• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Brown shoes (including 'spring shoe damage') - pics

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A smattering of my shoes, including my new JLs and Barneys cordovans:

And some black ones:

And the Vass:

And something for the Trads:

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice - give me 3 years - I'll be there. :p

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Very nice - give me 3 years - I'll be there. :p

I bought all of these since joining the forum in March 2005. Hadn't really thought about it until your post. Kind of excessive, but I had some catching up to do.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Very sharp collection. Some nice browns there.

And shoe trees in the Chucks? Outstanding.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Keith T
Very sharp collection. Some nice browns there.

And shoe trees in the Chucks? Outstanding.

Doesn't everyone put shoe trees in their Chucks?

The browns are (top) C & J for Tom James
Left to right: C & J Weymouths, John Lobb Lopez, and C & J cordovans

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Quite nice! what happened to that To Boot two tone job you were looking at?

I have one more pair of shoes on order, and the Lovely and Talented Mrs. Checks has decreed "no more" for a while. But, yes, I still have my eye on it.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I don't know about buying 9 pairs of shoes in the next year..

I've purchased 4 in the past 2 months.. I need like 5-6 more to be well-rounded - that'll run me another 3k. That's a lot of freaking money for shoes in a year.

Maybe I need to start looking at more AEs.
wink.gif
Who's cheap that has good antiquing?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice shoes, well done! The one on top is C&J on 330 last, far left is JL and far right is cordovan, correct?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the fit? It looks like you are getting a lot of rippling, which would indicate that their not quite snug enough.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
How's the fit? It looks like you are getting a lot of rippling, which would indicate that their not quite snug enough.

Yeah, that's what I mentioned to you in one of your threads. The cordovan is the worst one, but I couldn't fit into the lower size. At $259 I couldn't pass it up because the patina is glorious, despite the ripples.

This has been part of my learning curve: to buy shoes that seem quite snug at first. The problem is a large bump on the top of my left foot that militates against sizing down, so I'll rarely get a perfect fit. The Lobbs, Tom James, and Vass were so tight they were painful, but now I'm rewarded with fewer ripples after suffering for the fit, and now they fit fairly well.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Very nice shoes, well done! The one on top is C&J on 330 last, far left is JL and far right is cordovan, correct?

Middle one is JL; otherwise correct.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dig those C&J cordovan. What is the model name? I don't recall seeing them in the Plal catalogue. In fact, aren't cordovan bals pretty rare? I thought only Alden made a pair.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I dig those C&J cordovan. What is the model name? I don't recall seeing them in the Plal catalogue. In fact, aren't cordovan bals pretty rare? I thought only Alden made a pair.

I got them at Barneys. I'll have to check when I get home. IIRC they just say "Crockett & Jones genuine shell cordovan" without a model name. I'll get a better pic of the color up-close, which is nothing short of amazing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads