• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Christmas Gift to a 39-40R

cuffthis

Reaction score
Instead of donating my excess clothes to Goodwill this year or selling them on Ebay, I am offering them FREE to a Style Forum member who will put them to good use. I am a solid 40R but for some reason all of these items do not quite fit right. I will explain the fit for each item. In order to make this fun, I will send all of these items at my cost to the person who makes me (and fellow Style Forum Board members) laugh the hardest with a sleek, pithy answer why they would like these items. I will announce the winner next Sunday night 1/2/05. Let's have a little fun with this. Item 1: Paul Stuart Blue Chalk Stripe "Edward" model double breasted, side vents, 4 functional buttonholes on each sleeve, adjustable waist with side buttons, forward double pleat trousers, 94% wool 6% cashmere flannel, marked 41R - 35W. Sizing is correct, except sleeves have been altered real short. I wear a 33" sleeve length and the sleeves as they are are too short. Retail value $1,284.
im0015972wf.jpg
Item 2: Paul Stuart Grey Chalk Stripe "Edward" model 2 button, single breasted, ticket pocket, side vents, 4 non-functional buttonholes on each sleeve, adjustable waist with side buttons, forward double pleat trousers, 93% wool 7% cashmere flannel, marked 41R - 35W. Sizing is correct, except sleeves have been altered real short. I wear a 33" sleeve length and the sleeves as they are are too short. Retail value $1,284.
im0016008pv.jpg
Item 3: Alan Flusser black (midnight blue) single breasted with cross grain silk peak lapels dinner jacket, 3 functional cross grain buttonholes on each sleeve, side vents, classic Flusser adjustable side tabs on trousers, forward pleats, marked 40R, but fits more like a 39R (too tight for me in jacket). A LOT of handwork in this one. Retail value - $2,000?
im0016022jc.jpg
Item 4: Ralph Lauren Purple Label Grey double breasted pinstripe sport coat, side vents, 4 non functional buttons on sleeves, 95% Super 120's wool and 5% cashmere fabric. Clearly marked 42R but rope shoulder fits more like a 39R. Retail value - $2,000?
im0016054jj.jpg
Item 5: Alan Flusser grey/olive(?) with subtle blue stripe 4 button double breasted, side vents, no working sleeve buttonholes, 100% wool. Retail value - $750?
im0016075gk.jpg

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I have the address of your goodwill and could you email me the next time you donate your excess clothing. That would really be appreciated.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I have the address of your goodwill and could you email me the next time you donate your excess clothing. That would really be appreciated.
He says you can buy them directly from him now.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
The shorter sleeves would be the perfect way to highlight my cufflink collection to my congregants. Don't you have any cufflinks?
biggrin.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like these items as motivation to keep up my workouts. I've been able to fit in some 40/41R stuff but they would definitely be some of those items you put in your closet as goals.
smile.gif

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... the elegance of the lines, the subtle shimmering of the patterns, the smooth, warm glow from within... where did you find that armoire?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see, where should I start? Â I'm one of the few (at least I think there is only a few) 20 year old who appreciate mens style as much as I do (i'm addicted I mean i'm posting here on Chrstimas.), but being in college I can't afford nice clothing like those you are giving away and am consistenly made fun of (in a joking way) because I don't shop at A&F and the like but instead spend what little income on fine mens clothing. Â Hopefully with these suits can help me break into the professional world by: A) giving me more confidence because I feel good about the way I look. B) Those around me will be captivated by my fine attire and could not help but hire me and give me the salary to afford the fine clothing that you have so graciously offered up :cough:suck up:cough:. and finally C) You have to look good to feel good to play good. The last bit why I should deserve these suits/jackets, is because I am many years away from affording these clothing and this is my one shot. Â Also the Alan Flusser Jackets would look real nice next to my Alan Flusser books
biggrin.gif
Sorry for the miny hard luck, sad/pitty and sucking up essay
blush.gif
And this is an great idea. Â There are so many nice peole on this forum. -Nik ::Edited for Grammar again thank god i'm not an english major:: OK last edit I promise, but I feel that it adds to my cause. I metioned what cuffthis is doing to my closet last night and when I did he became overwhelmed with joy. You see he has not been himself lately. He has been sad and depressed because he feels that he cannot compete with the other styleforum members closets who are beautifully adorned with wonderful garments. He feels "ugly," "empty" and "worthless," But with the addition of these fine articles of clothing he feels that he will be like a beautiful butterfly emerging from a cocoon, he will finally be back to his old self, full of beauty and pride.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(demeis @ 25 Dec. 2004, 3:56) ::Edited for Grammer::
You spelled grammar wrong. Â
wink.gif
Too bad I'm a 36, but I must say, this is a really nice thing you are doing. Dan
umm. that was umm on purpose to be funny
blush.gif
i'll get right on fixing that now.

cuffthis

Reaction score
Hmmm... the elegance of the lines, the subtle shimmering of the patterns, the smooth, warm glow from within... where did you find that armoire?

Good one.

PS - The armoire is Henredon. Good eye.

Demeis - good response. But others have until Sunday to top you.

Keep 'em coming.

OnTheMark

Reaction score
Twas the day after Christmas
On late night TV
When the screen showed George Zimmer screaming at me
His bad suit was hung off his body and looked
Like the skin of a jackass that got overcooked
His necktie was tied with a small, crappy knot
A pattern that looked like some petrified snot
And he stuffed a kerchief right into his breast
It just didn't match and I wasn't impressed

He looked all dressed-up but with style so cheesy
Then opened his mouth and his voice sounded sleazy
He said "Try Men's Wearhouse and buy my great suits
They'll look so damn swank with your cheap Payless boots
My suits are the best, just the best in the biz
And they're made out of wool, well steel wool that is
With tailors that tailor them just right for you
They fix them with staples and three kinds of glue"

And I saw how he dressed and it made me so sick
I said to myself "My God, who's this prick?"
His style gives me ulcers and boy how they'll fester
A regular freakshow wearing cheap polyester
Oh Hickey and Freedman, oh brothers named Brooks
Why must I wear suits from these creepy crooks
Even in NYC and in every damn mall
George Zimmer is selling his cheap **** suits to all

He sells double breasted that button from 4 to just two
Like donations to Goodwill "˜fore the 80's were through
And bad-cut three buttons with lapels cut too high
With trousers like flood pants that rise to the sky
And what of those neckties that take me aback
With patterns designed by a junkie on Crack
And ugly drab colors and materials that so
Remind one of Kleenex right after you blow
With no sense of style and no sense of class
People see me at  meetings and say
"Look at the tie on that ass"

But lo I believed George and thought I looked dapper
But wearing his clothes sent my career to the crapper
His suits"”how they felt bad how they made my skin itch
I got hives on my hives from that son of a *****
I sat there in meetings and scratched like a mutt
And my co-workers laughed at my sorry-dressed butt
Those suits ruined my career, it fell right off the cliff
"˜Cause they made me look silly and made me look stiff
Now I got a demotion and my life is a mess
Because of George Zimmer they think I can't dress

It's time to dress right and to make a sensation
But my budget is small so I need a donation
It's time that bespoke is the language I speak
And no more damn Macy's their suits are too weak
And you JC Penny and Sears don't you start
And no one should get a damn suit at Wal-Mart
So just send them to me, how I'll wear them so well
All my colleagues will say "Oh boy, there goes a swell"
So screw you George Zimmer and your damn stupid ads
Next time that I see you I might kick your nads
So I need new suits, I accept it so be it
But not from Men's Wearhouse-AND I GUARANTEE IT......

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Verse, good strategy OnTheMark, best of luck. I should get some of cuffthis's castoffs because the best xmas gift my family could muster was an Old navy fleece hat that - shudder - matched one given to everyone else. At least "Rusty" wasn't embroidered on the front. Some Catholics; my fam spends like Protestants.
wink.gif
Master of the partial rhyme: Cuffthis is man of fine taste who won't let his suits go to waste His contest's a hit And showcases the wit Of the forum's sartorial caste. (Ok, a little forced) There once was a guy from Philly, Who dressed well; well, not really, Cuz I just can't afford A suit from Paul Stuart Sans suit, I'm poor and quite chilly. On the second night of the New Year, I'll drift off to sleep in good cheer, Soon the time will be ripe To sport a chalk stripe And a pink wildflower boutonniere. Any chance a nice pair of vintage links could go to runners up?
smile.gif
Sorry for the shameless begging, cuffthis has some good taste. Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If anybody is interested in a size 40 navy cashmere db overcoat (d'Avenza for Davide Cenci), and really needs it, I'd give it up for the shipping. The coat is about 12 years old and there is wear and abrasion on the lapels. No video camera, so not pictures. PM me if interested. First response gets it. But please do not rhyme. Happy Holidays.

alaaro

Reaction score
I should get them because I actually wear a size 52, and I enjoy doing the Chris Farley impersonation..."fat guy in a little coat. Fat guy in a littttleee coooooaaaattt..."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads