• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My favorite nyc store: davide cenci

marc39

Reaction score
For anyone living in or visiting NYC, a must-visit shop is Davide Cenci, my favorite in NYC. It's a very distinguished, old-line "haberdashery" which has its roots in Rome and the Madison Ave., NY, store is the sole US location. Very pricey, however they have 2 sales a year in which everything is marked down 30% or more. This is not Versace or Gucci Italian clothes, but conservative almost Ivy League Italian, the style of an Italian aristocrat--tweed sport coats, wide-whale corduroy trousers, flannel trousers, jackets. Cenci often has its own twist, such as cashmere corduroy trousers or a down-filled suede parka--Imagine Cortina, in the Italian Alps, or Como during the Summer, and you have the Cenci look--taste and style. Brands include Loro Piana, Avon Celli knitwear, JP Tod footwear, as well as some of the most original, imaginative, and wonderful outerware--leather, shearling, suede. Cenci sells very high-end off-the-peg suits and sport coats as well as an excellent MTM program with Belvest and other resources as manufacturers. Cenci is also one of the oldest shirtmakers in Italy, in fact their origins are in shirtmaking. Whenever I visit Davide Cenci, I just feel good, even if I don't make a purchase. And, when I wear clothes from Cenci, I know I'm standing out in the crowd. "Davide" or David Cenci runs the NYC shop and is an excellent source of guidance and advice. Marc

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no offense but it sounds like you copied that right off a sales ad for them...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Marc tends to yo-yo between very critical and effusive.

David Cenci does have some pretty nice stuff, admittedly, but nothing gets me in a more anarchistic mood than hearing people (a lot of nouveau and working rich Americans fall into this class) deifying "aristocracy", the Ivy League, and anything else they perceive to be upperclass - it's pretentious and annoying, more so because the parties often don't seem to appreciate the irony.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the address of David Cenci?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
801 Madison Ave., 212/628-5910.
Do you by any chance know the cross street?

Thanks

Kai

mr. magoo

Reaction score
801 Madison Ave., 212/628-5910.
Do you by any chance know the cross street?
Upper 60s. 68th or thereabouts, I think.

marc39

Reaction score
To LA Guy: I'll match my trust fund against your's anyday. I'll be on the Back 40 if you need me
smile.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not find Cenci in Rome to my liking. Window displays were full of Burrberry's, Fay, and Brooks Brothers (with outrageous prices)... Inside was relatively ho-hum too. It took them ages to find a grey pair of slacks for me (way to crowded).

The only nice thing was that the store was right nearby my favorite gelateria - Giolitti.

marc39

Reaction score
The Cenci store in NYC is nothing like how your describe the Rome store. DC is also on the same block as Tanino Crisci and across the street from Weston.

shoefan

Reaction score
The NY store is in fact much smaller than the Rome store, but I think the lay-out is better (of course, I was at the Rome store during their January sale, so it was a mob scene.) The NY store has a nice selection of casual wear, shoes, socks etc. on the nice first floor, with the tailored goods on the second. The Rome store seems like it was the result of several expansions, so to navigate across the store you take one stairway going up another then back down. It is also a bit worse for the wear and not nearly as elegant as the NY store. The Rome store has a large women's department, which is good for distracting a female significant other while you shop for menswear. Given its location and the cost of real estate on Madison Ave., I think the NY store is a bit more focused on the high-end clientele than the Rome store.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I thought it was 71st or 72nd, but I could be wrong.

I also like the store. I was especially struck by how luxurious the fabrics were.

But I don't understand how one can like Cenci, and not Jay Kos. I've been treated quite well at Kos, particularly considering all I bought were some socks and a pair of braces in 3 trips there. Maybe you caught them on a bad day...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought it was 71st or 72nd, but I could be wrong.
Nope, it's between 68th and 69th: Mapquest Map (Not that I knew, but that's the beauty of the World Wide Web.)

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Ahhh- it's Jay Kos that's between 71st and 72nd, on Lex.

Thanks, jcusey...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To LA Guy: I'll match my trust fund against your's anyday. I'll be on the Back 40 if you need me
No doubt, since I don't have a trust fund (How do you get one of those, anyway? They sound like fun
tounge.gif
) BTW, the Chinese have a curse "I hope that your children are born rich." Think about it. I just think that the image of the "Ivy League" is highly overrated and not just a little pretentious. Do you know that here at Harvard, undergrads refer to using their Harvard affiliation as a pickup line as "Dropping the H-Bomb"? Buying your own hype - how sad is that? What is a back 40, anyway?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads