• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Balmoral Boots

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His base last is a EG202 similar, is it not?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
His base last is a EG202 similar, is it not?

No...not similar at all. Different shape altogether and more roominess in the toe box area due to a higher toe box

wilhelm

Reaction score
I received my suede shoes from Cliff today, and love them:

chocolate-suede-shoes.jpg

They are made on a bespoke last from Spring Line of Northampton and fit my oddly shaped feet better than any other shoe I've worn. Cliff got all my requested details right, both with regards to fit and to style. Now I see no reason to order shoes from anyone else. (c:

fox81

Reaction score
great work

can you tell us how long it took to get the lasts and then for cliff to make the shoes?

you visited springline in person i imagine

wilhelm

Reaction score
Yes, I visited Spring Line in person, which was a nice experience. The last maker easily spotted the cause of why most shoes don't fit me particularly well, and suggested ways to avoid those problems. He also helped me choose a nice last shape in line with my preferences.

Cliff met me at Spring Line, showed me some of his excellent work and taught me a lot about how he makes his shoes before giving me a tour of Northampton and driving me to the train station. All in all, I had a very enjoyable day.

I can't remember the exact dates, but it took Spring Line a little over a month to finish the lasts, and Cliff a couple of months to finish the shoes. So you'll have to plan ahead a bit to get your shoes or boots ready for the intended season, but it's well worth the wait. These are my favourite shoes already.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wilhelm....excellent update

I too have a Springline bespoke last in the works and hope my experience as to fit mirrors yours

Curious, did you try a mock sample shoe with Cliff in order to test the last?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice color on the suede. In terms of Springline's prices, is it still 190 sterling to get a bespoke last made up?

wilhelm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Curious, did you try a mock sample shoe with Cliff in order to test the last?

No.

Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Very nice color on the suede. In terms of Springline's prices, is it still 190 sterling to get a bespoke last made up?

Yes, that's what I paid.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Sprigline bespoke last cost me 228 pounds when I paid late last month in Dec.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilhelm
I received my suede shoes from Cliff today, and love them:
chocolate-suede-shoes.jpg
They are made on a bespoke last from Spring Line of Northampton and fit my oddly shaped feet better than any other shoe I've worn. Cliff got all my requested details right, both with regards to fit and to style. Now I see no reason to order shoes from anyone else. (c:

Wilhelm, congratulations on a fine-looking pair of shoes! I've never gone the bespoke route with lasts or shoes, but your comments have me strongly considering. A few basis questions: 1) how many times did you visit Springline? Was it just for the initial measurements, or also when the lasts were finished? I make it to London a few times a year, but not sure I could always carve out time for multiple trips to Northampton. 2) once a last is finalized, does one then need to have multiple lasts commissioned in order to account for different styles (e.g. rounded, squared, squared & chiseled, etc.), or would Cliff use his guy to modify? 3) do differences in the last result in any visible differences between the right and left shoe? Congrats again!

wilhelm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
1) how many times did you visit Springline? Was it just for the initial measurements, or also when the lasts were finished? I make it to London a few times a year, but not sure I could always carve out time for multiple trips to Northampton.

Just once. Cliff picked the lasts up at Spring Line when they were ready.

2) once a last is finalized, does one then need to have multiple lasts commissioned in order to account for different styles (e.g. rounded, squared, squared & chiseled, etc.), or would Cliff use his guy to modify?

Yes, as far as I've understood, if you want different styles you need different lasts. You can order multiple styles from Spring Line. These are less expensive than your first lasts.

3) do differences in the last result in any visible differences between the right and left shoe?

That depends on the shape of your feet. Mine are slightly different, but there is no noticeable difference between the shoes.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Wilhelm. Did you go with the lasted shoe trees as well? What was the damage?

wilhelm

Reaction score
Thanks, Wilhelm. Did you go with the lasted shoe trees as well? What was the damage?

I wanted to wait until I had checked if the shoes actually fit before ordering the lasted trees, so no, not yet. I can't remember how much they cost.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wilhelm
Yes, I visited Spring Line in person, which was a nice experience. The last maker easily spotted the cause of why most shoes don't fit me particularly well, and suggested ways to avoid those problems. He also helped me choose a nice last shape in line with my preferences.
I contacted Springline on Friday about an alternative to a physical visit: a plaster cast of my foot!
bounce2.gif
Here's how they do it....NEAT! Will update forum re: response. I don't see why they would reject it...as long as the cast is done right.

ferguscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
I contacted Springline on Friday about an alternative to a physical visit: a plaster cast of my foot!
bounce2.gif

Here's how they do it....NEAT!

Will update forum re: response. I don't see why they would reject it...as long as the cast is done right.

This is completely awesome. Please keep us updated.

For those who have already used Springline: do any of you wear orthotics? I use Orthaheel 3/4 orthotics in my dress shoes, and would like to do so even with bespoke shoes. I wonder how they would incorporate that into the last design.

Stuart

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads