• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My Father's Fashion Tips by Tom Junod

otis

Reaction score
http://www.esquire.com/features/arti...mfe_lou_1.html This is an entertaining article by Tom Junod that I read years ago in Esquire. I was happy to see it reprinted on the site today. I don't subscribe to all of his father's advice; he's got some interesting ideas. I've thought of this article a number of times over the years and could never remember for sure if it was by Tom Junod. Finally confirmed. Enjoy.

otis

Reaction score
Oh, and in answer to the obvious question, "why would anyone go to Esquire's website?", I confess I was hoping to find an update on that train wreck currently in progress known as the Esquire's Search for the Best Dressed Real Man in America. No luck on that front though...

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Junod is currently working on an article about the tailors of New York and their ancenstral home, 510 Madison Avenue.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I remember that article from when it was printed in GQ probably 8 or 9 years ago now. Thanks for reposting it, I'll enjoy rereading it when I get the chance.

otis

Reaction score
Oh I thought I remembered it being in GQ not Esquire the first time around...

ATM

Reaction score
Also, "What are you"”a policeman?" for black shoes with a blue suit.

Walter

Reaction score
None of this fashion advice really makes sense to me...

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good article (I've always enjoyed his writing style), but I'm sorry bikini underwear and white jumpsuits?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This old man is quite odd and dogmatic.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone have similar secrets from their father? My old man's would probably include: wear mephisto sneakers with a suit and the comb-over is great if you're bald. Needless to say they're better off not followed.

I was going to have a MTM shirt made for my dad, but it would be like giving Jim Belushi opera tickets.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have similar secrets from their father?
While unspoken (most of the best advice is), my dad's two best bits of style dogma would probably be:

(1) "On a three-button jacket, only one button should ever be buttoned. Here's a hint: It isn't the top one."

(2) "OK, so you're bald. Wear a hat. And wear it like you mean it."

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have similar secrets from their father? My old man's would probably include: wear mephisto sneakers with a suit and the comb-over is great if you're bald. Needless to say they're better off not followed.

I was going to have a MTM shirt made for my dad, but it would be like giving Jim Belushi opera tickets.
Mine would be something like:

"Clothes? Shoes? Do you really think you need tobuy new ones?"

My father thinks if you have more than 3 pairs of shoes, 3 suits, 7 shirts and 2 pairs of pants you are extravagent.

I remember once, he helped my unpack when I moved in to one of my apartments. He counted out my ties. To his horror I had something like 50, about 5 times more than he thought I would ever need.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My father had a fairly refined sense of style: he made a trip twice a year to Minneapolis to have suits made for him. But he also had the misfortune of living in a time when leisure suits, garish collars and polyester were "fashionable".

I look back at photos of him in his prime and see a sort of fashion schizophrenia: in some he is an absolute primer on dress, while his clothing in others would be best worn a long distance from open flame.

I do recall, with a mixture of fondness and youthful discomfort, being required to "dress" for dinner: blue blazer, grey woolen trousers, Bass Wejuns, white button-down and a rep tie for eating out.

Junod's father would've been an interesting dude with whom to spend an evening.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I loved this line:

"He is undoubtedly wearing bikini underwear, for anybody who wear boxer shorts is "a square" or "a farmer," as in, "What are you, a farmer?...."

Boxers are for FARMER.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.