• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My dirt cheap transitional suit

dsmolken

Reaction score
Something I had made by a local tailor for less than $150. That's about what an inexpensive wool suit from a low-end Polish brand costs. It's dark charcoal wool with a twill texture. I'm planning to gain some more mass so the fit is definitely looser than SF standards, but hopefully it'll serve me for a while. Did three fittings - I asked for the third so I could bring a female friend along and get her to take a look also. On a random note, when I picked it up yesterday I noticed the tailor was working on some uniforms for female prison guards.

arcoh.jpg

arcol.jpg

pizz.jpg

Please give me the usual feedback/critique/massacre. I'll probably need another suit soon, as I only have one other one which still fits, and even there the trousers are getting tight in the hips. This is my first MTM suit, but I've got four pairs of MTM trousers and seven shirts.

More conventional poses are in the attachments. Sorry about the crappy pictures, that's the best my phone can do. And yeah, I noticed afterwards the shirt collar is all mangled. I fixed that, but didn't want to retake the pictures.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd certainly shorten the sleeves. I read about your plans to gain weight, in the back shot the shoulders still look a little wide.

flipster

Reaction score
I hope you will gain lots of mass. I'd say shorten the sleeves, as your arms length will (I hope for you) not increase. When you reach you planned new weight/size, post your pictures again, and ask for new advice.

mikemas22

Reaction score
Which Polish taylor makes a suit that cheap?? I haven't heard of anyone with prices less than $300... and crap at that.
If you're from Warsaw you will be better off going to A. Zaremba or you could try J. Wisniewski in Gdynia. Their suits will set you off some $1000-$3000 but they're definitely worth it. Comparable to the best SR taylors in quality. And fully bespoke, not MTM.
Oh and gain your mass first and have suits taylored later...

dsmolken

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I knew I'd get advised to shorten the sleeves. But I do need at least one suit with longish sleeves for concerts, family events etc. where the correct length according to Western rules would just look weird. I plan to have my next suit made with SF-approved sleeve length, though.

I don't plan to gain that much more mass; probably 20-30 pounds over the next year or two.

And I suppose SF wouldn't be SF without at least one "you should spend about ten times more money" answer. Eh, maybe someday.

mikemas22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
Thanks for all the feedback so far. I knew I'd get advised to shorten the sleeves. But I do need at least one suit with longish sleeves for concerts, family events etc. where the correct length according to Western rules would just look weird. I plan to have my next suit made with SF-approved sleeve length, though. I don't plan to gain that much more mass; probably 20-30 pounds over the next year or two. And I suppose SF wouldn't be SF without at least one "you should spend about ten times more money" answer. Eh, maybe someday.
3000 PLN for a bespoke suit is much money when Hugo Boss costs 3500?? At least you would get something that fits right... Hmmm, I've been sporting the correct "Western" sleeve length to many a Polish event and never felt weird. On the contrary. Don't you think it would look _weird to you only_ and not to the people around you? In that case you can always get used to your correct by universal standards (not only Western) sleeve length. There's no such thing as a "Western sleeve length". Either something looks good or it doesn't...

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikemas22
3000 PLN for a bespoke suit is much money when Hugo Boss costs 3500??
At least you would get something that fits right...

Hmmm, I've been sporting the correct "Western" sleeve length to many a Polish event and never felt weird. On the contrary. Don't you think it would look _weird to you only_ and not to the people around you? In that case you can always get used to your correct by universal standards (not only Western) sleeve length.

Are we talking about PLN or $ now??

dsmolken

Reaction score
Yes, that is much money, much more than I am willing to spend. This tailor charged 400 PLN for CMT. I might move up the scale gradually, but I'm certainly not spending 3000 PLN on my next suit.

I might shorten the sleeves, on the other hand they do seem to be a good length for playing bass...

A lesbian friend says it looks good, and she's got no reason to lie to me one way or the other.

dinted voice

Reaction score
I think the shoulders, especially the left one in the rear shot are too big.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice
I think the shoulders, especially the left one in the rear shot are too big.
Hmmm... my left collarbone is shorter than the right (broken, doctor decided it's better not to set it) but I did remember to mention this at the second fitting. But looking at that photo, I'm standing all crooked. It's probably not worth much for judging anything.

It'll be really interesting to see how this fits once I'm 10 pounds heavier. Better, I'm sure, but I wonder just how much better.

sl33p3rs

Reaction score
Nice,pants look a bit short on the first picture.
505259756244493872b7709a8a01b536.jpg
smile.gif

penguin vic

Reaction score
Shoulders and chest are way too big but you knew that already. Sleeves are also too long as everyone else has said. From the pics of you playing the bass also it also looks like your shirt sleeves are too short (or they may be getting caught up). The suit is very boxy - the very closed quarters aren't attractive IMO. But I guess if your lesbian friend says it looks good it must (and everyone else has a reason to lie ... or something) ...

mikemas22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
A lesbian friend says it looks good, and she's got no reason to lie to me one way or the other.
Really?? Well, I always lie to my friends about the way they look. The better the friends the nicer the lies I come up with. Then we end up giving one another sage advice about what could be done even better...
boxing[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads