My favorite tie brand

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RJman, May 1, 2008.

1. Zandros

Zandros Senior member

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8153/imgp0830ch2.jpg

The yellow paisley print is of a brightness and beauty of color I haven't seen the likes of elsewhere:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/3028/imgp0831ql1.jpg http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9448/imgp0832bd5.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9...042424a352.jpg
    Blue paisley weave:

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8517/imgp0833ix4.jpg http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6433/imgp0834ha9.jpg

The yellow and the blue are absolutely gorgeous. In lieu of selling my soul to own them, I will have to honour them with sacrificing my first post.

Edit: Apparently spoiler tags don't work...

/Adrian

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I got them from Yoox four years ago. There are a bunch of H&Bs on yoox right now, BTW...

3. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Affiliate Vendor

Darn nice ties and an amazing writeup. Thanks again! Anyone in the NY area can look for H+B ties at C21 where they retail for $40. They are simply astounding ties for the money and a select few of them are even marked Made in England.

4. RJman

FYI, not saying the Made in Italy ties are of inferior quality or anything, and I have the suspicion that from 2003-04 onwards even the ties marked made in England may have been only nominally made in England, given how the word on the street was that H&B was no longer around. It's just that, on some level, once it became made in Italy, even though of the same or perhaps better quality, the maker's name became just a brand name, the same way that walking into the Drumohr store in Milan, it seemed that now that everything's made in Italy (except the Shetlands), there wasn't much point in buying Drumohr as opposed to some other name, since whatever made Drumohr so individual as a maker wouldn't logically exist anymore now that it was simply a brand owned by Marinella (yes!) being used to sell high-quality knitwear.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

RJ, I bought an H&B tie from a store in Georgetown back in 2005. As far as I know, it was new inventory, and still made in England (so says the label, at least). It's a really nicely made tie, but I never wear it on account of the pattern (bright pink and green plaid).

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

A recently acquired vintage H&B for A&S. The hand is very dry, almost like a fine linen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

That medallion tie in light blue is incredible. [​IMG]

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I don't know what to say.

Some are wonderful, especially the unlined seven folds, and most particularly, the Udeshi.

Many are mediocre or bland...the latter not in useful way.

Many are...aesthetically challenging. I am having a hard time deciding if it is because they are for advanced users or because they are hideous. Probably a little bit of both.

Is the same Italian manufactury making the Church's-branded ties for Prada making the H&B branded ties? Some of the Church's aren't bad for three folds.

- B

9. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

RJ, I bought an H&B tie from a store in Georgetown...

Which store? (I feel this is going to end with me spending money)

10. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Many are...aesthetically challenging. I am having a hard time deciding if it is because they are for advanced users or because they are hideous. Probably a little bit of both.

- B

I was thinking the same thing. In all honesty, I can't imagine wearing the majority of the ties shown.

11. EL72

EL72 Senior member

RJ, I bought an H&B tie from a store in Georgetown back in 2005. As far as I know, it was new inventory, and still made in England (so says the label, at least). It's a really nicely made tie, but I never wear it on account of the pattern (bright pink and green plaid).

Yes, I have about 4 Made in England H&B (all purchased in the last year from C21) and there is no way they are pre-2003/04 stock. A couple have unlined tips (I bought the same patterned tie in navy, burgundy and almost bought the brown one too) and the others are tipped (not self though). The only thing they all have in common is they are all made with English 50 oz silk. I'll try to take some pics.

12. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Pics of made in England H&B ties in 50 oz silk (here with unlined tips; I now regret not buying the brown as these are probably my favorite ties):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The brown is a five-fold tie and the navy is standard construction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These two are made by H&B for Hardy Amies. They are great but the silks are not as nice and beefy as the 50oz twill.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LeonM

LeonM Senior member

So the initials HB on the tag mean it's UK made or an Italian era tie?

Leon

14. RJman

Everard's. Back in '05 they were still marked made in England. The made in Italy labelling began around 2006.
    I don't know what to say.

Some are wonderful, especially the unlined seven folds, and most particularly, the Udeshi.

Many are mediocre or bland...the latter not in useful way.

Is the same Italian manufactury making the Church's-branded ties for Prada making the H&B branded ties? Some of the Church's aren't bad for three folds.

- B

Well, my goal was not to say that H&B are the greatest tie brand or that they only make beautiful ties. Some designs really are stomach-churning (buyer's remorse), while others are as soporific as the Marinella selection at the Georges V. I don't think the Church's branded ties are made by the same maker. There do seem to be a lot of them at Filene's Basement, though.

Which store? (I feel this is going to end with me spending money)
    Everard's, as above.

So the initials HB on the tag mean it's UK made or an Italian era tie?

Leon

Neither, just that it's made by Holliday & Brown (at least nominally), the same way that the "MD" initials on a tie indicate it's made by Drake's.

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Well, my goal was not to say that H&B are the greatest tie brand or that they only make beautiful ties. Some designs really are stomach-churning (buyer's remorse), while others are as soporific as the Marinella selection at the Georges V.

The examples are quite interesting, RJ...thank you.

- B