• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Carmina cordovan shoes arrived, but.....

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some fit issues, but first, what an elegant shoe this is in burgundy cordovan.

DSCN0720.jpg

Now some fit issues. The length is very similar to some of my other shoes, including a cordovan Alden in the same burgundy cordovan. But somehow, when the shoes are laced up as shown, I can still insert half my index finger between my heel and the shoe heel when I push my foot forward into the shoe.

When I was fitted by Edward Green in London, they told me that a new oxford shoe should lace up to show a "V" in the opening. The top of the "V" should be just over a half inch so that the lacing will close up when the foot settles into the sole and when the leather uppers stretch. The top of the "V" on my Carminas are almost touching.

Could it be that the length is about right, but that the shoe is too wide such that my foot is slipping forward? Any similar experiences out there?

DSCN0722.jpg

DSCN0725.jpg

DSCN0730.jpg

horton

Reaction score
that seems too large. Can you return them? I think this is beyond insoles or the like

pkincy

Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful shoes!!!

Try the tongue pads or insoles.

They are lovely.

I love wholecuts.

Perry

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aren't cordovan wholecuts quite rare?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The good thing is I can exchange them for another size. The issue is whether

- I should keep the length and go one width down, or
- Go down a half size and maintain the same width.

Thought?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
firstly geat shoes and if it was me i would keep the width and loose the length
lol8[1].gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
The good thing is I can exchange them for another size. The issue is whether

- I should keep the length and go one width down, or
- Go down a half size and maintain the same width.

Thought?

Great shoes!! I think it's an easy call that you should go down a half size. You say that they are too long , and are loose in the heel. Hopefully going down half a size should solve that.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Where can I get them and for how much? (Sky Valet?)

ditto. Please speak! I cannot live another day (week?) without these shoes
musicboohoo[1].gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you say that the shoe is on an elongated last? If so, isn't there suppose to be dead space in the toe box such that if you purposely slide your foot forward you'll be able to fit your finger between the heel and heel cup of the shoe? You can only fit half your index finger. How tight are the shoes suppose to be? I would imagine that you need some space in the front for your toes while your foot slides forward while walking. Obviously you don't want your heel to be sliding out of the shoe as you walk, but I didn't think new shoes had to be tight. I'm no expert on fit, nor do I know exactly how much a shoe will stretch, but from your pics I think it looks fine. More importantly though, how does it feel?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered them from Carmina in Paris. They are the only ones that stock this last - Rain. It takes considerable effort and lead time. Price is Euro550, not bad for cordovans.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
firstly geat shoes and if it was me i would keep the width and loose the length
lol8[1].gif

I am not sure if they are too long. Look at the photo with some of my shoes. The Carmina's length is almost identical. I suspect my foot can slide forward because the shoe is a tad too wide.

horton

Reaction score
When checking shoe fit, I've often been told that the most important length measurement is the ball of your foot to your heel (i.e., not toe to heel). The ball of your foot should be positioned in the widest part of the shoe and should fit well there. The overall length is far less relevant (as long as it's not crunching your toes).

The finger in the back of the shoe strongly suggests the length needs to be adjusted first (then you can check width again)

Great shoes

aarghh

Reaction score
I got a similar pair of wholecuts (in calf, not cordovan) from their shop in Barcelona. I normally wear a 9D US, but the salesman there sized me at 8EUK. Its a perfect fit for me at that.

I'll be back in Spain this October, so heigh-ho, off to Carmina I go!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I'll take them off your hands if they are a 10-10 1/2 (I'm such a leech!!)

Beautiful shoes. Try insoles. Where can I get them and for how much? (Sky Valet?)

you'll take them, you'll take them, it is like that Life commercial, give it to Mikey, he'll eat it. !!!

just kidding, we c ant get enough shoes ,right? im doing the same, start hiding some shoes at work, no more room at home.

kole, those carminas are very delectable and the simple sleek look is so pure looking.
i dont think that is a 'rule" that is unbreakable, i have alot of bals and some dont touch at the end ranging from quarter inch all the way to totally closed up. yes, the quarter inch spread does look a little more elegant but having them closed all the way up, looks more correct in my eyes, either way nobody knows and i dont really care anyways as long as the fit is comfortable.

lot of my italian shoes have the elongated toebox and if i push hard enough my foot forward i can insert a whole thumb between my heel and the shoe backing.but when my foot is to slip in naturally and wear up naturally, usually there is space enough for half a pinky width.

as long as the WIDTH is correct meaning the BALL of your foot falls where the shoe is at the WIDEST, and there is no tightness where you cannot move your toes, and also there is no looseness around the vamp and ball of your feet, then it is fine.
usually the length can be varied depending on the styling. as long as the ball and instep of your foot fits into place at the right spot and the heel to be either all the way back to the shoe backing or half index finger or less, it is fine. you can have a two inch toebox of deadspace and it will not really matter too much , just dont go too long or you will start tripping over your own shoes and it will also alter your gait, forcing you to take broader strides than used to eventually giving you minor shin splints and pain in the knees.

but it also depends on the wearer's feel for comfort, some like it very snug, breaking in the shoes eventually over time, some like it tight and snug more so for people and makers who make and wear english shoes.

some like it a bit more loose , like me, usually when loose the bals close up all the way but as long as i am not tripping over my shoes length, my gait is not altered, when i shake my foot my shoe does not fly off, and the width is perfect, ..i can play with the length.

.wow, i didnt even read hortons response above. well, at least we are all being educated congruently by the shoesalesmen

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads