1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My first AEs

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StevenRocks, Mar 24, 2006.

1. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I broke down and got a pair of Allen Edmonds today. I didn't need anything very dressy right now, but I wanted a quality shoe for casual situations and this shoe presented itself. I went to a trunk show at a local men's store and saw it in person, then I went to the Allen Edmonds Company Store in Burlington, NC and got it for a lot less. I had to order it, but it'll be in by the middle of next week.

Thoughts? Opinions?

2. Duveen

Duveen Senior Member

Nice, but VERY casual - almost Doc Marten-ish with the toe.

I like the pebble leather, though.

What is the model called?

3. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

While a bit too casual for my taste, I find the AE shoes to be among the most comfortable I own. Enjoy.

4. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Not bad! That's a serious sole.

One thing I do like about these is that they are nicely balanced. Most AE shoes I've seen are way too forward: the toe looks tiny because the lacing area (don't know the correct term) is pushed up.

5. Duveen

Duveen Senior Member

One thing I do like about these is that they are nicely balanced.

That's a good way of putting it, chorse. I think that this drives their appeal for me as well.

They work for me because the elements, while all large and a bit chunky, are internally consistent. These shoes are a clear, clean example of a particular, very country, look.

What I don't like about a lot of the AEs that I see is the funny admixture of 'stylish' details with blobby/inelegant lasts. It's as if the designer thinks that the surface decoration is all that matters, and underlying shapes don't need to be changed for sleeker shoes.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I like them as knockabout shoes very well. I would probably like them better without the captoe, but I have a pair of rubber soled captoe bluchers I wear similarly so I can't say much.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

What I don't like about a lot of the AEs that I see is the funny admixture of 'stylish' details with blobby/inelegant lasts. It's as if the designer thinks that the surface decoration is all that matters, and underlying shapes don't need to be changed for sleeker shoes.

It seems like so many AE shoes are designed for really fat feet. Is it possible that they're changing last shapes to accomadate, uhum, the American figure? A lot of the old AE's I see on Ebay seem sleeker.

8. StevenRocks

Nice, but VERY casual - almost Doc Marten-ish with the toe.

I like the pebble leather, though.

What is the model called?

It's called the Becker. I saw it in this year's catalog and fell in love with it.

Sidebar: If you ever have a chance to go to an Allen-Edmonds Company Store, sign up for the email. They'll give you free shoe polish and stamp your card for a buy-twelve pairs-get-one pair-free program, as well as tell you about the annual tent sales they have (Burlington's is late in April) where things get pretty cheap.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Sidebar: If you ever have a chance to go to an Allen-Edmonds Company Store, sign up for the email. They'll give you free shoe polish and stamp your card for a buy-twelve pairs-get-one pair-free program, as well as tell you about the annual tent sales they have (Burlington's is late in April) where things get pretty cheap.

I hope JLibourel got in on the buy 12, get one free.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Distinguished Member

I hope JLibourel got in on the buy 12, get one free.

Actually, I've gotten two free pairs in this fashion, the most recent being in December, although it may be some time before I work my way up to a third. I have bought a couple of pairs of A-Es for my stepson, which helps matters along. I don't know about this "free polish" business, however. I've never gotten any free polish from the Cabazon outlet!

11. StevenRocks

don't know about this "free polish" business, however. I've never gotten any free polish from the Cabazon outlet!
    She gave it to me for filling out the email card. It's the standard polish, so you either get black or dark brown. I got the dark brown to touch up a pair of work shoes I have.

If you didn't get any, I'd definately go back and suggest they give you some. As much business as you've given Allen-Edmonds, a $4.00 bottle of polish shouldn't be an issue for them.