• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My EGs are killing me!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my RLPL Mackays that I hope someone can shed some light on.

The left shoe does not seem to be breaking in properly. When my foot bends during my normal walking stride, the shoe puts pressure on the base of my big toe, creating/aggravating a blister. I suppose I am partially to blame for not wearing the shoes 2-3 hours at a time to start, but this has not happened with my right shoe, nor has it happened with any other pair of shoes I own. Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? Will it resolve itself over time?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is why instead of purchasing a pair of EG's, I bought this instead (costs about the same):

6500-blue.jpg

If there is a defect with the shoes, return them.

Jon.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That happened with my PS Grenson Masterpieces Rugby's, in the exact same spot. It was so bad my toe bled a few times. It eventually went away, but I wear the shoes infrequently. Partly because the style is too formal for me, partly because they scare me.
eek.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C...would a mild shoe stretching help with particular emphasis on that area?

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my Mackays. I developed a blister on top of my big right toe. After a couple of wearings, the problem and blister went away.

Dapper Dandy

Reaction score
You clearly have been cursed with bad EG karma by the EG fairy. There is only one known cure for such an occurrence: you must donate the cursed EG's to a fellow SF'er who is currently EG-less (ahem!), thus generating enough good EG karma to overcome the negative EG karma you currently have. Thereafter, all your EG's will treat you nicely. I'm so sorry for your loss.
biggrin.gif

ragdoll

Reaction score
I think your choices are: stretch the shoe or amputate your toe.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
You should donate them to a certain young lawyer in Manila. I hear he's eager to practice his "antiquing" skills.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll wear them for shorter periods of time and hopefully the problem resolves itself. I'm not sure that stretching will help, because my left foot is slightly smaller than my right. I have noticed that the crease that develops across the widest part of the shoe does not run across the entire width of the left shoe, as it does on the right, but seems to stop short of the toe area.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can't a shoe repair guy put some kind of lotion or whatever inside to make that part softer, and then fix the crease? I seem to have heard of that being done. Maybe you just need to give them a good bend.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like you got a good case of "Todd's revenge".

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd bet the miracle workers at Sky Shoes could fix the problem.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
I'd bet the miracle workers at Sky Shoes could fix the problem.
There are limits to their powers. Adam told me that he could do nothing for my Bally dress boots, whose upper is becoming unglued from the sole, other than regluing. (Sky has already re-glued the shoes once.) I may have to get a pair of Shannons . . .

janne melkersson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I think I'll wear them for shorter periods of time and hopefully the problem resolves itself.

I think you can fix them on your own. If you have a shoe tree which fit the shoe well build it up on the same spot as where your big toe are. You can use plastic padding or similar stuff. Buy some leather softener and spray it on the shoe (spray the whole shoe to avoid stains). Let the tree stay till dry. That is how I do it but instead of a tree I use a last but that is pretty much the same. Doing it this way the only place where the shoe will be bigger is where you want it to be bigg.
Good luck

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now and again in shoe threads, people have said, "For all the money you've spent on A-Es, you could've bought four or five pairs of EGs." After perusing this thread, I just as glad I've got my 27 pairs of A-Es. None of them has ever inflicted any pain on me!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads