1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My first Modern Tailor Shirt - Updated

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by upnorth, Jun 30, 2010.

1. brittain

brittain Senior member

Im also pretty surprised they wont just offer to send you two new shirts. Every time Jantzen made a mistake they just told me to keep the shirt and sent a new one.

2. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

in defense of modern tailor
    if this is 2/200 fabric there is a lot of money in fabric in this shirt.

it is not that difficult to remove the cuffs and sleeves. cut new sleeves and reattach..
    if they did this in the first place, you would have never noticed

3. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Carl, while that was what I initially thought, I found upon closer inspections that there were also random pin like holes all over the body of the shirt.

I doubt that just reattaching the sleeves would work. It's like someone was conveniently using it as a pin cushion.[​IMG]

The irony is that they did email me and said there will be delays in delivery because the fabric I chose was more expensive and they wanted to take more time to make sure everything would be tip top. This is a real let down no matter what fabric.

4. Frodo

Frodo Senior member

I'd send the shirt back to them and let them know that if it's not replaced with a correct shirt, then they've lost this order (due to a refund) plus all future orders, plus a few from the guys watching this thread. I'm a little so-so on them now after an excellent initial few orders and what seemed like amazing customer service. The other side of the coin is that this could be a simple glitch and they may jump at the chance to make it right. You said they'd seen the photos posted here, right? Pretty damning evidence.

5. madadi

madadi New Member

that looks horable. what material is the shirt?

6. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Senior member

I would just send them back the shirts and give them the benefit of the doubt. If the end result still does not meet your expectation, demand a refund or just charge back.

7. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I have decided against sending the shirts back because the likelihood of "patching" and "jointing" is very high. As I mentioned, the damage while predominantly near the seams, is not exclusively there. The holes also exist in the waist and back and could be easily missed and not replaced. I could be getting back the same shirts with only part of the shirts corrected for damage.

Sending the item requires time which I do not have (the postal office is far and opens during the same hours as my working time). The postage and materials cost more than that which they promised to reimburse me.

Also, waiting for them to receive the item and acknowledge the errors while they debate internally with their production team will only delay the resolution process, time which I do not have if I wanted to do a chargeback.

Finally, the error was not made by me in the first place. Why should I be inconvenienced into repackaging the item, standing in line and filling up custom forms and letters to correct a problem that shouldn't have occurred in the first place.

I have now written to them, what I view as a fair resolution. It is up to them to accept so we can both move on.

8. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Just an update that I've managed to work out a solution with them.

On the positive side, each time I wrote in (using their site's contact us form), I've always received replies within 12 hours. This is a huge plus. They have also been willing to work with me to find a flexible alternative.

As they have verified with their factory, the shirts have indeed been altered, thus leaving the marks. So they no longer require me to resend the items back. They've told me that the practice to send items back is to show the mistakes to the production team so that it will not be repeated. As a young company, I'm sure this is part of the learning curve.

I cannot say for certain how the quality will be until I receive my replacement from them. I'm sure though, a lesson will be learnt, and hopefully that benefits anyone else who might be placing orders with them in future.

As it stands, customer service is good. I wish they had just gotten things done right the first time round. I will decide if I still want to continue my dealings with them after the 2nd batch, a major advantage over Jantzen is their customer service, timing of delivery and a very easy to use website.

9. thenextguy

thenextguy Active Member

Kudos to MT for taking care of it.

Every company makes mistakes, what truly matters is what they do next.

10. moderntailoremma

moderntailoremma Senior member

Dear Upnorth, please email me at moderntailor1@gmail.com and we will resolve the issue asap. We would like to know the order #. Regards, Emma

11. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

Emma, your colleague Dave and Caitlin are already aware of this and working on it now. I believe we have already reached some form of agreement.

Nonetheless, I've also sent you a copy of my exchange with them to the given email above, just to keep you in the loop.

12. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

...a major advantage over Jantzen is their customer service, timing of delivery and a very easy to use website.

Understatment of the year.

13. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

I wanted to tie up the loose ends and give MT credit for making amends so I am posting updates here. I received my new replacement (basically using different fabrics) and I am very pleased with the outcome. The stitching this time is neat, no loose thread or pinholes, thankfully. Shipping was quick. [​IMG] The ice blue oxford cloth is probably my favorite of the bunch. It looks like they have improved their quality checks. I would certainly order again.

14. Yika

Yika Senior member

always good to see things turning out this way.

15. Contango

Contango Senior member

Glad to hear it.

What fabric number is the ice blue Oxford?

16. kraftar

kraftar Senior member

Glad to hear it worked out. I'm in a similar situation (mistake on an order) but I sent the shirts back... hopefully they send my new shirts soon.

17. upnorth

upnorth Senior member

What fabric number is the ice blue Oxford?

I believe that would be R15. It is really a royal oxford, I have been searching for the lightest blue like this for a long time, you might not share my enthusiasm, especially since it wrinkles rather easily.

18. charliechappers

charliechappers Member

Kraftar - what was the result of your situation? Did they fix it?

19. mdtalleyrand

mdtalleyrand Member

Definitely ask for your "monet" back.

20. Stylego

Stylego Senior member

I ordered one of their $19 shirts, got a little crazy with upgrades and ended up at about $ 50...bit of a mistake. I patterned off a slim fit shirt that needed just a bit more room in the neck and through the body, adding an inch in the chest, waist, and just a bit at the neck. I'm not sure how I messed up the measurements but the shirt I got is much smaller than the original, can't get it around my middle aged belly and it is too small to button at the neck. Bit disappointed...if I do this again, I'll keep it cheap.