• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first pair of EGs

rajesh06

Reaction score
I was in NYC last Wednesday and stopped by Saks to pick these up. They are Ashby's on the 606 in Burnt Pine.

A couple comments / questions:
1) The regular price at Saks is now $1050; the first discount was to $786.90 (25%); it was then marked down to $550.83 (additional 30%). Paid $13 to have them shipped to me and avoid the tax and then got 10% off for opening a Saks account - so its going to be $507.45 out the door. A pretty good deal I think (as much as paying over $500 for shoes can be considered a good deal.)

2) The pics are "just out of the box" - that's why no shoe trees (so don't get on me for that).

3) The box that they were sent to me is was a "dark green" (not the current teal) and the handwritten size was 7.5/8 though there was a 9.5-10 sticker over it. It was also for an Ashby 606 in Burnt Pine. I am guessing they just put these in an old box or boxes got switched - but could it be something else? Anyway - the box had an old price sticker of $725 - do you think this means I got some "old shoes". There are no signs of wear on the soles- though its possible they were worn on carpet only and returned. Any idea when the prices were that much lower?

4) I got both bags and a cloth with the shoes - what's the cloth for?

Hope to wear them sometime this week:

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoes - little scratched up for brand new, eh? Damned people trying on shoes with the inability to walk..

That's funny that they used to be 725 and have increased by 325.. highly unlikely the product has improved - more like more marketing.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, $500 for a pair of EGs is a good deal, though to clarify, do they come with EG shoe trees? Ralph Lauren Purple Label EGs do, which is why i ask.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Nice shoes - little scratched up for brand new, eh? Damned people trying on shoes with the inability to walk..

That's funny that they used to be 725 and have increased by 325.. highly unlikely the product has improved - more like more marketing.

Well they were on a sale rack instead of the usual display shelf - so I supect that they were handled quite a bit.

MikeF

Reaction score
I have precisely those shoes and they're among my favourites.

rajesh06

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Yes, $500 for a pair of EGs is a good deal, though to clarify, do they come with EG shoe trees? Ralph Lauren Purple Label EGs do, which is why i ask.

No they do not. Didn't realize that RLPLs did. I never went to the Polo store - but on polo.com - there is no indication that trees are included.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome shoes and a great deal. Wear them in good health.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rajesh06
No they do not. Didn't realize that RLPLs did. I never went to the Polo store - but on polo.com - there is no indication that trees are included.

They come with dark brown oak EG hinge or loaded (depends on how old the shoes are) trees. They're actually really nice; they were included with some Mackays I purchased but had to return for being too tight across the toebox.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Very nice shoes!

Thank God the new N-M here doesn't carry Lobbs!

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Nice shoes, but the price is still about $100 more than the John Lobbs at the last call sale of NM going on now.

Yes, but nobody in the world, JL Paris included, does the handstitching on those shoes like Edward Green does.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Very nice shoes!

Thank God the new N-M here doesn't carry Lobbs!

The Houston NM certainly does, and Houston is 180 short miles from San Antonio.
devil.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik

these shoes dont look all that shop worn, they look actually brand new.

some customers are just too inconsiderate.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Neimans in NJ doesn't carry Lobb.
frown.gif
poop

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
My Neimans in NJ doesn't carry Lobb.
frown.gif
poop

So far the only NM that I know of carry (or carried?) are Dallas Downtown, Houston Galleria, Northbrook IL, SF, South Coast Plaza. Anyone care to update?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads