• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My dress shoe collection

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Submitted for your consideration: My rotation of dress shoes for business.

aa592414.jpg

Allen Edmonds wholecuts, full collection of Hastings bike-perf (chili and black, left) and Fairfax (chestnut, merlot and black, right).

shoes.jpg

Left front: RL Tellman, chestnut.
Right front: Edward Green Malvern black.
Left back: Johnston & Murphy Aristocraft deerskin, black; Bruno Magli Platinum Line cognac.
Right back (w/out shoe trees -- for shame, for shame): Cole-Haan captoes, brown and oxblood.

This is a fraction of my collection. I have a similar number of slip-ons.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm diggin' those Fairfax, the Bruno Magli and the Edward Green Malvern. Im thinking of getting a pair of plain cap toes in chestnut. You wear that in the fall and with what, since its a lighter leather?

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Actually, I've worn them this spring. Call me apostate, but I break seasonal color rules with the same alacrity I break the "no brown in town" rule and the "black after six" rule.

I have paired them with a brown pinstripe RL suit and with a Corneliani charcoal suit with copper pinstripes, which looks stunning with various shades of brown. I've also got a pale grey RL suit that is just the right shade for various shades of brown and chestnut. I've also worn the RLs casually with cords and a tweed sportcoat.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent. I break the same rules. I also have some Ralph Lauren, in particular a dark brown with grey chalkstripe that gets some wear with my cognac colored shoes. I can get away with more in academia, but you ever tried some intense colored shirts under your brown suits, pinks magentas, orange? My girlfriend paired these up one day and now its constant for me.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really like the Tellman and the Chestnut Fairfax.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Malverns look like Cleverley bespoke (that's a good thing). Cool.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the colour on those Magli's

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoes!

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great shoes! Was really surprised how much I liked the AEs in your collection.

kcgreg

Reaction score
Great collection man! Love those Bruno Magli's!!!!

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Fairfax (chestnut, merlot and black, right).

I think you just changed my mind about this shoe...I might have to pick up a pair in chestnut.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nerdykarim
I think you just changed my mind about this shoe...I might have to pick up a pair in chestnut.

Glad to hear it. The Fairfax in chestnut really are striking and get a lot of compliments. I'm wearing them to the office today. While the #5 last is not for everybody, it fits my foot nicely. You should try them on before buying. The blind brogue wingtip is a nice touch; you get a wingtip and wholecut in one shoe. They are also remarkably weatherproof. Rainwater will temporarily darken the calf, but will leave no permanent discoloring. I keep them polished with Saphir light brown, which I use on the RLs too.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Glad to hear it. The Fairfax in chestnut really are striking and get a lot of compliments. I'm wearing them to the office today. While the #5 last is not for everybody, it fits my foot nicely. You should try them on before buying. The blind brogue wingtip is a nice touch; you get a wingtip and wholecut in one shoe. They are also remarkably weatherproof. Rainwater will temporarily darken the calf, but will leave no permanent discoloring. I keep them polished with Saphir light brown, which I use on the RLs too.

If I was unsure before, I believe you just sealed it...The next time I see a new pair on eBay close under $150, the top bid will be mine
smile.gif

Both pairs of A-E I have are on the #5 (Burgandy and Black Park Avenues). It's not perfect for my foot, but it's close enough. Also (as apparent by the two pairs of shoes I currently own) I need to casual-up my shoe wardrobe, and the Fairfax is a good shoe with which to do it. Last (and certainly not least) I recently ordered Saphir light brown and I don't have a shoe on which to use it.

Unless diorshoe/briiian13 recommendation (of the chestnut Colton) sways me first, this may be my next pair of A-E.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics