• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Considered Style

Bronze Age Sartorial

Reaction score
2). Prefer solid colors. No stripes, patterns or adornments. The exception to this rule is ties -- I’ll wear subtle patterns or stripes (solids are better).

Striped dress shirts seem pretty standard & offer some visual interest in otherwise conservative outfits.

10). No denim, camouflage, or tie-die. Ever.

No denim? Why?

dirtbag-delux

Reaction score
Striped dress shirts seem pretty standard & offer some visual interest in otherwise conservative outfits.

No denim? Why?
Yes, I agree with you about patterned shirts. There is something calming about solid colors. I wear light blue or white shirts when not physically working, blue chambray shirts at work.

Denim is like an overused catch phrase. So I suppose I have a contrarian streak. Besides that I find it to hot in the summer.

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I have been out if the CM discussion for a while, I am struggling with how seriously to take this thread (threak potential?)

Seeing @Phileas Fogg post here however has encouraged me to sub and find out

dirtbag-delux

Reaction score
Didn't you say you don't use catch phrases because they're ubiquitous (uninstall the thesaurus plugin plz)
Nyarlathotep you honor me by suggesting that patina is my favorite color has become ubiquitous. I don't believe it has, but if it does I will move on.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
What is an example of clothing that would "push people away?"

CM

Ever wear a suit while walking through an economically challenged neighborhood, the kind where folks can no longer afford even little luxuries like pride and shame? You'll find that CM is quite the attractive garment (in the most literal and awkward sense) then.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever wear a suit while walking through an economically challenged neighborhood, the kind where folks can no longer afford even little luxuries like pride and shame? You'll find that CM is quite the attractive garment (in the most literal and awkward sense) then.

why would I want to walk through such a neighborhood?

Leiker

Reaction score
why would I want to walk through such a neighborhood?
I live in such a neighborhood (Central City in New Orleans), and have had occasions to walk in the neighborhood wearing CM to go to a funeral service at a church, and to attend a high school graduation, as a couple of examples.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4). Avoid logos, exotic materials, loud colors, and gimmicky design. In a culture where people want attention, it is exclusive to be unobtrusive. Given a choice, choose to draw less attention.
If it doesn't scream "look at me", I ain't wearin' it! ?
Wow, explaining one’s overall style philosophy and the strategies you use to execute it is a great idea, IMO. There are a lot of people on SF with very distinct, carefully thought out, approaches who I would love to see explicate them in this fashion. (UrbanComposition, AnAcuteStyle, and Andy57 are among the first of many who come to mind).
I'm very flattered to be included in such a very short list. I'm not sure I could enumerate my approach to dressing in quite such the succinct manner of the OP. Here are a few common themes of mine, though, that have coalesced over the years:

No cuffs (turn ups) on trousers. Ever
When worn with a tie, shirts should be plain white or light blue​
When worn with a tie, a shirt should have french cuffs​
Don't be afraid of color​
What you wear should make you happy (corollary: clothes should be fun)​
Wear a dinner jacket as often as possible​

On short notice, that's the best I can do, I'm afraid.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
If it doesn't scream "look at me", I ain't wearin' it! ?

I'm very flattered to be included in such a very short list. I'm not sure I could enumerate my approach to dressing in quite such the succinct manner of the OP. Here are a few common themes of mine, though, that have coalesced over the years:

No cuffs (turn ups) on trousers. Ever
When worn with a tie, shirts should be plain white or light blue​
When worn with a tie, a shirt should have french cuffs​
Don't be afraid of color​
What you wear should make you happy (corollary: clothes should be fun)​
Wear a dinner jacket as often as possible​

On short notice, that's the best I can do, I'm afraid.

I like this list, and I need to make more room for dinner jackets in my life.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my experience, most people enjoy encountering someone who is dressed well. It brightens their day and makes them feel like they're in a more elegant setting. This includes poor people. I've never been to Haiti or the favelas of Brazil, but I'd be willing to bet that the people there would enjoy seeing someone wearing a bespoke Saville Row suit, etc.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't experienced this kind of exotification of CM clothing in economically challenged neighborhoods. I've walked through poor neighborhoods both in the US and abroad. I'm sometimes in CM clothing. No one notices and I go about my day.

I grew up in a low-income Vietnamese community and still like to go eat in such communities.

The same is true in wealthier neighborhoods. Few people notice or say anything about my clothes.

The few times I've received comments on my clothes, it's from people who are interested in clothes. Occasionally, I'll get the kind "you look nice today." But if the conversation is more specific, it's usually from someone interested in clothes. This is independent of their economic background.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics