• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first MTM suit (+ shirts), opinions please!

ZenStyle

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first MTM suit along with a MTM couple shirts. I'm fairly tall and slim/fit so OTR is a bit of a challenge (especially dress shirts).

I'll post the suit in this post, then the shirts in the next post.

I know they are not perfect, but hopefully tweakable with a touch of tailoring (- pant length , + chest, etc)

Keep in mind this was all done on a modest budget and just wanted something that fit better than OTR. Also, it is a bit of a 'slim-fit' style.

Any thoughts, opinions, critiques would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Edit to add: please ignore the shoes, they are horrible and don't go well with the suit at all.

ZenStyle

Reaction score
Here are the shirts. They are very fitted. I really like them but the chest may be a touch too tight (0.5 to 1.0 inch needed?), the armhole (is this determined by the bicep measurement?) is a bit tight (maybe add 0.25 to bicep?), and maybe add 0.25 inch to sleeves.

You can see the pulling in the chest into the armpits? Will those tweaks correct that?

I'm worried that once they've been laundered a few times the sleeves will end up too short and the chest too tight.

Thoughts? Thanks so much!

GucciKid

Reaction score
Pants on the suit need to be hemmed.

The quarters on the suit seem to close a bit awkwardly, but overall I think the fit is pretty good for made to measure.

I might make the jacket a bit longer on your next commission.

GucciKid

Reaction score
I quite like the fit of the shirts as well.

May I ask who made these for you?

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZenStyle
t?

I'm worried that once they've been laundered a few times the sleeves will end up too short and the chest too tight.

plain.gif
prepare for it

TourbillonTurk.

Reaction score

ZenStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TourbillonTurk.
plain.gif
prepare for it

So for the shirts, how much should I add to account for this? I'm thinking to add 1.0" at the chest, 0.25" to the sleeves, along with maybe 0.25-0.5" added to the bicep (which will increase the armhole size right?.

I'm thinking these changes will correct the armpit, lat/chest pulling and help avoid shrink-fit issues.

Also, the collar is 'just' right at 16.5" but any tighter will be uncomfortable so should add 0.25" to the collar measurement to account for slight shrinkage going forward?

Thanks.

ZenStyle

Reaction score
The suits seem ok, if you ask me. However the shoes are hideous if you want my honest opinion.

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1294015274

Are the arms lengths equal? or is it just the sleeves of the shirts that make it look that way ?

Oh, yes yes I know the shoes are horrible. Just grabbed what was near. I need to some new shoes asap.

As for the sleeves I think one side of the suit sleeve may be a 1/8-1/4 inch longer than the other, but I'm not sure yet because other pics don't seem as apparent.

Thanks for the input.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suits seem ok, if you ask me. However the shoes are hideous if you want my honest opinion.

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...1&d=1294015274

Are the arms lengths equal? or is it just the sleeves of the shirts that make it look that way ?

Agreed.

The shoes don't do the suit justice. In fact, they are heinous.

Suit looks fine for the most part.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I think the fit on the shoulders of the suit is pretty good in the first 3 pictures. The right shoulder on the 4th picture of the 1st suit's back shot looks like there's a dimple. Shoulders don't look as clean on the second set of suit pics. Jacket is a tad short for my liking, but I guess that's the style some people prefer. There's something off about the trousers. Maybe they just need to be hemmed for a cleaner look, but they don't seem fitted enough to match the suit jacket. Shirts fit you nicely for an office environment but both the suit and shirt sleeves seem a little short. Overall, nicer MTM than many on here.

joneog

Reaction score
Some good, some bad. Maybe it's the way you're standing but there appears to be some assymetry in jacket and sleeve length. You're also getting a little pull across the upper back. Pants are a bit too long. Collar, shoulders, and waist look pretty good. With youre build I think a slightly longer jacket may be better, but that's personal preference. Overall I think the suit fit is better than 95% of the people I see out there.

Costanza

Reaction score
Isn't that top jacket button straining a bit? (top row)

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Pants have way too much break and the jacket's quarters are too closed. I'm not sure if there is an issue with the sleeve length or not.
Overall, quite nice. Who is the tailor?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hemming should help pants, although they're also doing weird things in back. Rise is too low.

Let out the jacket waist a touch to fix the pulling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads