• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Commitment To Myself

sloaney

Reaction score
This has been placed next to my bathroom mirror. A smaller version will be photoframed on my office desk shortly.

My Commitment To Myself

Morning

Protein shake and creatine before leaving flat

Gym workout

Mid-morning

Fruit smoothie

Afternoon

Light and healthy lunch

Mid-afternoon

Protein shake

Evening

Light and healthy dinner

Drink water all day

Sleep 7 or 8 hours per day

Impeccable hygiene and grooming standards

Positive outlook and demeanor

Play 4 sports by end of 2008: swim, ski, shoot, sail (the "4S")

Qzar

Reaction score
Good luck man, and you really can't go wrong with any of the 4 sports.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Yeah.. do it one day at a time and keep it up. Good luck
smile.gif

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That'll get it done. I have a similar commitment to myself. To your health!

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best of luck mate, you can't go wrong with a devotion to your health. I have been doing a few reps a day with 30 pound dumbbells and riding my bike out just for fun, it doesn't really improve anything in particular but it keeps me active.

JB

sloaney

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Best of luck mate, you can't go wrong with a devotion to your health. I have been doing a few reps a day with 30 pound dumbbells and riding my bike out just for fun, it doesn't really improve anything in particular but it keeps me active.

JB

you're doing a few reps a day with 30 pound dumbbels and still nothing happened?

i think i have lost my motivation

L0g4n

Reaction score
Nice job on setting these goals for yourself.

What are your fitness goals? It looks like you have an opportunity to add more food and remove one of your shakes.

nioh

Reaction score
Why not eating good healthy meals instead of protein shakes? Why wasting calories on something close to zero nutrition? Go for an oatmeal breakfast and something like a salad/sandwich instead of the second protein shake.

It takes dedication, hope you'll make it!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nioh
Why not eating good healthy meals instead of protein shakes? Why wasting calories on something close to zero nutrition? Go for an oatmeal breakfast and something like a salad/sandwich instead of the second protein shake.

It takes dedication, hope you'll make it!

If you're doing weight training as he apparently is, he needs additional protein. While you can get protein by eating chicken, tuna, etc... it's usually easier and quicker to get it from protein shakes. Lately my diets has included two and sometimes three protein shakes a day, because getting 300-350 grams of protein a day is difficult without consuming inordinate amounts of chicken.

My normal daily diet is something like:

Breakfast 8:30 AM
16 oz Orange Juice with 1 scoop NO and 1 scoop Cell Mass 380 calories
Protein Shake with 16 oz Soy Milk 400 calorie

Lunch 11 AM
2 chicken breasts 300 caloreis
2 cups spinach 80 calories

1 PM
1 chicken breast 150 calories

3 PM

Pre-workout:

Workout:

Workout Drink 80 calories

Post-Workout:

Protein Shake with 16 Oz Soy Milk 400 calories
8 oz Grape Juice with Glutamine and Malodextrin 150 calories

Dinner:
Various protein/vegetables 500 calories

Evening:
Protein Shake with 16 oz soy milk 400 calories

Total: 3380 calories
Caloric Excess: 500 calories (maintainance is 2880)

I change things around a bit on non-workout days but usually about the same total caloric intake.

nioh

Reaction score
Oh, I'm fully aware of what conditions that do apply, however I stand firm by my statement as it has been proven many times that excessive protein intake is nothing but an expensive even possibly harming way to go. Also note that all kinds of protein counts, not only the ones from meat.

Available evidence suggests that protein requirements are not likely elevated, if they are elevated at all, by substantial amounts in persons completing exercise of either a dynamic or resistive nature. Ultimately, a debate on protein requirements appears to be moot for most athletes anyway, since their habitual intakes, particularly those of males, far exceed the RDA and even the most liberal estimates of requirement, which when estimated from existing nitrogen balance data in strength-trained athletes is ~1.3 g protein·kg-1·d-1 or ~1.1 g protein·kg-1·d-1 in endurance-trained athletes.
34qwj61.jpg

Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2006 Dec;31(6):647-54. Dietary protein for athletes: from requirements to metabolic advantage. Phillips SM.

Relationship between dietary intake and serum anabolic hormone concentrations of testosterone (T), free testosterone (FT), and growth hormone were examined at rest as well as after the heavy-resistance exercise (HRE) in 8 strength athletes (SA) and 10 physically active non-athletes (NA). In the first part of the study serum basal anabolic hormone concentrations and dietary intake were examined in the total group of subjects. In the second part of the study a subgroup of 5 SA and 5 NA performed the high volume and high intensity HRE. Dietary intake was registered by dietary diaries for 4 days preceding the loading day. Significant correlations were observed between serum basal T and fat (E%: r = 0.55, p < 0.05, g/kg: r = 0.65, p < 0.01) and protein intake (E%: r = - 0.77, p < 0.001, g/kg: r = - 0.68, p < 0.01) in the total group of subjects. However, when the two groups were examined separately the significant relationships between serum basal T and dietary fat and protein could be noticed in SA only (fat g/kg: SA r = 0.77, p < 0.05; in NA r = 0.44, n.s., protein g/kg: SA r = - 0.84, p < 0.05; in NA r = 0.27, n.s.). Both serum T and FT responses to HRE were correlated with fat (E%: r = 0.85, p < 0.01 and r = 0.73, p < 0.05, g/kg: r = 0.72, p < 0.05 and r = 0.77, p < 0.01) and protein (E%: r = - 0.81, p < 0.01 and r = - 0.69, p < 0.05, g/kg: r = - 0.86, p < 0.01 and r = - 0.65, p < 0.05). The results suggest the possible role of diet leading to alterations in serum T and FT during prolonged strength training, and that diets with insufficient fat and/or excessive protein may compromise the anabolic hormonal environment over a training program.
Int J Sports Med. 2004 Nov;25(8):627-33. Relationship between diet and serum anabolic hormone responses to heavy-resistance exercise in men.

ts4them

Reaction score
Damn Drizz, your diet must get pretty expensive.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sloaney
you're doing a few reps a day with 30 pound dumbbels and still nothing happened?

i think i have lost my motivation

Sloaney, you can't expect your contract with yourself to change the way you look overnight. That's why it's a contract and not a quickie. By getting yourself into a healthy routine, you are committing to a long term change of life for whatever your own personal reasons are. Once it stops feeling like work and starts feeling like habit, that's when you're allowed to lose your motivation--you won't need it anymore. For now, keep going man! You and Jet Blast are at very, very different stages in life. Please don't take his contextless "lack of results" as having anything to do with you and your personal growth. /intervention

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sloaney,
I haven't really noticed any dramatic results, no. But I did a lot of weightlifting for a while, I am mostly just trying to keep my biceps working so they stay looking good. I'm not really starting from scratch.

Besides my experience should have no effect on your motivation. Keep it going! Even if you aren't built like Schwarzenegger you can still say that you work out and don't sit around on the couch all day. It's all good for your health.

And as was said before, don't expect instant results. It took me a few months before I started to notice muscle growth when I first started lifting.

JB

L0g4n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
If you're doing weight training as he apparently is, he needs additional protein. While you can get protein by eating chicken, tuna, etc... it's usually easier and quicker to get it from protein shakes. Lately my diets has included two and sometimes three protein shakes a day, because getting 300-350 grams of protein a day is difficult without consuming inordinate amounts of chicken.

My normal daily diet is something like:

Breakfast 8:30 AM
Protein Shake with 16 oz Soy Milk 400 calorie

Lunch 11 AM
2 chicken breasts 300 caloreis
2 cups spinach 80 calories

1 PM

3 PM

Pre-workout:

Workout:

Workout Drink 80 calories

Post-Workout:

Protein Shake with 16 Oz Soy Milk 400 calories
8 oz Grape Juice with Glutamine and Malodextrin 150 calories

Dinner:
Various protein/vegetables 500 calories

Evening:
Protein Shake with 16 oz soy milk 400 calories

Total: 3380 calories
Caloric Excess: 500 calories (maintainance is 2880)

I change things around a bit on non-workout days but usually about the same total caloric intake.

drizz~
Don't you think you are consuming too many protein shakes? Chicken isn't the only source of protein besides powder. How about eggs, almonds, turkey, cheese, cottage cheese, peanut butter. I think you have a huge opportunity to consume your calories through different types of food and benefit from their nutrition instead of just chicken breasts.

Also, are you on a form of the Atkins diet? I don't see hardly any carbs besides vegetables?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics