My C&J Tetbury boots finally came!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by IBJanky, Mar 24, 2010.

1. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

^Thx fr th cnfrmtn. Hadn't realized they actually go on top of a layer of leather, I thought they went directly onto the welt.

IBJanky, any chance we can get a shot of the stiching on the sole up close. On another thread with a Dainite resole it looked like the stitching was flush with the surface rather than recessed, which would make me a little wary, despite the reassurances.

I def need some dainites for rain...

No problem, here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stitching is more flush than recessed as seen in the pics.

The rubber "studs" protrude father than the rest of the sole though.

myke

2. Guero

Guero Senior member

Myke,

Congratulations, those are great shoes. I ordered some C&Js from Bodiley's, as I see you did as well, more than two months ago and still no box on my doorstep. I'm told that the shoes I ordered arrived "substandard" and thus would not be shipped. How long did it take to complete your order from order date to receipt? Thanks.

3. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I got caught in a bad rain storm 2 days ago with my Tetbury, the shoes got soaked.
    Now the surface has dryed up, but I see a ring of water marks now left on the lether, near the sole. Anyone has any idea?

BTW, I am in the same situation as the OP, and got both lether and suede boots, love them both.

My guess that it might be salt stains - use some white vinegar and water solution to wipe them off.

4. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

Myke,

Congratulations, those are great shoes. I ordered some C&Js from Bodiley's, as I see you did as well, more than two months ago and still no box on my doorstep. I'm told that the shoes I ordered arrived "substandard" and thus would not be shipped. How long did it take to complete your order from order date to receipt? Thanks.

I ordered the shoes March 4th, and picked them up from the post office this morning (March 24th).

myke

5. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Yeah, I ordered them from Bodiley's of Northampton. I wear a size 13D US and just went with the UK size equivalent of 12 E.

myke

whaaaa?? don't know why I expected you to have smaller feet.

How's the 348 last look on a bigger foot? I've been wanting to pull the trigger, but I'm a little concerned the 348 looks a little too pointy on a large size.

Congrats on the purchase, by the way. They look very nice.

6. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

No problem, here you go:

[​IMG]
    The stitching is more flush than recessed as seen in the pics.

The rubber "studs" protrude father than the rest of the sole though.

myke

Thanks. If that's SOP, it must work fine... I think I'm evetually gonna get the EG Shannon, its becoming impossible to resist. Too bad C&J doesn't make a similar boot... ($$$$$$$$$)

7. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Thanks. If that's SOP, it must work fine... I think I'm evetually gonna get the EG Shannon, its becoming impossible to resist. Too bad C&J doesn't make a similar boot... ($$$$$$$$$)

^ You could try contacting Chay Cooper at Alfred Sargent. They might have an old RTW model in their archives they could use. They would just do an upcharge for making a shoe not in their current RTW line and this way you could also select the color and sole treatment.

8. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

how is the vamp tightness? I've never tried on a C&J that wasn't super tight on the top of my foot

9. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

^ +1. They are borderline for me.

10. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

^ +1. They are borderline for me.

Felt fine when I was walking around my house [​IMG]

I'll have to wear them outdoors and actually walk in them for a while to find out for sure [​IMG]

myke

11. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

^ You could try contacting Chay Cooper at Alfred Sargent. They might have an old RTW model in their archives they could use. They would just do an upcharge for making a shoe not in their current RTW line and this way you could also select the color and sole treatment.
    They're working on a balmoral pattern.

12. flanker2000fr

flanker2000fr Well-Known Member

I got caught in a bad rain storm 2 days ago with my Tetbury, the shoes got soaked.
    Now the surface has dryed up, but I see a ring of water marks now left on the lether, near the sole. Anyone has any idea?

BTW, I am in the same situation as the OP, and got both lether and suede boots, love them both.

That's because the Tetbury with dainite sole is not made of calf, but nubuck that is polished and waxed to give it a satin finish. So it does not repel water like a good calf, but rather soaks it in like a sponge.

I should know, I have a pair of dark brown Merton loafers in the same configuration (dainite / antique nubuck), and I was just shocked the first time I walked in the rain at how it was absorbing water.

To me it is completely self-defeating to make a shoe with dainite, which is supposed to be better for bad weather, and then use a hide like antique nubuck that does not stand being exposed to water.

I love C&J, but this is plain stupid, and you will never catch me buying a shoe in this configuration ever again.

For your issue about marks, I would suggest the use of renovateur to clean the leather, and then a good polish. It should take care of it.

13. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Is the leather discolored, or swollen, or both? You can probably remove any discoloration. The swelling, in my experience, will never go away. Think of a piece of wood which has been warped by water. I have boots which I wore through a torrential rainstorm and they are still slightly swollen at the welt.

14. Sixth_Sense

Sixth_Sense Senior member

They look great! Mind taking some photos with some type of attire. Trying to see how I could potentially work it into my wardrobe

15. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

Great choice Myke. You should have those for a long time.