• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Favorite Jeans (pic)...and a question

jolla

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my favorite pair of jeans. They are John Varvatos USA selvedge and I'm pretty sure that they were one wash (as opposed to actually raw). I picked them up a couple of years ago at Off 5th's after-Thanksgiving sale for about 30 bucks after all of the discounts.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I wore them on and off over the past couple years and didn't really think anything about it. They weren't washed very often (only when my wife would secretly toss them in the wash) and have never been machine dried. After the last time I washed them, I put them on and noticed that they were the most amazing color blue--I was thrilled.

I've only recently gotten into the raw denim madness, and come to think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if none of my new raw jeans come out this great...BUT, I'm willing to try!

And that brings me to my question: What pair of raw denims should I get if I'd like them to fit me the way that these do?

I'm 5'11 about 205 lbs and I wear a 34 or 36 depending on brand. I'm looking at Nudies and I can't decide if I should go with Reg Ralf or Straight Sven. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!

jeans.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the old standby APC New Standard in a not-skintight fit would end up looking a lot like those. Mine finally are, though mine are a bit tighter. (I need to lay off the beer.)

minya

Reaction score
man -- those look amazing on you. Nice jeans. I can see why they're your favorite.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, my old apc standards (purchased circa 2000) are washed to a dark royal blue color.

I would suggest the Regular Ralfs in Used Deluxe wash with your true waist size if you want both the fit and a similar wash.

Edit: If you wanted raw, both the Ralf and Sven would be fine, depending on bootcut (ralf) or straight-leg (sven)

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice jeans. thats a pick up that rivals some of mine. id go with the ralphs. the sven selvage is the "flamish" denim, which wont look like those.

Babar

Reaction score
If you can find the Straight Sven in the old dry selvage denim, I'd go with those. If not, then the Regular Ralfs, or APC New Standard (tapered) or Rescues (straightleg), should fit the bill.

jolla

Reaction score
Trust me J, I need to lay off the beer too.

Thanks for the input. A couple of follow up questions:

Do the Ralfs and Svens fit the same above the knee, or are the Ralfs roomier?

I just looked around a bit and I really like the APC rescues. I think the standards might be a little tight on my big ass.
laugh.gif

Thanks!

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jolla
Trust me J, I need to lay off the beer too.

Thanks for the input. A couple of follow up questions:

Do the Ralfs and Svens fit the same above the knee, or are the Ralfs roomier?

I just looked around a bit and I really like the APC rescues. I think the standards might be a little tight on my big ass.
laugh.gif

Thanks!

Actually, I've found the Svens to be a *little* bit roomier above the knee. The RR has a smaller knee circumference than the Sven IIRC, to allow for the slight bootcut, and that means that the thigh-to-knee taper is a little more pronounced. All in all that means a little bit less room in the thigh area, esp the lower thigh. Given that you're 5'11" and 205, but don't seem to have a gut, I'm assuming that your weight is the result of muscle, so the lower thigh area might be particularly important for your quads. BUT the difference, as far as I can recall, is really pretty minimal. I think it comes down to whether you want a slight bootcut or a true straightleg, and what kind of denim you want. I like the RRDS denim better than the (current) SSDS denim, so personally, I'd go for the Ralfs.

The Rescues are pretty nice, too, and I think they'd probably look a little more like your Varvatos than the New Standards would. By the way, your Varvatos jeans are beautiful. Beautifully worn in, without looking like you went to crazy lengths to get high-contrast fading, etc.

jolla

Reaction score
Hey Saucemaster--thanks for the in depth breakdown. That was pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

I think I'm going to give the APC Rescues a shot and see how they work out. I'm thinking that a 34 might work considering the stretch factor. I work from home so I can wear them during the day and get a little stretchin' done if they are obscenely tight out of the box.

Thanks for the help!

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
the sven selvage is the "flamish" denim, which wont look like those.
You mean the streaks of white on the new SSDS?

If so, I might have gotten a steal on a pair...

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those are the ones. i like my denim a bit understated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads