My first OTR suit, please critique.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by krav, Feb 2, 2010.

1. RSS

RSS Senior member

It's short for "hairy otter."
    Iammatt?

2. apropos

apropos Senior member

OTR? Please explain.
    Off The Rack, i.e. RTW.

However in this case, Obviously This Repulses might work as well.

3. InsBrokerTX

InsBrokerTX Senior member

I think you folks have had your string pulled. How does it feel being played like a fiddle?

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

I think you folks have had your string pulled.
    Not I. Of course, this is not to say it hasn't happened to me on previous occasions.

5. Crosstalker

Crosstalker Senior member

Whole upper body of the suit looks weird from the back. It hangs on you like a paper bag, I'm afraid.

And I'm in agreement with others about your shirt: no matter what you say about the button not being done up, it looks like the collar is a size or two on the big side.

6. oroy38

oroy38 Senior member

The sleevs of the jacket are a bit ruffled but otehr then that it seems to fit fine.

[​IMG]

7. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

This is the best fit that I have seen today on StyleForvm. This pose, moreover, is Manton-evocative: - B
    I notice that the OP placing a tribute to you in the background curried no favors with your sarcasm. [​IMG]

8. krav

krav Member

Thanks for all your replies,sarcastic or not, I'm new to this so I appreciate all the help I can get.

so the general consensus is that the sleeves are too long. How much should the sleeves be taken in roughly? What specific areas of the jacket need fixing to avoid it looking too boxy as one poster pointed out? Also, how easily fixed are my shirt's collar and cuffs? Is it salvageable or should I look for a new shirt?

I'm 18 turning 19 in a few months, should the tailor leave some headroom in the adjustments so I can "grow into" the jacket so to speak? Sorry for all the questions but we all gotta start somewhere.

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

Well I can tell you that most orthopaedic surgeons will tell you that people stop growing in height when they hit 16/17 years, and once in a while 18 years, so if you are making allowances, they should be horizontal ones, not vertical ones.

10. krav

krav Member

Well I can tell you that most orthopaedic surgeons will tell you that people stop growing in height when they hit 16/17 years, and once in a while 18 years, so if you are making allowances, they should be horizontal ones, not vertical ones.

I've given up on my height now, I'm more concerned with my muscular development. How much room should be made to accommodate that?

11. heli0x

heli0x Senior member

I've given up on my height now, I'm more concerned with my muscular development. How much room should be made to accommodate that?

I wouldnt be too worried over leaving room for bulking up, because its already fairly loose fitting, especially in the chest.

And am I the only one that thinks suit sleeve length is fine? With the right shirt size, the bunching will go away and give about half an inch, which should be put the sleeve right at the base of the thumb.

Can you take pics wearing the suit over a t shirt or something?

12. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

[​IMG]

Domo arigato

13. furo

furo Senior member

It looks like someone did a pretty bad hackjob when they opened up the center seam in the back.

At the very least, take this to a competent tailor who can fix that along with the other problems. You might pay more, but since this probably can't be returned to the store, I'd try to get your money's worth.

14. krav

krav Member

It looks like someone did a pretty bad hackjob when they opened up the center seam in the back.

At the very least, take this to a competent tailor who can fix that along with the other problems. You might pay more, but since this probably can't be returned to the store, I'd try to get your money's worth.

can you please tell me what exactly need to be fixed? I realize it's a pretty poor fitting suit but people have been criticizing it to death without giving me any idea as to how to fix it and that's frustrating me.

15. AlmostSmart

AlmostSmart Senior member