are there any more suggestions on how to wear seersucker? It's my first time, see. More pictures would be marvellous too.

auto90403

Reaction score
i think only men in the southern US can pull off seersucker suits as in the pic above.

it makes every man look like a teenager at his sister's wedding. for most of us, it's too casual a look, too upper class goofing off in newport.

i'm not sure where such a suit is suitable if you're a normal male

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I bought one of the STP Haspels a few weeks ago, and very much like it. I've worn it once as a suit and then this week I wore the coat as a sportcoat paired with a pink button down, off white trousers and white/tan saddle oxfords. I'm going to try the trousers as a separate, too, at some point.

Obviously, not all men have the confidence to pull off seersucker.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trogdor
are there any more suggestions on how to wear seersucker?

Last night I wore a grey SS with a navy blue knit polo style sweater(Smedley Sea Island cotton) and black espadrilles sans socks.

I usually wear SS casually, sans tie and socks, as suit and separates equally but occasionally I'll put on a tie and white bucks for a wedding or garden party.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Congrats on the suit. I wore my newest Haspel SS to a wedding yesterday afternoon/evening. I wore it with a pink spread collar shirt from Jantzen, a pink/white striped Polo tie in linen, a pink/white polka dot silk handkerchief, and AE Byrons in chestnut. I received a number of compliments. I love how well this suit fits and that it only cost $99. Being all cotton and 3/8 lined, it is a fantastic summer suit.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only worn mine once so far this summer since getting it (not much call for a suit in the summer for me), but I did something like that picture.

A crisp white shirt is nice and clean. However, I found that some greens work well and a certain shade of pink or violet will too (of course I suspect others will, I just didn't try them). However, too dark a shade of pink made me look like an ice cream cone. Ridiculous. Btw, these are all solids--I couldn't really find a patterned shirt that went real well. Has anyone tried a gingham check?

I think the tie is the bigger challenge. You have to either have large diagonal stripes (as in that pic in post #13 in that other thread), a small pattern that complements the color, or the balls to really mix patterns. Nothing in my closest really suits itself to mixing patterns with that faint stripe. Or maybe I just don't have the balls.

And as good as Tommy Lee might have looked, I fear that any pairing of a t-shirt, trainers, etc. with seersucker just looks too AmJack. You know every one of them will be doing it now. Sad.

Has anyone tried cordovan colored shoes with theirs?

bob

trogdor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Btw, these are all solids--I couldn't really find a patterned shirt that went real well. Has anyone tried a gingham check?

I thought I'd try it with quite a large pattern, like a really big check, or something floral. I'd be worried that small patterns (like gingham) might be too noisy against the stripes of the seersucker.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think solid shirts look best with SS

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I favor solid shirts with solid ties.

It's difficult to see but this shirt is pink.

......23.jpg

......16.jpg

......18.jpg

SS with linen shirt and trousers, classic.

Shoes480.jpg

Don't laugh but I sometimes sport a Full Cleveland(Ferragamo style)

shoes0060yj.jpg

Although I do favor espadrilles sans socks.

Shoes190.jpg

I've been eyeing these Paul Stuart loafers.

602-8094.jpg

Of course, these shoes are sublime.

145H_enlarged.jpg

trogdor

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures, Tomasso. These are just what I was looking for.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't actually wear thes spectators with my seersucker, in fact more often I'll wear the Weston loafers above them, but I thought this was a good excuse to post a bad pic of my favorite summer loafers . . .

113_1382.jpg

113_1381.jpg

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Methinks it's time to get out my own seersucker suit and give it a whirl. I was down in Carmel recently, sporting my first true summer outfit (linen trousers -- light tan, light blue plaid spread collar shirt, tan belt, rust windowpaine Kiton jacket, Santoni FAM cap toes).

It felt great to be out and about in linen again!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overstock.com has some Haspel suits and sport coats at more than 50% off.

Duveen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I favor solid shirts with solid ties.

Although I do favor espadrilles sans socks.

Shoes190.jpg

Who does good espadrilles? What should they cost?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads