• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My body is getting more tone, but my face is still fat?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been working out and reasonably dieting for about 3 months and have noticed great results. I've lost about 20 lbs and 2-3 inches. My body is getting more toned, however my face looks exactly the same. I've had this same problem my whole life.

When I was younger I swam competitively (11 sessions a week plus 3-4 sessions of weightlifting), so I was really lean and cut, but the baby fat in my face never left. While I know I will probably never reach that mold again without the use of supplements/drugs of some kind, I'm starting to think that there is just nothing I can do, and that I am doomed with poor genetics in this regard.

Any insights? I'm not really past the point of caring, though I guess I'm starting to get over it. I feel better and from the neck down, I look a hell of a lot better. It is just that I wish that with all the work I've been putting into my health lately, EVERYTHING would look better. But I suppose that's not really the point...

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might have a food intolerance? Perhaps you're wheat, gluten or dairy intolerant? At any rate you'll probably appreciate that you store some fat in those cheeks as you age. Congrats on the progress so far!

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
I'd say you're just genetically predispositioned to having a chubby or "baby" face. Facial fat is normally the first to go, at least to a noticeable degree. Sorry.
frown.gif

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
You might have a food intolerance? Perhaps you're wheat, gluten or dairy intolerant? At any rate you'll probably appreciate that you store some fat in those cheeks as you age. Congrats on the progress so far!

Doubt its an intolerance, but in this case it is actually likely your genetics. Just take your boyish charm and run with it!

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found reducing sodium in my diet has a drastic affect on how fat my face looks.

Sylvr

Reaction score
carb cycling and reduced sodium intake. reduce carb intake to below 100g a day (ideally below 50g, but 100g is reasonable if you lift weights), drink a gallon of water a day (take in no liquid calories) and try to minimize sodium. literally, you will notice a difference in just a couple of weeks. make sure to take before and after pictures to note the difference because if you are just going off day to day, its not as easy to see the progression.

your diet should be high fat with moderate protein. think calorically 55% fat, 35% protein, and 10% carbs. basically you will just be eating meat, fiberous vegetables, cheese, egg, and drinking water.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lowering your salt intake will reduce how much water you hold, thus making you look slimmer. Body builders usually lower their salt intake drastically a few days before a competition to look better.

Anyway, with regards to Sylvr's post, I thought it would help to hear another diet that I like much better. I am definitely not a proponent of the low-carb diet. Though it may work up to a certain degree, I think it's unnatrual.

I think it's far better to speed up your metabolism by eating 6-7 healthy meals a day. This means low fat (10% or less of total calories) foods, whole grains, lots of veggies, high amounts of protein and very little refined sugars. If you are working out, you should ideally eat your weight in protein a day. This is really difficult when you're also watching your fat intake, so whey protein powder is a good addition.

Sylvr

Reaction score
while i dont believe in a high carb diet for fat loss, i do think its a good idea to split up your meals. ideally 7 meals is great, but even four smaller meals (carb heavier towards the mornings and none before bed) would be a good change from the usual skip breakfast, then heavy lunch and heavier dinner.

just to clarify, by low-carb im not saying buy prepackaged "low-carb" labeled meals. i am perfectly happy and "natual" eating steak and cauliflower. throw in some broccoli, garlic, onions, peppers and its great. mix things up with chicken, turkey, pork, creamy sauces and there is plenty of variety. there is definitely a natural way to live without bread, pasta, rice, and sugar.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Facial exercises or you may want to do some yoga.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about body building, but I do know a bit about diet and nutrition, a persons face can become bloated by food intolerances, excess salt etc. as mentioned above, but also a generally poor diet and lifestyle can make your face become bloated.

Not getting enough sleep, drinking a lot of booze (this really makes a difference) and eating badly can all make your face bloated. Try cutting certain things out of your diet for a couple of weeks (milk,wheat etc.), or cutting down on booze for a bit.

Of course you might naturally just have a more rounded face, on the plus side this will make people perceive you as more trustworthy and innocent, you are also more likely to be found not guilty of a crime at trial.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
I don't know a lot about body building, but I do know a bit about diet and nutrition, a persons face can become bloated by food intolerances, excess salt etc. as mentioned above, but also a generally poor diet and lifestyle can make your face become bloated.

Not getting enough sleep, drinking a lot of booze (this really makes a difference) and eating badly can all make your face bloated. Try cutting certain things out of your diet for a couple of weeks (milk,wheat etc.), or cutting down on booze for a bit.

Of course you might naturally just have a more rounded face, on the plus side this will make people perceive you as more trustworthy and innocent, you are also more likely to be found not guilty of a crime at trial.

when you defraud people of millions of dollars and get off the hook aren't you going to be thanking your angelic, puffy-looking face?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist

Makes sense. Will my fat face also help me successfully defend/prosecute cases?

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus

I doubt it, trust entails belief and people want to believe those who seem powerful, serious.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus

You in criminal law in Palo Alto cheessus? What county is that, San Mateo?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads