• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Chan doesn't fit.

new obsession

Reaction score
I have a Chan that I hade made recently in HK (about 2 weeks ago), and after one wearing I have discovered that it is not comfortable through the top of the chest and shoulders. I think the arm holes need to be raised at least, and possibly other modifications to the shoulders and upper arm.

Anyone have experience having Chan suits altered when they come here? I figure I will go to him, tell him my concerns, see what we can do about it, and he will bring it back to HK, fix it, and send it back, that about right?

Should I communicate my concerns to him ahead of time?

(In addition the shirt he measured me for and sent later seems fairly tight through the shoulders, even pre-washing, am I stuck?)

Thanks.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you communicate your concerns ahead of time, my experience is that they will want you to mail it back to them (at your cost).

I suggest you bring it next time they are in town without warning them ahead of time. Then they can note changes and take the garment back with them.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You didn't catch those problems during the fittings? Yes, of course you should communicate your concerns to them.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
If you communicate your concerns ahead of time, my experience is that they will want you to mail it back to them (at your cost).

I suggest you bring it next time they are in town without warning them ahead of time. Then they can note changes and take the garment back with them.

My experience is the opposite. While they were willing to have me send the suit back to them so they could try and make changes from my directions and from pictures, they preferred the chance to meet with me on their next tour. So I did exactly that, and the alterations were performed to my complete satisfaction.

new obsession

Reaction score
You didn't catch those problems during the fittings?
I am new at this, and frankly felt something was not quite right, but I wasn't sure what. (and frankly I was slightly overwhelmed by the whole process, that being my first time 1) in Asia [jetlag and all], 2) in HK, 3) having a custom suit made.) Additionally, I did not think to move around significantly in the coat. When I wear it standing still, it fits nicely, snug, but comfortable. Lesson learned. Hopefully no harm done.

Yes, of course you should communicate your concerns to them.
do you think I shoud wait until they get here as well, or let them know ahead of time?

My View2

Reaction score
If you made the suit in HK, it probably was bespoke, am I right? If so, I am surprised that these problems were not discovered during the fitting process - either by yourself or by the experienced fitters at Chan. Don't get me wrong, your point about jetlag and that you were a newbie in this cutom suit affair were all valid.

new obsession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by My View2
If you made the suit in HK, it probably was bespoke, am I right? If so, I am surprised that these problems were not discovered during the fitting process - either by yourself or by the experienced fitters at Chan. Don't get me wrong, your point about jetlag and that you were a newbie in this cutom suit affair were all valid.

You are right, it was. But it may be less a matter of "it doesn't fit," than I do not find it comfortable. Specifically it has what I have come to understand as low armholes. Perhaps Patrick thought that was what I wanted, perhaps I am confused, all I know is I need to have something done in order to feel comfortable wearing it. I have every confidence in Patrick, and I am sure it will be fixed.

But am I the only person ever to have walked away from a bespoke suit in HK and said... you know, something just isn't right? How do you communicate that, especially when you have a flight the next day?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads