• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Janzten - please critique

blaidan

Reaction score
Ok, so after 6 months of waitng I did finally receive my shirt. I have posted some pics and would like feedback. I believe I need to lengthen the sleeves and possibly take in the chest. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Usually my OTR shirts blouse out in the back but I no longer have that problem with this shirt.

Thanks.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
mostly.
Yoke too big, sleeves are too short.
Problems of self measuring.

Carl

Carl, how much can one expect the yoke to shrink with washing?

Anyway, it's pretty close. How's the collar fit?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to lengthen the sleeves, you should make sure that the cuffs fit well enough to keep the extra fullness you'll be adding from sliding down your hand.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two question:

-what is "yoke too big"
-what is proper length for sleeve? I've read that with cuff button undone the sleeve edge should hit the webspace between thumb and index finger, is that right?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
a yoke will shrink over time about 1/4-1/2".

There are more problems with the fit of this shirt.

Blaiden has sloping shoulders with a right low.
the yoke is a good 2" too large.

The sleeves are 1 1/2" too short that is after allowing for an additional 1/2-3/4" of sleeve shrinkage. The collar is not buttoned making that difficult to assess. The cuffs are also very stiff.

When posting photos, you should wash and shrink the shirt before looking for critiques. Wash the shirt at least once in your usual fashion. Then take the photos.

Carl

blaidan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I do appreciate it.
I did wash the shirt before posting these pics, but probably did not do the best job or ironing it.
I was a little surprised that the sleeves came out short because I always take a 34.5' and this is what I had told Ricky. Are you suggesting that I increase the sleeve length to 36'?
Also, would the size of the yoke be dictated by the shoulder measurement that I give to Ricky, if so that seems like an easy fix, or would this be a special request.

Does Ricky take back shirts if they need adjustment or do I just chalk this one up to finding the exact fit?

Thanks again for all your help. This forum has helped out my style and wallet!!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blaidan
Does Ricky take back shirts if they need adjustment or do I just chalk this one up to finding the exact fit?

Chalk it up to finding the right fit, assuming Ricky made what you ordered. Ricky will fix his mistakes, but there's always some tweaking needed on the first order.

Rolo

Reaction score
Can someone post some pics of what they feel is a really good fit? Something we can use as a benchmark.

More selfishly, I've got a couple of MTM shirts where I'm not happy with the fit and I'd like to take the pics back to the store and say, "No, it needs to be like this."

Nonk

Reaction score
There appears to be a pocket on it for some reason.

Send it back!

devil.gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
There appears to be a pocket on it for some reason. Send it back!
devil.gif

Ah, but they're classic! Not as classic as the waistcoat, but those disappeared almost completely during and after the '40s, which is what the shirt pocket was made to compensate for. James Dean sure made it work.
RebelTransition.jpg

blaidan

Reaction score
It never bothered me to have a pocket on my shirt. Actually I find it useful as a place to hold my pen through out the day and it does come in handy. Are you for real with this comment???

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blaidan
It never bothered me to have a pocket on my shirt. Actually I find it useful as a place to hold my pen through out the day and it does come in handy. Are you for real with this comment???

I don't like them, the pockets, either. For the dress shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads