My Balmoral Boots

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AnGeLiCbOrIs, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

Am I the only one who thinks that balmoral boots really need to be bespoke? And I'm not even talking about the "last" per se. Of greater concern to me is the circumference of one's upper ankle (lower calf?); that which is encased by the top of the boot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the lacing area is supposed to close completely when a balmoral boot is done up (just like an oxford shoe). And it's supposed to be snug. For this to happen, the circumference of the boot's upper area would need to be tailored specifically for a given wearer. The fit would need to be very precise. Some people have chunky ankles, some have skinny ankles, with little correlation to their foot size. I can't see an RTW solution working very well.

Case in point: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=358

Look at the way the G&G's lacing area remains open when done up. Me not like [​IMG]

I would love to buy some shoes from this guy, but this issue prevents me from pulling the trigger (also, I have another 10kg of body mass to ditch, which will change my ankle circumference).

What do people think?

Stuart

2. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

You make a good point about doing a balmoral boot bespoke. The attached pictures you linked to are my boots. But due to my high instep, I don't close up any oxford laced shoes tightly and none of my shoes/boots are not bespoke

This will change when I get my Springline bespoke last made up in November.

However on Rider boot special...the boot itself is roomier in the ankle area and the laces are always closed tight...with no discomfort to me. The Rider boot in general is quite roomy. Wore them today and realized they are the roomiest boots I have...and edge out Clifford's as to comfort...only perhaps because I've been wearing the Rider boots for many months longer. But Rider's boots are cordovan leather and my feet get a bit warm.

I can wear both Cliffords and G&G's balmoral boots with the lacing all tight and nicely closed...but I don't find it very comfortable after a few hours. I prefer the boot laces to be a bit loose

I do not find balmoral boots to be the most comfortable shoes. That distinction goes to my lazyman side gussetted shoes by G&G and Cleverley. I also find that due to my high instep...non-bespoke blucher/derby boots fit me more comfortably.

If someone desires a comfortable casual ankle boot...look no further than the Alden Indy boot in Suede. This derby/blucher boot better accommodates a high instep and feels comfortable

Note, in addition to using one of Clifford's last for my first commission...he also had me measure the circumference of the area about 10mm above my ankle bone

3. ferguscan

ferguscan Senior member

Note, in addition to using one of Clifford's last for my first commission...he also had me measure the circumference of the area about 10mm above my ankle bone

Thanks for the reply Michael. Your last comment makes me think that each pair might indeed be tailored to the customer's ankle circumference. Which is great news. Can anyone else comment on having provided this measurement to Clifford, and on the fit of his boots around the upper ankle?

Also Michael, I see from earlier in the thread that you're unfamiliar with RM Williams boots. This is something you should remedy. They are whole-cut chelsea boots, goodyear welted by hand. Very comfortable, and much much cheaper than G&G or Cleverly. There is a big thread devoted to these boots, if you do a search.

Thanks,

Stuart

4. clintonf

clintonf Senior member

Hey clint how do i work out my sizeing. I only have a pair of RMW boots that fit me well to go off?
    No access to EG, CJ, lobb, Loak ect

Sorry for my lack of a reply, I was out of the Country (UK). Howeve, it seems that you've been "taken care of" already.

Regards

Clint

5. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

The photos below from Cliff show the shoes he has made for me. I will take some more when I get them. There was a small defect in one of the toecaps made late in the process and Cliff offered to remake the shoes (speedily) or give me a very substantial discount. I took him up on the discount offer as I have not had a pair of shoes from him before and this will enable me to gauge my size properly for future orders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. JCachot

JCachot Member

Fantastic stuff! I'm going to have to meet this guy.

7. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

I received my shoes from Cliff today. I was very pleased to find that his size 9 was a very good fit for me. I am always nervous buying shoes I have not tried on.

Style wise they look the antithesis of G&G's long pointy style, one might almost call them blobby, when I opened the box I thought the toe-cap a little small but on the feet I like their style.

As a shoe consumer not a maker it seems to me that Cliff's soles are the finest part of his work and are well up to the standard of any non bespoke shoe if have. His leather seems good but not the finest and I will be polishing them darker as I am looking for a very dark brown shoe. I like the brogue work and the small brogue work and that along the Balmoral line is very well done.

I will leave you to find the blemish for which Cliff gave me a very generous discount, I know where it is and have to look to find it. All in all this is a something I can see myself doing again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^They look nice.

9. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While Cuban heels cant inwards, I don't think I've ever seen a heel stack that cants outwards on dress shoes. Is this normal?

10. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Very fine shoes Culverwood.

11. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

blemish is on the lateral aspect of the toe of the shoe that goes on your left foot. Correct?

12. pabloj

pabloj Senior member

We are almost there!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Pengranger

Pengranger Senior member

We are almost there!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They look great! Please post some more photos as Cliff progresses.

14. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

[​IMG]
    It look like G&G Warwick, isn't it?

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I am always nervous buying shoes I have not tried on.

[​IMG]

why didn't you try them on?

btw, i like them a lot.