1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My car wouldn't start this morning, please diagnose.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by von Rothbart, Mar 27, 2006.

1. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Well-Known Member

I couldn't start my car this morning, before I call a toll truck I want to check with you guys to see may be there's something that can be easily fixed.

I turned the key and the radio and ventilation were on, and the steering wheel tilted and telescoped to my pre-set setting, so it wouldn't be a dead battery. There's no clicking sound from the ignition when I turned the key. It seemed as if the ignition was totally disable. Is there a problem with the ignition? Fuel pump?

2. topcatny

topcatny Well-Known Member

If the car didn't turn over when you turned the key I'd guess it's a problem with the starter. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine though.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Just do what Elvis did when his De Tomaso Pantera wouldn't start: shoot it!

What kind of car do you have? Possibly it could be the starter. Or the fuel pump. Did you try to give it gas while you started the car?

Jon.

4. von Rothbart

It's an E38. There's no point of stepping on the gas because the engine wouldn't turn on, no clicking sound from the starter at all. A total silence as I turned the key.

5. imageWIS

Hmm...is there an ignition lock out feature that the computer has that could have been inadvertently triggered? I.e. from an alarm or via the keyless remote control?

Jon.

6. von Rothbart

That's a good point. It seemed as if the ignition was disabled but I had no trouble unlocking and locking the car by remote.

7. imageWIS

This is why I asked what kind of car. Because on a Chevy I would hardly expect that it would have some sort of cutoff feature, but on a German car, well that's a different story.

Jon.

8. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Have a trustworthy mechanic check the ignition coils, spark plug, relays and fuel pump.

9. imageWIS

Have a trustworthy mechanic check the ignition coils, spark plug, relays and fuel pump.

Even if one spark of the plugs was not working the car would still start; the same goes with the coils. All the spark plugs or all the coils would have to break in order for the engine to completely fail.

Jon.

10. j

j Well-Known Member

Starter solenoid would be the first thing I would check. You could short the solenoid to the battery with a jumper cable and see if it clicks. If so, there is something between that and the key. If not, it's the solenoid.

11. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Well-Known Member

Starter solenoid would be the first thing I would check. You could short the solenoid to the battery with a jumper cable and see if it clicks. If so, there is something between that and the key. If not, it's the solenoid.

I just had the solenoid go out on my Camaro.

And, yes (to preempt any inquiries), the car came complete with the full Bon Jovi ouvre.

12. von Rothbart

I am almost completely clueless when it comes to inner mechanical working of a car. So what is a solenoid? What does it do?

13. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

I'd still bet it's your battery. My E46 did the same thing when its battery died: the lights and electronics in the car worked, but the engine wouldn't turn. Is there an easy way for you to jumpstart it?

--Andre

14. imageWIS

I'd still bet it's your battery. My E46 did the same thing when its battery died: the lights and electronics in the car worked, but the engine wouldn't turn. Is there an easy way for you to jumpstart it?

--Andre

But wouldn't the battery completely die out? I mean, yes the radio uses a lot less electricity than starting the cars engine, but still, wouldn't the battery just be completely dead?

Jon.

15. jay allen

jay allen Well-Known Member

But wouldn't the battery completely die out? I mean, yes the radio uses a lot less electricity than starting the cars engine, but still, wouldn't the battery just be completely dead? Jon.
    There may be a sensor that doesn't allow the starter to engage if it detects low amperage from the battery. This, in theory, would protect the starter from damage.

16. imageWIS

There may be a sensor that doesn't allow the starter to engage if it detects low amperage from the battery. This, in theory, would protect the starter from damage.

Ohhhhhhhh...gotcha.

Jon.

17. von Rothbart

Ok, if you guys think it's the battery I'll give a jump tonite. But last time I had a dead battery (forgot to turn off light with sub-zero temperature), the light was very dim, the remote didn't work (I had to use the keyhole to unlock), ventilation off, steering wheel didn't move back to pre-set setting. And this time it seems the battery is still full of juicy.

18. j

j Well-Known Member

I am almost completely clueless when it comes to inner mechanical working of a car. So what is a solenoid? What does it do?
    The solenoid moves the starter gear into the flywheel or flexplate so it can engage and turn the engine over, and also makes the high current connection to power the starter motor.

http://www.carcare.org/Electrical/solenoid.shtml

19. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Well-Known Member

i'll bet a dollar that he needs a new starter.

20. j

j Well-Known Member

i'll bet a dollar that he needs a new starter.
    Bosch starters are pretty robust (they do die, though), and if it were just the starter, not the solenoid, he would probably get a click or a clunk from the solenoid.