• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My car wouldn't start this morning, please diagnose.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't start my car this morning, before I call a toll truck I want to check with you guys to see may be there's something that can be easily fixed.

I turned the key and the radio and ventilation were on, and the steering wheel tilted and telescoped to my pre-set setting, so it wouldn't be a dead battery. There's no clicking sound from the ignition when I turned the key. It seemed as if the ignition was totally disable. Is there a problem with the ignition? Fuel pump?

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the car didn't turn over when you turned the key I'd guess it's a problem with the starter. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine though.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just do what Elvis did when his De Tomaso Pantera wouldn't start: shoot it!

What kind of car do you have? Possibly it could be the starter. Or the fuel pump. Did you try to give it gas while you started the car?

Jon.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an E38. There's no point of stepping on the gas because the engine wouldn't turn on, no clicking sound from the starter at all. A total silence as I turned the key.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a good point. It seemed as if the ignition was disabled but I had no trouble unlocking and locking the car by remote.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Have a trustworthy mechanic check the ignition coils, spark plug, relays and fuel pump.

Even if one spark of the plugs was not working the car would still start; the same goes with the coils. All the spark plugs or all the coils would have to break in order for the engine to completely fail.

Jon.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Starter solenoid would be the first thing I would check. You could short the solenoid to the battery with a jumper cable and see if it clicks. If so, there is something between that and the key. If not, it's the solenoid.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Starter solenoid would be the first thing I would check. You could short the solenoid to the battery with a jumper cable and see if it clicks. If so, there is something between that and the key. If not, it's the solenoid.

I just had the solenoid go out on my Camaro.

And, yes (to preempt any inquiries), the car came complete with the full Bon Jovi ouvre.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am almost completely clueless when it comes to inner mechanical working of a car. So what is a solenoid? What does it do?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd still bet it's your battery. My E46 did the same thing when its battery died: the lights and electronics in the car worked, but the engine wouldn't turn. Is there an easy way for you to jumpstart it?

--Andre

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I'd still bet it's your battery. My E46 did the same thing when its battery died: the lights and electronics in the car worked, but the engine wouldn't turn. Is there an easy way for you to jumpstart it?

--Andre

But wouldn't the battery completely die out? I mean, yes the radio uses a lot less electricity than starting the cars engine, but still, wouldn't the battery just be completely dead?

Jon.

jay allen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
But wouldn't the battery completely die out? I mean, yes the radio uses a lot less electricity than starting the cars engine, but still, wouldn't the battery just be completely dead? Jon.
There may be a sensor that doesn't allow the starter to engage if it detects low amperage from the battery. This, in theory, would protect the starter from damage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads