• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Audleys: What is the Problem?

Lawman

Reaction score
I have a pair of handgrade Audleys that I purchased from Plal four years ago. From the outset, the right shoe was wrinkling dramatically. It has now gotten to the point that the creases are so pronounced that I no longer wear the shoes. On the side of the shoe, there is severe mini "alligator" cracking as well. The whole piece of leather looks very dry to me. The other (left) shoe is wearing beautifully with no excessive creasing. I have 8 pairs of C&Js and this is the only one that has developed this problem. Shoes have been well-cared for and, like I said, not one shoe in my closet looks like this. Thoughts? Diagnosis? Prognosis?

Mark

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
almost looks like excess polish problem, but that wouldn't make sense given that it is only on one shoe.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are not the first one to bring this up about C&J crust leather handgrades. If you do a search you can see extensive posts of people thinking their shoes have a problem. It is not an issue, it is just crust leather. The leather comes fairly natural to the factory and the finish is built up using waxes and polishing at the factory. When you walk the natural leather shows through at the creases. It pretty much just patina's faster. I would use reno on them and rub in in fairly hard to get some excess finish off, then I would polish them with wax. If you want to deposit more color into them I would polish with a light coat of brown cream first, then wax. Over time doing this simple routine they will look beautiful.

I believe this is part of what makes these shoes "handgrade". Aniline dyed shoes come already dyed to the factory and then they are just shined up after the shoe is made.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you dont like the look send them to get stripped and redyed a darker tone

Lawman

Reaction score
stupid question, but what is reno, and where would one send shoes to get them stripped? Thanks again.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lawman
stupid question, but what is reno, and where would one send shoes to get them stripped? Thanks again.

Reno is Saphir renovateur. One of the best cleaners/conditioners for leather on the planet.

Getting them stripped and re-dyed I would send them to Ron Rider.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Tremendous help.

Lawman, FWIW, your shoes should be in the shoes with character thread.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

most shoe and leather care shops should be able to do this. i use a prolific chain in my state (*shoe hospital)

ask to see some samples of their work

ive salvaged a favorite pair of shoes this way, after messing up the polish job.

clock

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my dark brown weymouth, one side creases exactly like Op's. I thought it's normal, something to do with the leather character or property. The funny thing is that all this while I never thought the leath is dry, because it feels soft and bends soft, softer than the other one...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's not cheap leather, that's the issue of very natural leathers. Some love it, some hate it. I like it.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody has addressed the fact that this is happening only on the right shoe. I'm no expert, but maybe it's a quality control issue?

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather is a natural substance and therefore different behaviour between tow shoes is not surprising and not in itself a defect. I don't think it looks too bad but using a dark tan polish or even oxblood would do what you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads