• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My cousin wants to buy her son a suit (age 17).

TheTakeover

Reaction score
She asked me for advice, but I dont really know what to tell her. He is going to a conference and he has to wear business attire. She said that she wants a quality suit, not one that will be worn just for this event. So I am assuming her price range is around $1,000. What brands should i recommend to her? She wants a modern cut she said, and the first thing I thought of was Black label, but Im sure she wouldnt want to spend that much on a suit.

Casey

Reaction score
Well, where is she located? I'm sure if she's in a bigger city, it would be very easy to find a great suit at a discounted price so that she doesn't necessarily have to pay a lot of a rewearable suit.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Get his measurements and watch the B&S and Yoox.

TheTakeover

Reaction score
shes in New York City

TheTakeover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Get his measurements and watch the B&S and Yoox.

She needs the suit by next Friday, so it will have to be OTR with some tailoring done to it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
He will probably grow + modern cut + B&M + soon = H&M

save the money and get a better suit when he stops growing.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless she's an unusually fashionable mom, I doubt by "modern" she means modern the way it's used here. I'd guess she's looking for something conservative but not terribly old man. Maybe Polo blue label. Might be able to find one on deep discount, if you live in an urban area, even on this short notice.

mystillwater

Reaction score
+1

H&M have some decent suits in modern cuts. especially at the NYC stores.

TheTakeover

Reaction score
How much is H&M? I have never been there before? And Polo Blue Label is a thought, but would that give him the "Modern, slim" look shes looking for? I havent personally purcahsed a Polo Suit yet.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt RLP (blue label) will really have quite the modern look she or he is thinking of, but some of their stuff is at least not old-mannish. H&M is probably closer to what they're looking for style wise though. I think their suits come in under $500 IIRC.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheTakeover
How much is H&M? I have never been there before? And Polo Blue Label is a thought, but would that give him the "Modern, slim" look shes looking for? I havent personally purcahsed a Polo Suit yet.

Depends on how modern and slim she wants. Some of the Polo stuff is way too short and tight these days, though other models are more conservative. I'd steer her from anything too modern -- presumably he'll need this for weddings and funerals and possibly interviews and the like.

If it's really just meant to be a slim knockaround for him to enjoy, I'd second the calls for H&M.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I doubt RLP (blue label) will really have quite the modern look she or he is thinking of, but some of their stuff is at least not old-mannish. H&M is probably closer to what they're looking for style wise though. I think their suits come in under $500 IIRC.

I've not met many moms who'd want a BL-style suit for their son's first. Usually, when I've heard the term in this situation, the moms are trying to avoid huge lapels or other obviously dated styling. Maybe not in this case, but we don't have much to go on.

I think what raised the red flag for me is "quality," which isn't usually uttered by moms looking for a fashion-forward suit.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
True. Well, last time I looked H&M weren't going way overboard with the lapels and such. Either would probably be a good place to look, and they can decide what they're looking for.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
True. Well, last time I looked H&M weren't going way overboard with the lapels and such. Either would probably be a good place to look, and they can decide what they're looking for.

Yeah, good point. H&M would probably be plenty sufficient for the limited use he'll get out of it. Mom probably isn't that hung up on the SF definition of quality, either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads