• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Condo Thread

Petrolhead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by legorogel
dont you prefer solid wood over that glued together sawdust ?

And the design rarely strikes me...

solid wood is expensive as hell

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry for the derail

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I now have a mattress
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Met with the designer and looking forward to getting started on buying furnishings. Going to go with a "gallery" type look. White walls + art. Might be boosting the art budget a tad...

Petrolhead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by legorogel
this is the wrong forum for this argument.

it's not. this is a very valid reason to prefer plywood/laminate.

most people want to change the decoration of their homes often, maybe every 5yrs or so. what would hurt more to throw away, a €300 centre table, or an €800 one?

nontheless, I prefer real wood. however, I only purchase it for very punctual, quasi-timeless pieces.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Petrolhead
it's not. this is a very valid reason to prefer plywood/laminate.

most people want to change the decoration of their homes often, maybe every 5yrs or so. what would hurt more to throw away, a €300 centre table, or an €800 one?

nontheless, I prefer real wood. however, I only purchase it for very punctual, quasi-timeless pieces.

Most people throw out all of their furniture every 5 years?

jellywerker

Reaction score
@Dw: Why so? By organizing them how they have, all the utility piping stays on the same wall.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Most people throw out all of their furniture every 5 years?

Most people have absolutely no taste and believe in "decorating" their space.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jellywerker
@Dw: Why so? By organizing them how they have, all the utility piping stays on the same wall.

Well sure it makes sense from a plumbing perspective...it just seems funny as you could just have one bathroom (slightly smaller than the combined 2 bathrooms) in the same place and give the square footage to another room.

Then again, I have never been a multi-bathoom fan in most layouts. If you live there by yourself or with a significant other...you only need the master. If you and a roommate are splitting the unit, then one person gets shafted with the small bathroom (and it is also the bathroom that every single guest is going to use) in addition to the smaller bedroom (since you have to go through the master for the master bath).

Sure I get it in a big house (although I grew up with just one but there were only 3 in my family) but in a small apartment I think I would prefer the space. Too bad most nicer places seem to be set up this way

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just don't buy Amurikan. Amurikan standards of craftsmanship let alone manufacturing are behind Chinese nowadays.
I have a friend who is in remodeling his Manhattan penthouse and he cannot find anything decent, his decorator is searching for antique/vintage stuff internationally to furnish it.
He looked from established furn. makers up to individual craftsman and now completely given up on N.A. market. It seems that Amurikans never ever had neither taste nor eye for quality.

jellywerker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Just don't buy Amurikan. Amurikan standards of craftsmanship let alone manufacturing are behind Chinese nowadays.
I have a friend who is in remodeling his Manhattan penthouse and he cannot find anything decent, his decorator is searching for antique/vintage stuff internationally to furnish it.
He looked from established furn. makers up to individual craftsman and now completely given up on N.A. market. It seems that Amurikans never ever had neither taste nor eye for quality.

Well this is inciting. Consider me incited.

Hayato

Reaction score
I too am a huge fan of mid-century modern designs and furnishings, but let me tell you, it is expensive. Most authentic pieces or legit antiques are well into the thousands of dollars, but you would treat it as though you are buying art. Some designs are worth a lot of money, and will appreciate in time as pieces begin to dwindle. For furniture, check out some of those sites mentioned, but visiting antique stores can yield some really hidden gems. Also, pieces by companies such as Herman Miller or Knoll are always great.

I got a hand me down blender from my mother that was a Waring I from 1958. Some family members probably have some things in storage as well.

I was given some good advice, in that pick a few pictures for inspiration, and build around that. 1950s decor featured very muted wall colors (some sharp accent colors), lots of teak or walnut and lamp lighting. Apartment Therapy is a good site to keep looking at, the forums over at Lotta Living are very informative as well.

Hope that helps!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looking at that layout I would be tempted to turn the second bedroom into a walk in closet. Than use the closet between the bathroom and the master as a linen closet.

If you're without kids you wont need the extra room anyways and it'll probably turn into a storage space or an office.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've been in the condo for a month and still don't have much furniture and it's driving me crazy but I've at least got a better idea of what I want... Arktura Nebula Coffee Table - I love the look of this thing.
32558.jpg
Calligaris Seattle Cabinet 4 - Would serve as an entertainment centre, etc.
product_3371_3.jpg
I want a grey tweed couch...Something like this:
Paramount+Medium+Sofa.jpg
None of these pieces are definite...Just a general idea of what I like. Not sure what I want for accent chairs and as far as a kitchen table goes, I can't decide between round or square.
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Looking at that layout I would be tempted to turn the second bedroom into a walk in closet. Than use the closet between the bathroom and the master as a linen closet. If you're without kids you wont need the extra room anyways and it'll probably turn into a storage space or an office.
Not going to turn it into a closet...Probably going to just throw a bed in there. It's also where my dog sleeps, plays, hangs out, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads