1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

My Father's Fashion Tips by Tom Junod

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by otis, Jun 22, 2005.

1. otis

otis Well-Known Member

http://www.esquire.com/features/arti...mfe_lou_1.html This is an entertaining article by Tom Junod that I read years ago in Esquire. I was happy to see it reprinted on the site today. I don't subscribe to all of his father's advice; he's got some interesting ideas. I've thought of this article a number of times over the years and could never remember for sure if it was by Tom Junod. Finally confirmed. Enjoy.

2. otis

otis Well-Known Member

Oh, and in answer to the obvious question, "why would anyone go to Esquire's website?", I confess I was hoping to find an update on that train wreck currently in progress known as the Esquire's Search for the Best Dressed Real Man in America. No luck on that front though...

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Junod is currently working on an article about the tailors of New York and their ancenstral home, 510 Madison Avenue.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I remember that article from when it was printed in GQ probably 8 or 9 years ago now. Thanks for reposting it, I'll enjoy rereading it when I get the chance.

5. otis

otis Well-Known Member

Oh I thought I remembered it being in GQ not Esquire the first time around...

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

"What are you, a farmer?" He was a SF guy before there even was a Style Forum. [​IMG]

7. ATM

ATM Senior Member

Also, "What are you"”a policeman?" for black shoes with a blue suit.

8. Walter

Walter Senior Member

None of this fashion advice really makes sense to me...

9. whnay.

whnay. Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Good article (I've always enjoyed his writing style), but I'm sorry bikini underwear and white jumpsuits?

10. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This old man is quite odd and dogmatic.

11. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

Anyone have similar secrets from their father? My old man's would probably include: wear mephisto sneakers with a suit and the comb-over is great if you're bald. Needless to say they're better off not followed.

I was going to have a MTM shirt made for my dad, but it would be like giving Jim Belushi opera tickets.

12. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Distinguished Member

While unspoken (most of the best advice is), my dad's two best bits of style dogma would probably be:

(1) "On a three-button jacket, only one button should ever be buttoned. Here's a hint: It isn't the top one."

(2) "OK, so you're bald. Wear a hat. And wear it like you mean it."

13. topcatny

topcatny Distinguished Member

Mine would be something like:

"Clothes? Shoes? Do you really think you need tobuy new ones?"

My father thinks if you have more than 3 pairs of shoes, 3 suits, 7 shirts and 2 pairs of pants you are extravagent.

I remember once, he helped my unpack when I moved in to one of my apartments. He counted out my ties. To his horror I had something like 50, about 5 times more than he thought I would ever need.

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Stylish Dinosaur

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    My father had a fairly refined sense of style: he made a trip twice a year to Minneapolis to have suits made for him. But he also had the misfortune of living in a time when leisure suits, garish collars and polyester were "fashionable".

I look back at photos of him in his prime and see a sort of fashion schizophrenia: in some he is an absolute primer on dress, while his clothing in others would be best worn a long distance from open flame.

I do recall, with a mixture of fondness and youthful discomfort, being required to "dress" for dinner: blue blazer, grey woolen trousers, Bass Wejuns, white button-down and a rep tie for eating out.

Junod's father would've been an interesting dude with whom to spend an evening.

15. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

I loved this line:

"He is undoubtedly wearing bikini underwear, for anybody who wear boxer shorts is "a square" or "a farmer," as in, "What are you, a farmer?...."

Boxers are for FARMER.