• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first made to measure shirt. Photos. Need advice.

Sushi

Reaction score
Hi, I finally got my very first custom tailored shirt from Propercloth.com. I really love the material, but the shirt looks awkward on me. The collar is a bit too tight, yoke looks wavy, and it might be a bit too small in the shoulders when I button up the collar. On pictures, it looks like it's a bit loose in the mid-section, but in reality it hugs my stomach pretty close. I can take the shirt off without unbuttoning the cuffs. Is this normal? Since I have no idea what I'm doing, I need advice on what measurements adjustments I should send to Propercloth in order to get a better fitting version 2 of this shirt. Thanks :)

Shirt Details:
Shirt Number: AC10706a, Fabric: Lavender Broadcloth PCF159, Collar: English Spread, Cuff: One Button Barrel, Pocket: No Pocket, Front Placket: Yes, Rear Pleats: No, Yoke: Split, Collar Accent: None, Cuff Accent: None, Monogram: None, Buttons: Standard, Size: Size based on Body Measurements (Modified), Dimensions: Collar Circumference: 14.75, Sleeve Length: 35.00, Chest Width: 21.00, Midsection Width: 19.50, Shoulder Width: 18.50 Shirt Length: 31.00, Sleeve Width: 8.50, Cuff Circumference: 9.00, Bottom Width: 20.00, Watch Allowance: None, Shoulder Slope: Normal, Forearm: Slim (One Pleat at Cuff)

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't order a 'version 2' - save your money, wait until mytailor.com visits your city, and get measured and fitted in person by a professional. That shirt is a mess.

Sushi

Reaction score
Version 2 is free. You just send it back and point out what needs to be changed.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised it feels tight - the shoulders (point to point) are too large and the it looks like you're swimming in the rest of it.

You shouldn't be able to take the cuffs off without unbuttoning, at least not when they're that long.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
As a general comment, the shirt is quite big and needs to be tapered more elegantly. Importantly, many of the horizontal creases around the chest / collarbone would best be tackled by adjusting the shoulders and armholes. I am not qualified to detail those particular changes (and save people like Despos, others on here aren't either). Your best bet may be to simply email them these pics.

rick07

Reaction score
I just feel like there's too much fabric that's why it gathers along the waist making too many creases.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can you hold your arms out? I think someof the issue is the arm holes too large.

Also have you washed the shirt? There will be a bit of shrinkage especially in the sleeve length, cuff and collar. Seeing that the collar is already tight then this may be an issue

duggyald

Reaction score
The shirt is too loose in my opinion, it needs to be taken in along thesides.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way too loose. You'd need a) higher armholes, b) smaller armholes, c) much less fabric around the waist, d) less fabric around the chest, e) sleeves seem a touch long.

Color is growing on me. The quality seems poor, though. I imagine it wasn't an expensive shirt, right? I'd just go to BB if I were you, go ESF and then you're set and don't have to bother with MTM.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How was Sushi available as a Forum nick? That's like the coolest ever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads