• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first post and business causal

jadough

Reaction score
Hello,
I have lined up the following outfits for my "business casual" orientation to my masters in biomedical sciences program. I have always cared about the way I dressed and looked but do not always have the money for the high end. Most of the time I make it work for me anyways.

Outfit number one
Light grey CK body jacket and pants, Lacoste black and white plaid shirt, and black square toed shoes(...I know....)

Outfit number two
Light grey CK body jacket, Gap pinstriped navy chinos, Banana Republic polo, brown loafer shoes.

Thanks for the help in advance.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only two views? :crazy:

The post probably should have gone in an existing thread, and granted orientation dress isn't important, but.... Both pairs of shoes look bad. That aside, the first combination is better. Turquoise shirts are hard to wear.

jadough

Reaction score
"body" is a CK white label line department store. Yea I know my shoes suck, there is a pair of AE cole that are brown for 210 at my local nordys rack. I[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too have never heard the term "body jacket": Where esle would you wear a jacket?

is this not too formal - jackets seem too strong for business casual to me.

Reaction score
I'm a biomedical PhD student, but I do have friends who are going for an MBS and I have two pieces of advice.

If you're doing the MBS to get into a med school, a more formal look than "business casual", i.e. sport coat and slacks, might be appropriate because you'll be interacting with medical school profs. The MBS is basically an extended interview process and a way of getting your foot in the door. You'll have to gauge it yourself but I see nothing wrong with wearing a jacket for your first orientation.

Also, if you have a lab component, keep these shoes even though SF members will hate on them because you don't want to spill anything on your John Lobbs.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That top shirt is messed up. Why is the collar pattern different from the rest of the shirt? :confused:

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm surprised the SF vets aren't tearing this thread apart yet.

I was thinking the same thing.

Lose that Lacoste shirt in place of a simple solid shirt. I assume you can fit another couple of shirts in your budget. Shoes should be next on your hit list but you probably already know that.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That top shirt is messed up. Why is the collar pattern different from the rest of the shirt? :confused:

Striped body and checked collar is a pretty common choice when bespeaking a shirt. In RTW two sizes of checks does look a little odd......

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) we dont know how the clothing fits
2) grey suit & light solid shirt (you must have at least 1????)
3) both shoes are bad, but at least the black will be a little more discreet
4) noone else there will care about any of the above ^

5) is there a forum default - otherwise why is that most noobs have a tan/brown shoe for an avatar?

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Striped body and checked collar is a pretty common choice when bespeaking a shirt. In RTW two sizes of checks does look a little odd......

Interesting, I did not know that. Could I see some examples of it? :)

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a biomedical PhD student, but I do have friends who are going for an MBS and I have two pieces of advice.

If you're doing the MBS to get into a med school, a more formal look than "business casual", i.e. sport coat and slacks, might be appropriate because you'll be interacting with medical school profs. The MBS is basically an extended interview process and a way of getting your foot in the door. You'll have to gauge it yourself but I see nothing wrong with wearing a jacket for your first orientation.

Also, if you have a lab component, keep these shoes even though SF members will hate on them because you don't want to spill anything on your John Lobbs.
You can get cheap, rubber sole shoes that don't look like a complete abomination, just so you know.

MXERPAC

Reaction score
Hit up a local Tj Maxx for some polo button up shirts. Usually around $35.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads