1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My first Antiquing Project: Transform a pair of peanut butter brown oxfords

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by heard546, Feb 8, 2009.

1. heard546

heard546 Senior member

After readings Steven’s and Ron’s threads on their antiquing project I decided to take on my on adventure. The shoes are a pair of hand made Bettaccini in peanut butter brown I recently had up for sale, but decided to experiment on them after being motivated by the other forum members. Below are pictures of the first original shoes without an work done on them other than a shine.

Before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After deglazing using Angelus Leather Cleaner & Deglazer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First Application of Angelus Medium Brown B Leather Finisher (Total 2 Applications)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Applied 2 Applications of Lexol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Applied Kiwi Tan Shoe Polish (Total 2 Applications) and Kiwi Cordovan Shoe Polish (Total 1 Applications) for a dark tone of brown[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I didn't use shoe cream because I couldn't find any store that carried this product near my home.

I welcome your feedback, and opinions. Take into consideration that this is my first attempt, and will probably attempt
    this task again on a pair of tyran rose loafers I have in storage.

I will provide lessons learned and additional insights later. A storm is coming, and I have venture out to get dinner for the family.

-tony

2. oneade

oneade Well-Known Member

what is deglazing? how did you get the color off?

3. sartort

sartort Senior member

you answered your first question with your second.

To the OP, thanks for documenting this. It's nice to see what the deglazing process actually looks like. I am considering doing my own project and this will certainly help take the fear of the unknown factor away.

I look forward to seeing photos of the next steps. Good luck!

4. Nicholas

Nicholas Senior member

what is deglazing? how did you get the color off?

Acetone most likely.

5. Chips

Chips Senior member

I'm eagerly waiting to see the end of this job.

6. meister

meister Senior member

Wonderful so far.

Amazingly they look like if you gave them some leather conditioner in their present state you would have a very nice pair of (sort of) Paul Smith Dip Dyed Starrs

7. kryn13

kryn13 Senior member

Very interesting in seeing how these turn out.

8. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

9. flipster

flipster Senior member

^ +1

those shoes don't look like you're using shoe-trees. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Very interesting project though, looking forward to the pics of the next stage.

10. heard546

heard546 Senior member

I have shoes, but not using at this time. I've only the shoes 2 months, and tried to decide to keep or sale. Decided to keep, and will be using shoe treesgoing forward.

^ +1

those shoes don't look like you're using shoe-trees. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Very interesting project though, looking forward to the pics of the next stage.

11. Francisco D'Anconia

Francisco D'Anconia Senior member

I've done a couple of jobs like this after reading Ron's thread too. My shoes looked similar to the OP's after deglazing.

you answered your first question with your second.

To the OP, thanks for documenting this. It's nice to see what the deglazing process actually looks like. I am considering doing my own project and this will certainly help take the fear of the unknown factor away.

I look forward to seeing photos of the next steps. Good luck!

IMHO, make your first attempt on a pair of shoes you don't mind ruining. If you don't have a pair youcan ruin without regret, go buy a pair at a thrift store. Make sure they're not black. It's too hard to do this on black shoes. The lighter the original color in brown the easier the time I've found.

You should be able to by Deglazer from most shoe repair shops. If they don't have it in stock, they can order it for you. You can also order it over the Internet.

12. Steven Aver

Steven Aver Senior member

After readings Steven's and Ron's threads on their antiquing project I decided to take on my on adventure. The shoes are a pair of hand made Bettaccini in peanut butter brown I recently had up for sale, but decided to experiment on them after being motivated by the other forum members. Below are pictures of the first original shoes without an work done on them other than a shine.

Next step is to apply brown color leather dye. I will provide the dye brand name with my next posting.

-tony

Looking good. Make sure you insert your trees after you dye them. I would stuff newspaper into the shoes before you start the dying process, and then insert your trees when you start applying cream and wax so that you can work without all the creases being in place. Good luck.

13. ccffm1

ccffm1 Senior member

I've done a couple of jobs like this after reading Ron's thread too. My shoes looked similar to the OP's after deglazing.

Have you used aceton for deglazing? And if so, in which concentration?

14. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Make sure they're not black. It's too hard to do this on black shoes.

Please explain (pics necessary).

15. sartort

sartort Senior member

+1. I started a thread this week in which a poster linked to an older thread in which he describes taking a pair of black lobbs and turning them brown. I am tempted to do the same. It makes sense that a lighter colored shoe (tan) would be closer to the original unfinished leather than a black one would. In that sense it might give you more options in what color you would the shoes to become. But if you are going for a grey-brown or pewter color, it seems black would be as suitable as a tan pair would (speaking of course from no experience). I hate to derail the thread, but am curious in the meantime until the dye shots are posted. Looking forward to seeing those.

16. Francisco D'Anconia

Francisco D'Anconia Senior member

Have you used aceton for deglazing? And if so, in which concentration?

I used a liquid called "Cleaner and Deglazer" from Feibing's or Anglus that I bought from a shoe repair shop. I suspect it's at least part acetone. But in what proportion I don't know.

Please explain (pics necessary).

Once a shoe is black it's really difficult to change the color lighter. I guess it could be done. But it will take a lot more elbow grease and a lot more time. So if you're starting at the bottom of the learing curve, make it easy on yourself and start with a lighter shoe.

The post above about stuffing the shoes with newspaper before you start is also good advice. I did that and I'm glad I did. It helps mainatin their shape, especially when deglazing and dyeing - both of which I suspect affect the moisture content of the leather and can damage it. It also minimizes dye splatter inside teh shoes once you start dyeing them after deglazing.

17. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Again, you said it will be difficult. I need to know why-with pics.

Thanks

18. heard546

heard546 Senior member

I welcome your feedback, and opinions. Take into consideration that this is my first attempt, and will probably attempt
    this task again on a pair of tyran rose loafers I have in storage.

I will provide lessons learned and additional insights later. A storm is coming, and I have venture out to get dinner for the family.

19. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I like what you did with the color, but the dents in the toe boxes are really getting on my nerves. Irrelevant, I know.

I'm curious to see what they look like with a high shine after all that.

20. heard546

heard546 Senior member

I am using my shoe trees over the next few days to get rid of the dents. I plan to polish with a clear coat of polish atleast 2 more times to get a decent sheen.

Tips
    Plan to spend about 2 hrs deglazing with a true deglazer. There are several on the market, but use one that I used, or one of the other forum members used since there are pictures to go by. You will spend a great deal of time rubbing in the deglazer in small sections because it drys really fast, and your work will double if not done correctly. Also, plan on using 8 oz of deglazer, especially if you are using the tool that comes with the product, or a towl, or some other product. I would recommend a terry cloth.

After deglazing, I allowed the shoes to breath over night so that the leather can repair itself it this makes sense. I used a leather dye of medium brown A, kiwi tan polish, and kiwi cordovan to give the shoes some aged appearance.

When apply Lexol, the softer the leather will be and the easier it will be to apply polish or paste.

My final tip is to make sure your have plenty of uninterupted time to focus on your task. My son interupted me several times during the dying and polishing steps. I thought for sure I had messed up the antique process and would have to start over.

I will try to answer questions throughout the week. But again, the hardest, and most critical step is the deglazing. And be prepared for a sore wrist and fingers from the rubbing. But in the end you will have a pair of shoes you can be proud of because of the effort put forth.

Please excuse my grammar, and spelling. I am tired from the long weekend, and family upkeep.

-tony

I like what you did with the color, but the dents in the toe boxes are really getting on my nerves. Irrelevant, I know.

I'm curious to see what they look like with a high shine after all that.