• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Allen Edmonds!

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still going to buy the Fifth Avenue's but today I was given the Evanston's in walnut.

They're a tad large but I didn't lace them up so we'll see.

What color trousers/suits should I wear with these? I've noticed many of you are into socks, whereas I am not. Is there a certain type of sock or color I should wear with these too?

Lastly, is the proper lacing of a shoe that important? I've read some comments in which a person will jump on another for improperly lacing a shoe a certain way.

Cheers

46597278.jpg

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats, nice first choice. Those are classy.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shoe! I have the AE Clifton in that same exact Walnut color. Almost the same shoe, except mine are Bluchers. My first foray into real quality dress shoes... they've since been worn into the ground
laugh.gif
Enjoy

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
I'm still going to buy the Fifth Avenue's but today I was given the Evanston's in walnut.

What color trousers/suits should I wear with these? I've noticed many of you are into socks, whereas I am not. Is there a certain type of sock or color I should wear with these too?

Lastly, is the proper lacing of a shoe that important? I've read some comments in which a person will jump on another for improperly lacing a shoe a certain way.

Cheers

46597278.jpg

Nice! I have the Bel Air and MacNeil in walnut and think they look great with khakis and mid to light greys. I also wear the Bel Airs with my navy blue suit. Some on here think this creates too much contrast and is a "loud" look. Unless you're in a highly conservative work environment, I'd think they'd look good with any colors other than a really dark charcoal or black. Match your socks to your trousers not your shoes. Congrats!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja

46597278.jpg

im not sure what the logic is behind this is , but why dont you lace them up and try them for size prior to purchasing something? why is it so many people here will buy something and then question size or style after the fact?

that shoe and sock combo is too affected for me. doesnt look natural. it'll make the people at the office look and think "aww, he's trying to get into clothes. aww"

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
... Match your socks to your trousers not your shoes. Congrats!

Match your socks to something, it doesn't have to be your trousers. Sometimes I match it to my shirt or tie or even an accessory. Have fun with it, but if you don't have a good eye for color, ask someone who does (a significant other, perhaps).

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
im not sure what the logic is behind this is , but why dont you lace them up and try them for size prior to purchasing something? why is it so many people here will buy something and then question size or style after the fact?

that shoe and sock combo is too affected for me. doesnt look natural. it'll make the people at the office look and think "aww, he's trying to get into clothes. aww"

I agree, why buy shoes that don't fit.

Those socks are a little too "clown" for me although some may like them.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its not even a picture of him, its a pic he found online according to another post
teacha.gif

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:ROFLMAO:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful shoes k4lnamja, congratulations. Wear them in good health. I like the socks too.

Kurt N

Reaction score
A reasonable question, I suppose. But not relevant to this thread, since the OP "was given" the shoes. Why is it so many people here comment without reading carefully?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very nice wear in good health

NoYes

Reaction score
Congrats. The 1 last is one of my AE favs!

MTLGuy

Reaction score

He said he was given the shoes. I assume that means he didn't purchase them. But very constructive comment...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads