• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

my burning question on china

ikemen

Reaction score
hello folks,

i got a colleague who's gonna go work in china as an expat sometime next month, and he just told me one of the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard

can anyone pls tell me it isnt TRUE that every single foreign worker who works in china has to pay the china government freakin' 20% of their salary as tax?

pls enlighten? thanks!

mikej77

Reaction score
Not sure how private industry works but the answer is no if you work for the US Gov't and are stationed in China.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
China is a corrupt, complex and shady place in general, but I don't think it's THAT overt.

Wouldn't be surprised if you had to "grease the wheels" more so than anywhere else to get a deal closed, though...even if working with supposed "organizations of global fame."

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something? In most countries when you work as an expat you have to pay the government some sort of tax on income (exceptions are Dubai, etc..) If its income tax then 20% sounds pretty decent to me. Whats the issue?

K

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
Am I missing something? In most countries when you work as an expat you have to pay the government some sort of tax on income (exceptions are Dubai, etc..) If its income tax then 20% sounds pretty decent to me. Whats the issue?

K

+1. There are two certainties in life: death, and taxes. Why are people so surprised when a government taxes someone who is allowed to work in that country?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
+1. There are two certainties in life: death, and taxes. Why are people so surprised when a government taxes someone who is allowed to work in that country?

And 20% is hella low. When I was working in Amsterdam I was paying around 50% before that shit hit my bank account. Sucks even worse as a foreigner as I wasnt going to reap the benefits. Luckily I became eligible for an expat tax break after a while.

K

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450

K

+1

20% income tax is really low in general.

worldwide-tax.com says this about China's taxes:
The tax on an individual's income is progressive. As at 2008, an individual's income is taxed progressively at 5% - 45%.
They also state the following:
An individual's capital gains are taxable in China at the rate of 20%.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20% seems low for an income tax rate in China.

DNW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Viktri
20% seems low for an income tax rate in China.

It depends on your income. Obviously, the more you make, the more you pay. Don't forget that this is on top of the domestic income tax that the guy will have to pay (save for the foreign tax credit).

Reaction score
ya, but that's America's fault, not China's. The US is the only country I know of where expats still pay domestic tax. Personally I find 20% quite low, wouldnt complain...it's better than Vietnam and way better than Australia.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if a Chinese citizen works in the USA, you think he'd pay no tax to the IRS? You think it would only be 20%?

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
What if a Chinese citizen works in the USA, you think he'd pay no tax to the IRS? You think it would only be 20%?
is that directed at me? Not sure, as it directly follows my post. If so - no he would pay to the IRS, but he would not also pay taxes to the Chinese government on his salary abroad. To my knowledge, Americans are the only ones double-taxed. And lord knows they complain about it....hell, I would too.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would kill for a 20% tax rate.

Patrician

Reaction score

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by [email protected]
is that directed at me? Not sure, as it directly follows my post.

Nope. Directed at the OP.

Originally Posted by [email protected]
If so - no he would pay to the IRS, but he would not also pay taxes to the Chinese government on his salary abroad. To my knowledge, Americans are the only ones double-taxed. And lord knows they complain about it....hell, I would too.

If the two countries have a tax treaty, there will be no double taxation.

The current US tax treaty with China has been in effect since 10/22/86.

The sole purpose is spelled out in the first paragraph of the treaty: The Government of the United States of America and the Government of the People's Republic of China, desiring to conclude an Agreement for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of tax evasion with respect to taxes on income, have agreed as follows...."

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40