• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Ray-Ban RB2132-902 New Wayfarer

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Hey!

I want to pick up a pair of the Ray-Ban RB2132-902 New Wayfarer.

I'm thinking if I should go for the Black Frame/G-15-XLT Lens or Tortoise Frame/G-15-XLT Lens.

Which one would you guys recommend? I figured the Tortoise popped more, but the black is classic.

or

Thanks guys! :D

AndyMG

Reaction score
I own the black. Like you say, they're classic. I love the slightly smaller frame size.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go with whichever suits your hair & skin tone the better. If you have black hair and a darkish complexion, you'll almost certainly look better in the black pair, for example. Much like clothes (in fact, even more so) I don't think it's wise to consider colours of frames without considering the colours of the individual who will be wearing it.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wore the black one for years. I switched since to Cutler & Gross.

papercutshurt

Reaction score
I actually just bought myself a wayfarer too. Was torn between the Black and Tortoise like you are - but went for Tortoise in the end. I feel its an interesting twist to the black ones that are being copied by other brands. I'm not sure about the New Wayfarer, but on the RB2140 (Original Wayfarer), the Tortoise still looks kinda Black - you'd have to really look to tell it isn't.

sandman0248

Reaction score
Just got a pair of Wayfarer sunglasses in matte green with prescription lenses. Love 'em!

Re. color choice, I completely agree with Holdfast about skin tone, eye color, hair color, etc. After having just spent far too long searching for regular glasses, those are really important considerations (though you could probably allow yourself more leeway with sunglasses than regular prescription glasses).

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
I actually just bought myself a wayfarer too. Was torn between the Black and Tortoise like you are - but went for Tortoise in the end. I feel its an interesting twist to the black ones that are being copied by other brands. I'm not sure about the New Wayfarer, but on the RB2140 (Original Wayfarer), the Tortoise still looks kinda Black - you'd have to really look to tell it isn't.

I have the RB2132 in tortoise and it's definitely not black or even close to being black: that's what I like best about it, really. Fit is great, and I like the slightly smaller frame size (even in the larger 55 mm size) as compared to the RB2140.

papercutshurt

Reaction score
I have the RB2132 in tortoise and it's definitely not black or even close to being black: that's what I like best about it, really. Fit is great, and I like the slightly smaller frame size (even in the larger 55 mm size) as compared to the RB2140.

Was also thinking about the RB2132 initially because it seemed to fit my face slightly better than the 2140, but the whole reason I decided to get a pair was for that classic look - so it had to be the 2140 in the end. I'd probably go with the black with the 2132 though.

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I ended up getting a pair from Amazon, Black Non-Polaroid ( I hate the rainbow effect, especially on my navigation unit in the car)

$75 dollars....can't beat that price!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jkhan82

Reaction score

Five years ago called, it wants its thread back.

Remarks like this will not help this site grow with new users; I feel its fair game to ask an opinion between two pairs verse asking if I should be this style or not. Especially since members have taken the time to help and give an opinion.

Any other pointless comments you'd like to add Patrick? :satisfied:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Remarks like this will not help this site grow with new users; I feel its fair game to ask an opinion between two pairs verse asking if I should be this style or not. Especially since members have taken the time to help and give an opinion.
Any other pointless comments you'd like to add Patrick? :satisfied:

Yes, you are a Sensitive-Sally who can't take a joke. How's that for a comment?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads