• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Favorite Model

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lisa Fonssagrives-Penn
01.jpg
lisafonssagrives_2.jpg
She was a Swedish beauty known for her natural 17 inch waist. Also she was married to Irving Penn who took several famed photos of her.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Natural 17" waist? Whiskey, tango, foxtrot, over.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Natural 17" waist? Whiskey, tango, foxtrot, over.
Yes, she used to carry a cloth tape measure for anyone who doubted. In order to keep her figure she would eat 10 small meals a day; composed of such things as a glass of wine and a cracker.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yegads! A 17" waist is not particularly sexy. Bragging about it is even less so. Carrying around a tape measure to prove it to doubters is bordering on disturbed.

Chess, anyone?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In order to keep her figure she would eat 10 small meals a day; composed of such things as a glass of wine and a cracker.
Who was the cracker?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
Yegads! A 17" waist is not particularly sexy. Bragging about it is even less so. Carrying around a tape measure to prove it to doubters is bordering on disturbed.

Chess, anyone?

Ah, a different era.

Unlike many of today's top models, Lisa F.Penn was not a vacuous being.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Originally Posted by Quirk

Chess, anyone?
Ah, a different era.

Unlike many of today's top models, Lisa F.Penn was not a vacuous being.

I'm with you on this one, LK. And you never said she bragged about it, which I doubt she ever did. Word gets around.

Nowadays, women get boob jobs. These invariably look ghastly. While I appreciate a good rack, it is a very overrated region of the female anatomy.

During college, I was very good friends with a Russian former model who, though grotesquely thin, had an astoundingly beautiful figure. She was also brilliant and witty in a cynical way. I was in love with her and when I finally declared myself, she spurned me. One of the great heartbreaks of my life, but she was truly remarkable and rare.

Actually, I keep expecting her picture to show up among The Sartorialist's sartorialistes any time.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find a 17" waist rather more grotesque than breast implants (which I loathe). At least those, if done properly, aren't horrifically (physically) unhealthy.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thing with her 17 inch waist was that it was natural, not from any sort of surgery so it can be seen as less "grotesque" than implants.

As for unhealthy aspects, I am not sure, however she did live to 81 and was a ballerina and gymnast to boot.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If she had to maintain it through strictly regimented anorexia, "natural" is a rather generous term.

I prefer a girl who can kick ******.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love that strictness about her diet, nothing like today's absurd diets and their quixotic promises aimed at women who are quite incapable of keeping themselves regulated.

Would you consider yourself a follower of Leopold von Sacher-Masoch?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads