• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Custom Suit

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally took some pics of the suit I had made. The fabric is a wool/silk blend. It has a subtle wide stripe and the color is a dark purple. The pics on the camera are a bit weird and I look shorter than I am, but you get the idea.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the suit, but not the Kenneth Cole shoes
laugh.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I only have 2 pairs of dress shoes, those and a pair of black ones from Aldo (I know!). They aren't Kenneth Cole, they are some Italian brand I picked up over there that I've never heard of. I like them just fine for the price I paid but I need to start building up some nicer shoes once I have some more money.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Finally took some pics of the suit I had made. The fabric is a wool/silk blend. It has a subtle wide stripe and the color is a dark purple. The pics on the camera are a bit weird and I look shorter than I am, but you get the idea.

Looks pretty good. Except, the pants look a little big in the leg to me, unless you prefer them that way. To me, it throws off the balance of the suit.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you have fittings? The back across the shoulders/collar doesn't look so great, you have some issues in the front, and I also agree about the trousers.

billiebob

Reaction score
I think that's the highest button stance I've seen on a two-button suit. The lower button (the unbuttoned one) is near your navel, right?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Did you have fittings? The back across the shoulders/collar doesn't look so great, you have some issues in the front, and I also agree about the trousers.
I did have a fitting, I forget which minor adjustments he made. I see what you mean about the collar and the front but it might just be the pics. I put the jacket on without thinking too much about it. I'll try it on again and see if my posture, etc has anything to do with it. My original inspiration for the suit was from Emporio Armani's Spring 2007 line:
00040m.jpg
I almost got the same exact fabric, but then decided on the dark purple. Looking in the mirror, I thought I seemed taller in the suit. Looking back now and comparing the pics, I should have made sure the skirt of the jacket was shorter. The suit was supposed to be a one button but the order got messed up and I needed the suit to wear to a wedding the day after I got it. Maybe the skirt can still be taken up, though I don't think I'm going to bother with it. I, on the other hand, do really like the pants, they are a boot cut and flare a little bit when I walk.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
I think that's the highest button stance I've seen on a two-button suit. The lower button (the unbuttoned one) is near your navel, right?

I've got some two button suits with similarly high button stance, I find that it looks good.

Wide trousers are good, too.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The Armani suit seems to have wider trousers.

yeah, it isn't an exact replica, those pants are a little too wide to be versatile I think.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I agree with zjpj83 that their are serious issues with the jackets silhouette on the front. It destroys the flow of the jacket. Other than that I think that the suits proportions are right on (jacket length, sleeve length, pant length, shoulder width). Brave move to go with purple.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talked to my tailor today. He said he will alter it for me and the reason it is sagging is that I have lost almost 2" in my chest. I was surprised to find how some of my measurements have changed in 6 months. I've also lost about 10 lbs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads