• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

empyre.01d2

Reaction score
My favorite pair of shoes, ones that I purchased blindly online through a private seller, are about 1/2 size too large.

Is there anything I can do to help minimize this? To be more specific, they are a bit too long. My foot has a bit of wiggle room, which I find very annoying. I can live with the fact that they aren't "perfectly" my size (mainly due to the fact that I can afford to replace them currently), but would like them to feel good at the very least.

I learned the hard way that I had been wearing / buying shoes too large lately (my first venture into the dress world per se). It's been an expensive lesson--expensive for someone just graduating that is.

All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

waterpig

Reaction score
You can buy heel pads that stick or glue to the inside heel. Dr. Scholls makes these and can be found at Walgreens/Eckerds/RiteAid.

empyre.01d2

Reaction score
Uhn, I never knew, granted I've never looked for them either.

Is this the general consensus then? Heel pads?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never found heel pads to be effective for me. Tongue pads are a better alternative IMO.

empyre.01d2

Reaction score
Tongue pads? Can you explain how they function? Will they help me solve the length issue? From a width, and height (that's what will call it), they fill fine. I just don't like the front and back movement.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tongue pad will tighten up the instep and push your foot back into the heel and make the heel fit better. It will give an overall snugger fit and will prevent your foot to slide back and forth.

Tongue pads function by adding pressure to your foot when the shoe is laced and that's IMO more effective than heel pads which rely on additional friction rather than pressure

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
tongue pads are items you stick under the tongue of the shoe , which when your feet are inside , pushes your foot back further.

my advice is if it is only the length that is troubling you,

i sometimes find it resolving to place several cotton balls pushed toward to the end of the inside toebox.

when your feet are in the shoes, the cotton will conform to your toes, you should place enough where it will take up enough space so your heel falls firmly against the heel counter properly.

but do this only if it does not place your widest ball area of the foot out of line with the widest portion of the shoes.
most shoes have an elongated toebox so the above should work out.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you walk around all day along with cotton balls stuffed inside your shoes?
marchal.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tongue pads or a padded insole will both work.

empyre.01d2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
tongue pads are items you stick under the tongue of the shoe , which when your feet are inside , pushes your foot back further.

my advice is if it is only the length that is troubling you,

i sometimes find it resolving to place several cotton balls pushed toward to the end of the inside toebox.

when your feet are in the shoes, the cotton will conform to your toes, you should place enough where it will take up enough space so your heel falls firmly against the heel counter properly.

but do this only if it does not place your widest ball area of the foot out of line with the widest portion of the shoes.
most shoes have an elongated toebox so the above should work out.

That being said, I've noticed that shoes my proper size (somewhere between an 8.5 - 9, sometimes even a 9.5--rarely), always have ample room in the toe box, but fit fantastic everywhere else.

Do dress shoes always have some spare room up there? I guess I'm used to wearing Puma's, where my foot would always encompass the entire shoe (toe box and all).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads