1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

My Balmoral Boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AnGeLiCbOrIs, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Glad for you Geoff. I'm really toying with this. If my horse wins in the Grand National tomorrow I'll get a pair.

2. bigbris1

bigbris1 Well-Known Member

Wow. I might just go ahead & order the brown caps with the killer toe antiquing

3. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Well-Known Member

Quick question before settling on final design: I like the Shannon, but if the Shannon II the one with the brogueing up the sides (like Manton's)?

EDIT - found the pics - Shannon II it is.

4. Geoff Gander

Geoff Gander Well-Known Member

Glad for you Geoff. I'm really toying with this. If my horse wins in the Grand National tomorrow I'll get a pair.

Thanks! I figure this will be my one indulgence to myself this year, since I'm cutting back everywhere (wife is starting a business).

5. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

Any idea if he does dainite soles?

6. pabloj

pabloj Well-Known Member

Well it would certainly make a difference to me.
    This is clear enough

7. Ich_Dien

This is clear enough

Well what would you prefer? Loake or Lobb?

8. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Lobb.

9. pabloj

pabloj Well-Known Member

I'd prefer not seeing the same question over and over.
    And I have no problem with some anonimous cobbler who knows his trade well even if has no big name is his CV.
    I'm perfectly fine with the photos in this thread and hope to ear again from the OP when he'll get the shoes.

10. Ich_Dien

I'd prefer not seeing the same question over and over. And I have no problem with some anonimous cobbler who knows his trade well even if has no big name is his CV. I'm perfectly fine with the photos in this thread and hope to ear again from the OP when he'll get the shoes.
    You're a fool then if you believe that two candidates both with thirty years experience in the same business would have the same skill. Yet one had worked at a superlative shoe maker, renowned worldwide and obviously soaking up the business ethos and experience accrued with that, the other had all the experience accumulated from working at a lower tier shoemaker. This is like saying for example, as a business hiring a new employee that you didn't care which University a person graduated from, as long as they both held the same degree. What nonsense.

11. Metlin

Metlin Well-Known Member

You're a fool then if you believe that two candidates both with thirty years experience in the same business would have the same skill.

Yet one had worked at a superlative shoe maker, renowned worldwide and obviously soaking up the business ethos and experience accrued with that, the other had all the experience accumulated from working at a lower tier shoemaker.

This is like saying for example, as a business hiring a new employee that you didn't care which University a person graduated from, as long as they both held the same degree. What nonsense.

Yet there are people from no-name schools who are geniuses, and people without pedigrees that can do a much better job than people with.

Your point?

12. pabloj

pabloj Well-Known Member

This is like saying for example, as a business hiring a new employee that you didn't care which University a person graduated from, as long as they both held the same degree. What nonsense.

Wrong example, it doesn't compare to what I wrote.
    And, take it easy man.

13. Ich_Dien

Yet there are people from no-name schools who are geniuses, and people without pedigrees that can do a much better job than people with.

Your point?

Rather rare in my experience.

14. srivats

srivats Well-Known Member

Rather rare in my experience.

I have to disagree. I have a PhD and I have conistently seen very smart people from lower rung schools, sometimes better than those from the top 10. The best point is that these people don't have the 'I-am-from-MIT/stanford/whatever-so-i-am-better-than-you' attitude that I absolutely hate.

15. fuji

fuji Well-Known Member

That is a beautiful shoe. If he makes loafers I may have to buy a pair.

16. nmprisons

nmprisons Well-Known Member

I can't wait to hear about the leather quality when these arrive. They look like a steal at that price point if the materials are of high quality. If they are, then I am getting in line on the order front.

17. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Well-Known Member

The shoes are fully hand welted. I think that is something neither Loake nor Lobb features.

18. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Well-Known Member

The shoes are fully hand welted. I think that is something neither Loake nor Lobb features.

amnon, i might have to stop by the 5 towns to check these out in person

19. AnGeLiCbOrIs

They are ready for shipping. I'll post pictures later. I just aksied him to hold off shipping until I get back from LA.

20. AnGeLiCbOrIs