• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My boss said I dress like his doorman

Pinstripes

Reaction score
Now, I know what you all think but it is not true. I don't wear square-toe shoes, dark-colored shirts and my pants on my hips. Actually, my boss was specifically referring to a pair of walnut AEs I was wearing one day. When I wear suits he looks me over, sighs, and says OK.

Also, to put into context, he critiques everyone on the desk, and others draw a lot more attention than me for wearing the wrong shade of brown pants or wearing a cheap shirt. Now, it all said as a joke but after sending 10 years in a fairly competitive office environment my intuition tells me to upgrade my wardrobe and do it fast.

I think that the option of copying my boss' style is out of the question - his suits look very bespoky to me and probably involve shaving an endangered goat somewhere in the Himalayas. His shoes are very fashion-forward. I browsed through the site here and I think they might be Lobbs.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I am new to this forum and I guess this was my introduction.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pinstripes
Now, I know what you all think but it is not true. I don't wear square-toe shoes, dark-colored shirts and my pants on my hips. Actually, my boss was specifically referring to a pair of walnut AEs I was wearing one day. When I wear suits he looks me over, sighs, and says OK.

Also, to put into context, he critiques everyone on the desk, and others draw a lot more attention than me for wearing the wrong shade of brown pants or wearing a cheap shirt. Now, it all said as a joke but after sending 10 years in a fairly competitive office environment my intuition tells me to upgrade my wardrobe and do it fast.

I think that the option of copying my boss' style is out of the question - his suits look very bespoky to me and probably involve shaving an endangered goat somewhere in the Himalayas. His shoes are very fashion-forward. I browsed through the site here and I think they might be Lobbs.

Any suggestions?

your boss sounds like an insecure prick.

tell him you'll start wearing more expensive clothing once you get a payrise closer to what he's on

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Welcome!

Quit your job and find someone else to make rich. Or go into business for yourself, make yourself rich and set your own dress code.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glados1984

tell him you'll start wearing more expensive clothing once you get a payrise closer to what he's on

Good advice. A joke is something accepted by both parties as a joke, if the receiver does not find that funny ,it is not a joke.

Some people have the need to show off and making clear they're in charge at any available occasion job related or not.

Pinstripes

Reaction score

Ha, you are right on the money about insecurity! But as far as bosses go, I've had worse. However, I think that I can advance my career further my slightly modifying my style to neutralize his comments without looking like a cheaper version of him.

Coburn

Reaction score
Now, I know what you all think but it is not true. I don't wear square-toe shoes, dark-colored shirts and my pants on my hips. Actually, my boss was specifically referring to a pair of walnut AEs I was wearing one day.

I have three pairs of Walnut AE's

When I wear suits he looks me over, sighs, and says OK.
My wife does that to me

This is funny. The standard lament on this forum is the lack of clothing standards in business today.

Where do you work? Most of the regulars on this forum will apply for a job.

I think that the option of copying my boss' style is out of the question - his suits look very bespoky to me and probably involve shaving an endangered goat somewhere in the Himalayas.
Some of the regulars here shave goats. But, that's more recreational then sartorial.

His shoes are very fashion-forward. I browsed through the site here and I think they might be Lobbs.
LOL
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I hope you post more often. You're a funny guy.

Any suggestions?
Ask your boss to post some pictures of his suits.

Good intro. Welcome to Style forum -- God help you.

Pinstripes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Welcome!

Quit your job and find someone else to make rich. Or go into business for yourself, make yourself rich and set your own dress code.

Thank you! I am all for it but need a little bit more experience before I can pull it off. For now, I am looking to hunker down and survive. Any suggestions on where to go from Hickey Freeman and AE to something that is not quite Lobb/bespoke?

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coburn

QFT

Glados1984

Reaction score
Ha, you are right on the money about insecurity! But as far as bosses go, I've had worse. However, I think that I can advance my career further my slightly modifying my style to neutralize his comments without looking like a cheaper version of him.

No you cant. normal people dont critisise their staff like that in the workplace. comments about the wrong shade of brown are not coming from a man who wants a fashion savy workforce, its from an insecure prick trying to assert authority.

Chose the right shade of brown and you will still be ripped into over something completely different. i guarntee it.

keep your head down and start looking for a new job. what field are you in?

Pinstripes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coburn
I have three pairs of Walnut AE's

I love that color! I have these

http://www.shoebuy.com/allen-edmonds...-_-none-_-none

My wife does that to me

laugh.gif
I have a girl friend and she helps but I know it will all change if we tie the knot.

This is funny. The standard lament on this forum is the lack of clothing standards in business today.

Where do you work? Most of the regulars on this forum will apply for a job.

i work for one of the "better" banks on a trading floor that is not losing money. My boss came from a "bad" bank and he lost a few yards there.

Some of the regulars here shave goats. But, that's more recreational then sartorial.

eh.gif

LOL
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I hope you post more often. You're a funny guy.

thanks!

Ask your boss to post some pictures of his suits.

my biggest fear is that he is already here...

thank you

Pinstripes

Reaction score
No you cant. normal people dont critisise their staff like that in the workplace. comments about the wrong shade of brown are not coming from a man who wants a fashion savy workforce, its from an insecure prick trying to assert authority.

Chose the right shade of brown and you will still be ripped into over something completely different. i guarntee it.

keep your head down and start looking for a new job. what field are you in?

banking
smile.gif
I probably can benefit from changing fields too!

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walnut AEs? Upgrade your shoes, it would not be hard. And wear darker browns and maybe black. Or burgundy.

Don't listen to the people who say your boss is a loser. He has a point.

Glados1984

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Walnut AEs? Upgrade your shoes, it would not be hard. And wear darker browns and maybe black. Or burgundy.

Don't listen to the people who say your boss is a loser. He has a point.

what point is that?

PNW Guy

Reaction score
No...don't quit your job over this. That's terrible career advice. It sucks but at least you have a job right now. There is a chain of command in any office and you should just suck it up and take it like a man. Some day you will be boss and you can be any way you like but until then...just shrug it off.

Some here may not agree but for quality and timeless style you cannot beat the price of Brooks Brothers. Eventually you may get bored with the selection but it is as good a place to start building your wardrobe as any. Most everything is made in America, the styles are classic and the staff is courteous and knowledgeable. Plus every now and then they have great sales where you can practically steal clothes off the racks.

Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads