1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

My Allen Edmonds shoes have stretched as they've broken in

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by viator, Sep 19, 2009.

1. viator

viator Senior member

Hello everyone,

I have a pair of Allen Edmonds Burbank bit loafers that I got in July and have been wearing about 2-3 times per week since then. Lately I've noticed that they fit looser and looser - it seems they are stretching and my heel now moves somewhat freely in them. When walking I don't slip out of them, but there is definitely more room than there should be.

Is there anything that can be done about this? I purchased them from an AE shop (I know, I overpaid) and I wonder if they would do something for me. Does anyone know? If they won't, is there anything I or a skilled cobbler can do?

2. Drydis Greis

Drydis Greis Senior member

Go back to the shop and talk to the Reps. See what can be done. As I have never had this problem, that's the best I can do for you. Hopefully, someone with a similar experience can help further.

3. srivats

srivats Senior member

Buy some tongue pads and stick them under the toungue. It costs about $2.

what the pad will do is push your heel further into the back of the shoe than where it is now. This will reduce most slippage, if not all. Try it.

4. viator

viator Senior member

OK great, thanks very much. I will go talk to the shop, otherwise I will go for tongue pads.

5. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Senior member

OK great, thanks very much. I will go talk to the shop, otherwise I will go for tongue pads.

Also possible to use an insole, or thicker socks.

6. Chim12

Chim12 Senior member

Tongue pads and maybe even a heel pad as well depending on how much stretching. There really shouldn't have been much a all. Was this the first pair of AEs, or is this the same size you've been wearing in this make?

7. InsBrokerTX

InsBrokerTX Senior member

I too have had this problem with my AE Codys. I am looking for tongue pads and just haven't located them locally yet. The heal pads I tried really didn't do much good on their own.

It is also time for me to send them in for recrafting. I am going to ask them if there is anything they can do to help eleviate some of the problem.

8. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Go to the shoe department at Nordstroms. They will happily give you a pair of tongue pads, or handful for free.

9. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Hapad Inc. says dark brown tongue cushions that are more substantial and less conspicuous than the freebie white ones I can get at a local shoe store. link

10. viator

viator Senior member

Tongue pads and maybe even a heel pad as well depending on how much stretching. There really shouldn't have been much a all. Was this the first pair of AEs, or is this the same size you've been wearing in this make?

It's my first pair. The salesperson said that they should be a bit snug when you buy them because they will stretch. Unfortunately they seem to have stretched way too much.