• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first proper suit

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Since I am young, all of my suits have either been purchased by my parents, or have been my dad corneliani and d'avenza suits that no longer fit him, or my grandfather's bespokes. I have purchased blazers, but never a suit.

I have tried on theory and z zegna in 36s, and those are perfect, and fall nicely on me. All is just right, save the price tag.

Is there anything that fits similarly, but is considerably less expensive? Any help?

I'm 5'6" 120lbs

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why don't you do some mid-range MTM. Your size seems tough. Go to Mr. Ned.

lilmann40

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but if you can grab a Theory suit on sale, I'd say go for it. I wouldn't pay retail for a Theory suit, but then again, I wouldn't pay retail for any suit.

Off Saks has them (around my way anyway) for $600, and they pretty much always have a sale going on that is anywhere from 25-40% off.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can get a Ned suit for $800-$1000. Seems like a no-brainer if you are in the City at that price point. You get fittings and the construction is better than Z Zegna and Theory.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Not at that price point; I said z zegna, which is right in that region, was far too expensive. That's the problem. I'm considering indochino; is it crazy to get a tailor to take the measurements and hope for the best?

Ive found slim suits at uniqlo, but those seem crazy.

Any ideas?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are all garbage compared to what you are probably used to wearing as hand me downs. Honestly the best thing to do is save your money and wait and get something that will last and look the best over years to come. You will thank me later, especially if you are looking to really start wearing suits often and start building a wardrobe. I tried going to cheap route years ago and now I hate everything I acquired inexpensively and I look back and see all the money that I wasted and could have had a much more solid wardrobe by now. If you don't really have to get more suits, don't and just save up. I am sure a lot of people here would agree with me.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If you're more concerned with fit and price than quality, you could also look at H&M and ZARA.

However, those will be even more of a step down from what you were used to from your dad and grandfather.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LanceW
The problem I see is you are still young and haven't fully developed out yet. I would be prepared to one day outgrow whatever you purchase.

Done growing, basically.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads