• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My ascot chang order

rsp1

Reaction score
Well, my first order from Ascot Chang (and my first custom shirt order) arrived. I am extremely pleased with the results. The shirts fit perfectly and the details are excellent (patterns line up, nicely tapered per my request, button stitching, etc).

I will definitely be returning there for future orders.

BjornH

Reaction score
Bring out that digital camera .

Bjorn

rsp1

Reaction score
I will post pics shortly.

jrh

Reaction score
I just visited AC in NYC yesterday. I have been a customer for serveral years. Usually I simply called for swatches and they arrived in the mail. Several orders were placed over the phone.

I was amazed at the efficency at the AC shop. Within less then a minute my last order was pulled, swatches infront of me and off we went. I ordered safari shirts, which AC easily custom designed to me likes.

Ascot Chang is a top-notch shirt maker. Check them out.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the minimum order at AC?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I love AC, I am disappointed in their Website. Years ago, they had this real nifty kit they sent out via snail mail that had a folder with a  about 30 fabric swatches in it, a tape measure and an instruction book on how to put your shirt together. Unfortunately, they no longer do that, and the variety of fabric samples they show on their Website is very limited.
I called them in NY and they said they don't do those mailer kits anymore.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know their minimum order as well.
btw, anyone know how their prices in Hong Kong compare to the prices in LA or NY?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked...minimum order of 4 in the NYC store

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped by AC today, in Beverly Hills. The minimum order for MTM shirts is 4, turn around time is about 4 weeks.

Chilli padi

Reaction score
If you have the chance to go to Hong Kong, I don't think they have a minimum order (can't remember) and the turnaround is two or three days.  I have four shirts from Ascot Chang, all ordered from the store in Central.  I also have about eight from Jantzen.  The AC shirts are noticeably better, but by the same token they were on average at least three or four times as expensive as the Jantzen shirts (AC cost me the HKD equivalent of around GBP100 per shirt, but I chose good cloth e.g. Thomas Mason Silverline).  Ascot Chang visits London a couple of times a year, for those interested.

jrh

Reaction score
100's oxford $100 to 125

120's sea island $160 to 200

140s sea island $225 to 260

Generally speaking for custom shirts

naturlaut

Reaction score
All custom orders from AC are made in a factory in Hong Kong (in Hung Hom if anyone knows where that is). Some ready-made items are made in China where labour costs are lower and quality is not as demanding. Thus, custom orders in Hong Kong could take as little as 2 to 3 days, alterations within a week. There is also a alteration-ist stationed at the Central store, where he does all the alterations if you are purchasing a Brioni through AC.

The minimum order in Hong Kong is 3 shirts, although after a while, it is kind of flexible.

Three main classes of fabrics: DJ Anderson, Thomas Mason, and other unknown mills. DJAs are the most expensive, usually starting at around super 150s (as a rough guide for fabric character), for around US$320 or so. TM is a little cheaper, and in my opinion, wears better too (don't crease easily, etc.), and starting from Super 120s at around US$160 or so. My usual order, which is TM super 150s, costs around US$200. Other fabrics, which are personally chosen by Ascot Chang's son (who is in charge of the company now together with an uncle), are from cheaper mills in Italy and all over. I tried one shirt from that book and while it was a pattern I like, the fabric is noticeably of a lower quality (rough on the skin, prone to creases, stiffer drape), and they start at mere US$120. Their 'default' buttons are like those from T&A, and if you request 3mm pearl buttons, another US$10. I don't like the buttons they have, as they are not high quality MOP. They appear a bit yellowish, almost like troca.

US charges about 30% import duty (if my information is up to date) on all cotton goods, so prices in US will be at least 30% higher.

I have my personal opinions on AC, but generally speaking, they make a splendid shirt. I think I posted some pictures earlier.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads