• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My changed shoe collection since SF

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My work here is done....

Welcome to the team Shikar!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice! All of the shoes look great and I like the shine on the shells, especially. Are the black cowboy boots alligator?

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice selection of EGs, how do you like the Barksdale?
What's the EG/PL right to the brown grant?

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
You lucky devil
devil.gif

That shoe is now $1250 (Grant II)and only by special order
frown.gif

At the RL Sale last week, my SA got me the black Grant for 380 with the trees...a mistake as I pointed out to her when i saw it on my CC bill, but she said dont worry...just use the money to buy some more shoes!
bounce2.gif

Originally Posted by aportnoy
My work here is done....

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Thanks Andrew, I am but a humble water boy on your team, happy just to associate with the players...
worship.gif

Originally Posted by JayJay
Very nice! All of the shoes look great and I like the shine on the shells, especially. Are the black cowboy boots alligator?

Thanks Jay, the whiskey Alden is my fav color shell, but the black monkstrap is so, so simply....shell ! Both the black cowboys on the front row are alligator, with the other 2 in front being full quill ostrich (black cherry and brown). The ostrich is butter...pure butter...but very very strong yet tissue thin leather.

Originally Posted by SuitingStyle
Very nice selection of EGs, how do you like the Barksdale?
What's the EG/PL right to the brown grant?

The Barksdale is a little efeminate, summery, light, its almost dainty as its a very narrow last...but the antiquing is the best of the lot. The Dark Oak Mackay in the 888 last is next to the chestnut Grant. The mackay has a subtle presence about it..strong yet gentle..if the shoe could have a personality.

Regards

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shikar, Whiskey is also my favorite color of shell. I have a pair of NSTs like yours plus a longwing and a plain toe blucher. I've seen the monk strap in Whiskey and it is sensational; however, unfortunately, my size wasn't available. I like monks, especially in shell, and agree that they demonstrate the character of shell best. However, I'm wed to a silver buckle and haven't found any with the buckle but was willing to make a compromise for the Whiskey.

Again, you have a wonderful collection of shoes. Thanks for posting pics.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
I have learned a lot about shoe construction and other nuances here, which lead to a greater appreciation of a fine shoe. The fun part about shoes is most people dont notice anything unusual...but the wearer gets a silent satisfaction. Unfortunatly now its difficult to settle for average...as my mentor used to say!

Here is my complete collection of shoes.

Lucchese

....it is Texas after all....
laugh.gif

Regards

Originally Posted by aportnoy
My work here is done....

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Andrew your journey hadn't started tilll you get some Cowboy Boots.
laugh.gif
And I thought you were the master!

And Shikar, your boots are beautiful.

I mock neither of you since I too live in Houston, Tx.

I think Shikar has a little more $$$ and space than I do, so I have gotten rid of my boots over the last 3 years, and used the space for other acquisitions.

Lucchese certainly has a cachet among boot lovers and I love your Alligator and Ostrich choices.

I've lived here about 30 years Shikar and I've found that over the years I was wearing my boots less and less. Since starting with SF about 3 years ago, I hadn't worn them at all. Since my boots weren't Lucchese exotics, I gave them away.

My question is. Did you wear your boots much previously to your participation in SF, and do you wear them less now that you are a very valued member of SF, and your taste in shoes has changed?

BTW: I imagine that the Maglis, Ferragamos, and Clarks that you used to wear were quite adequate, but you haven't pictured them like you have your Luccheses.
laugh.gif

And yes, your new collection is superb. It really shows taste and discernment. Someone could just walk into Neiman Marcus. on Post Oak Blvd. and buy a bunch of shoes, but it would probably be very different from your collection.

I agree with you (and the master "Andrew"), that the most fun of wearing a superb shoe like an EG or a JL is my the wearers appreciation of the quality. Very different than owning or wearing something expensive and gaudy.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
laugh.gif

Don't English cowboys wear heather gorse on their version of the range?
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Amazing.

Prior to this board, i would have never considered buying a pair of $1000+ shoes as something that seems normal.....now i do....dammit!
lol8[1].gif

I dont ever spend less, i just buy more expensive things at greater discounts, lol.

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
laugh.gif

And Shikar, your boots are beautiful.

I mock neither of you since I too live in Houston, Tx.

I think Shikar has a little more $$$ and space than I do, so I have gotten rid of my boots over the last 3 years, and used the space for other acquisitions.

Lucchese certainly has a cachet among boot lovers and I love your Alligator and Ostrich choices.

I've lived here about 30 years Shikar and I've found that over the years I was wearing my boots less and less. Since starting with SF about 3 years ago, I hadn't worn them at all. Since my boots weren't Lucchese exotics, I gave them away.

My question is. Did you wear your boots much previously to your participation in SF, and do you wear them less now that you are a very valued member of SF, and your taste in shoes has changed?

BTW: I imagine that the Maglis, Ferragamos, and Clarks that you used to wear were quite adequate, but you haven't pictured them like you have your Luccheses.
laugh.gif

And yes, your new collection is superb. It really shows taste and discernment. Someone could just walk into Neiman Marcus. on Post Oak Blvd. and buy a bunch of shoes, but it would probably be very different from your collection.

I agree with you (and the master "Andrew"), that the most fun of wearing a superb shoe like an EG or a JL is my the wearers appreciation of the quality. Very different than owning or wearing something expensive and gaudy.

Thanks rnoldh. I have completly stopped wearing boots to dinners and more formal occasions since joining SF. They are religated to office (as i rarely wear a suit to work) and casual use. Have worn boots for the past 2 years, being in houston for 12 years I gave in after a decade. I sincerly appreciate your approval as I have learnt a lot from your posts, I hope to attain your eye for all things *Gentlemanly*.
worship.gif

PS. In residency my mentor would interrupt any resident begining a patient presentation with...*65 yr old gentleman presented with...*. He would ask the resident how he assertained the patient was a *Gentleman*? He asked us to use the term *Gentleman* for people deserving the title, and in presentations use, *65 yr old man presented with.....*, but i digress.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Amazing.
Prior to this board, i would have never considered buying a pair of $1000+ shoes as something that seems normal.....now i do....dammit!
lol8[1].gif

I dont ever spend less, i just buy more expensive things at greater discounts, lol.

I agree we may spend more, but now we are making a highly educated decision....vs just buying *stuff*.
teacha.gif

Regards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads