1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My Condo Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Stazy, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

If you assemble your IKEA furniture correctly and take care of them afterwards they will last as long as your "better quality items" with the added bonus that you can use the money you save to buy other goods, better quality home entertainment system for example.

I have two IKEA items and they have hold up pretty well. Though I haven't moved...

2. fffffut

fffffut Senior member

Don't rule out buying your stuff at IKEA just because you think that the quality of the items are poorer there. Just because the prices are lower at IKEA doesn't automatically mean that the quality of the items is poorer than more expensive furniture.

If you assemble your IKEA furniture correctly and take care of them afterwards they will last as long as your "better quality items" with the added bonus that you can use the money you save to buy other goods, better quality home entertainment system for example.

this dude works for ikea

3. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Active Member

in Portugal IKEA gives like 10yr warranty for some items, and 30yr warranty for some other items. Where as I see myself having the same decoration for 10 years, 30 years is a very long time!

4. otc

otc Senior member

this dude works for ikea

Nah man, this dude is right.

Of course there is shit from ikea that is made out of cardboard with a thin veneer of wood that will die quickly (like the LACK series of cheapo tables) but there is other stuff that is great.

I have a desk that I have owned since 04 (maybe 03) and has been through many moves (complete disassembly and reassembly). It is still rock solid. But...when I bought it, I knew it was solid. It has a heavy surface (it may be plywood or a hard MDF...not sure) with a real formica/laminate top rather than a thin veneer or layer of paint.

Of course...I also have a Malm dresser with the drawer bottoms falling out and damaged veneer but what do you expect from a dirt cheap (carryover from my first apartment) unit with drawer bottoms made from glorified wooden cardboard.

If you are reasonably knowledgeable about materials/construction techniques...you can tell by walking around the ikea store how long stuff will last. The cheap stuff is good as a filler/short duration object (won't survive many moves) but is not long term. The nicer stuff is built to last (as long as you assemble it to last)

5. legorogel

legorogel Senior member

dont you prefer solid wood over that glued together sawdust ?

And the design rarely strikes me...

6. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Active Member

dont you prefer solid wood over that glued together sawdust ?

And the design rarely strikes me...

solid wood is expensive as hell

7. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Sorry for the derail

8. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I now have a mattress [​IMG] Met with the designer and looking forward to getting started on buying furnishings. Going to go with a "gallery" type look. White walls + art. Might be boosting the art budget a tad...

9. legorogel

legorogel Senior member

solid wood is expensive as hell

this is the wrong forum for this argument.

10. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Active Member

this is the wrong forum for this argument.

it's not. this is a very valid reason to prefer plywood/laminate.

most people want to change the decoration of their homes often, maybe every 5yrs or so. what would hurt more to throw away, a €300 centre table, or an €800 one?

nontheless, I prefer real wood. however, I only purchase it for very punctual, quasi-timeless pieces.

11. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

it's not. this is a very valid reason to prefer plywood/laminate.

most people want to change the decoration of their homes often, maybe every 5yrs or so. what would hurt more to throw away, a €300 centre table, or an €800 one?

nontheless, I prefer real wood. however, I only purchase it for very punctual, quasi-timeless pieces.

Most people throw out all of their furniture every 5 years?

12. Dw3610wm

Dw3610wm Senior member

The bathroom placements are quite funny but v nice man interior pics pl0x once you move in

13. jellywerker

jellywerker Well-Known Member

@Dw: Why so? By organizing them how they have, all the utility piping stays on the same wall.

14. SField

SField Senior member

Most people throw out all of their furniture every 5 years?

Most people have absolutely no taste and believe in "decorating" their space.

15. otc

otc Senior member

@Dw: Why so? By organizing them how they have, all the utility piping stays on the same wall.

Well sure it makes sense from a plumbing perspective...it just seems funny as you could just have one bathroom (slightly smaller than the combined 2 bathrooms) in the same place and give the square footage to another room.

Then again, I have never been a multi-bathoom fan in most layouts. If you live there by yourself or with a significant other...you only need the master. If you and a roommate are splitting the unit, then one person gets shafted with the small bathroom (and it is also the bathroom that every single guest is going to use) in addition to the smaller bedroom (since you have to go through the master for the master bath).

Sure I get it in a big house (although I grew up with just one but there were only 3 in my family) but in a small apartment I think I would prefer the space. Too bad most nicer places seem to be set up this way

16. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

Just don't buy Amurikan. Amurikan standards of craftsmanship let alone manufacturing are behind Chinese nowadays.
    I have a friend who is in remodeling his Manhattan penthouse and he cannot find anything decent, his decorator is searching for antique/vintage stuff internationally to furnish it.
    He looked from established furn. makers up to individual craftsman and now completely given up on N.A. market. It seems that Amurikans never ever had neither taste nor eye for quality.

17. jellywerker

jellywerker Well-Known Member

Just don't buy Amurikan. Amurikan standards of craftsmanship let alone manufacturing are behind Chinese nowadays.
    I have a friend who is in remodeling his Manhattan penthouse and he cannot find anything decent, his decorator is searching for antique/vintage stuff internationally to furnish it.
    He looked from established furn. makers up to individual craftsman and now completely given up on N.A. market. It seems that Amurikans never ever had neither taste nor eye for quality.

Well this is inciting. Consider me incited.

18. Hayato

Hayato Well-Known Member

I too am a huge fan of mid-century modern designs and furnishings, but let me tell you, it is expensive. Most authentic pieces or legit antiques are well into the thousands of dollars, but you would treat it as though you are buying art. Some designs are worth a lot of money, and will appreciate in time as pieces begin to dwindle. For furniture, check out some of those sites mentioned, but visiting antique stores can yield some really hidden gems. Also, pieces by companies such as Herman Miller or Knoll are always great.

I got a hand me down blender from my mother that was a Waring I from 1958. Some family members probably have some things in storage as well.

I was given some good advice, in that pick a few pictures for inspiration, and build around that. 1950s decor featured very muted wall colors (some sharp accent colors), lots of teak or walnut and lamp lighting. Apartment Therapy is a good site to keep looking at, the forums over at Lotta Living are very informative as well.

Hope that helps!

19. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Looking at that layout I would be tempted to turn the second bedroom into a walk in closet. Than use the closet between the bathroom and the master as a linen closet.

If you're without kids you wont need the extra room anyways and it'll probably turn into a storage space or an office.

20. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

So I've been in the condo for a month and still don't have much furniture and it's driving me crazy but I've at least got a better idea of what I want... Arktura Nebula Coffee Table - I love the look of this thing. [​IMG] Calligaris Seattle Cabinet 4 - Would serve as an entertainment centre, etc. [​IMG] I want a grey tweed couch...Something like this: [​IMG] None of these pieces are definite...Just a general idea of what I like. Not sure what I want for accent chairs and as far as a kitchen table goes, I can't decide between round or square.
    Looking at that layout I would be tempted to turn the second bedroom into a walk in closet. Than use the closet between the bathroom and the master as a linen closet. If you're without kids you wont need the extra room anyways and it'll probably turn into a storage space or an office.
    Not going to turn it into a closet...Probably going to just throw a bed in there. It's also where my dog sleeps, plays, hangs out, etc.